2019 Trade thread

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stephen hill was linked to Gold Coast in early June. Brad back to Melbourne. Stephen to Queensland. He is a free agent.

He’s probably not ‘elite’ anymore after two injury interrupted years. Is 29. If he shows a bit to finish the season he’d have 3 years and might be worth a crack given finals experience in a ‘premiership window’ for us or as a highly skilled teacher at Gold Coast.

Outside of that do we have the trade assets to trade for an elite player (who isn’t a free agent). Mcstay, cutler, (not saying I want to trade either or I think they are leaving, they are just the most obvious potentially in play assets) maybe a largely untried kid looking to get a crack (Wooler/Skinner?) and our draft picks.

Mcstay + pies first rounder doesn’t get you an elite player. And future picks/pick swaps with us don’t look that attractive anymore.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
This years first from pies and our next which likely pick in teens? Can we trade our first pick in consecutive drafts ?
Seeing as we brought a first back in this year, yes.

You’re first round pick doesn’t have to be your own. As long as you have a first, there’s very few restrictions on further and future trades.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I find it amusing looking through some of the Trade board threads and seeing the unrealistic proposals some are putting forward... LIke for example look what a few Freo supporters are offering up in the Tim Kelly thread :oops:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I find it amusing looking through some of the Trade board threads and seeing the unrealistic proposals some are putting forward... LIke for example look what a few Freo supporters are offering up in the Tim Kelly thread :oops:
Or what Adelaide fans believe Hugh Greenwood is worth, and trotting out "look what Brisbane paid for Charlie Cameron" and saying that type of overpay* is required for a contracted player.

*Not my words, or insinuation.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Or what Adelaide fans believe Hugh Greenwood is worth, and trotting out "look what Brisbane paid for Charlie Cameron" and saying that type of overpay* is required for a contracted player.

*Not my words, or insinuation.
Funny how many people say you need to overpay so much for a contracted player but on the other hand players seem to be able to go wherever they want, contracted or not?

Not amusing at all. I'm expecting two, first round picks, two first round picks for Cutler. Anything less and I will demand the whole football department be removed and replaced.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Saints (and Kangas) have salary cap space up the wazoo but no one to spend it on... Expecting them to be throwing money around a bit again this year.

And using it against each other...Goldstein reckons he has 5 years left... St Kilda is into Goldstein...North has offered 2 years with a trigger for a 3rd...

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Kelly to WC
Cameron to Lions
Our 1st round pick to Geelong

I would be happy.
West Coast getting the Brownlow favourite for a 3 game player? As promising as his 3 games have been, I feel like West Coast would be absolutely laughing straight to the bank if they could do that.

Geelong getting pick 17 currently in a weak draft for the Brownlow favourite would be absolutely filthy.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Coast getting the Brownlow favourite for a 3 game player? As promising as his 3 games have been, I feel like West Coast would be absolutely laughing straight to the bank if they could do that.

Geelong getting pick 17 currently in a weak draft for the Brownlow favourite would be absolutely filthy.
There would be more in the trade from the West Coast side I would Imagine. Add West Coasts 2019 first rounder as well. Then add in the steak knives.

I think that West Coast would have to give up their first to Geelong as well and a third rounder coming back to us.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
I think that West Coast would have to give up their first to Geelong as well and a third rounder coming back to us.
Still feels to me to be a bit unders for Geelong that way.

If we compare it to the Neale trade, we got Neale and 30 for 6, 19 and 55.
Here we are talking about a Neale calibre player who is only 24 years old for what is currently pick 16 and 17.

Correct me if I'm wrong Briztoon/anyone, but as far as I've been reading on here this draft is considered weaker and significantly more shallow than last years draft as well.

Maybe the way there is through GWS. They are tied to Green who is projected to place around pick 5. West Coast could attempt to trade this year's (current) pick 17 and 35, and next year's first rounder, for GWS's (current) 10 and 14 (plus whatever later pick swaps would be required to get it over the line). That would give GWS adequate currency to match even if Green is bid at pick 3, and will give West Coast a bit more trade currency for Geelong.

We could then throw in our first rounder for Cameron.

West Coast gain Kelly, pick 16. West Coast lose Cameron, pick 17, pick 35, 2020 first round pick.
Geelong gain pick 10, pick 14. Geelong lose Kelly.
GWS gain pick 17, pick 35, West Coast 2020 first round pick. GWS lose pick 10, pick 14.
Brisbane gain Cameron. Brisbane lose pick 16.

We pay over, GWS get slight unders which could be balanced with later pick swaps. Seems a bit under for Kelly too but AFAIK he is coming out of contract so they lose that leverage. Maybe West Coast needs to throw in a bit of a sweetener to Geelong to get something like that over the line due to the weakness of the draft.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United

Here we are talking about a Neale calibre player who is only 24 years old for what is currently pick 16 and 17.

Correct me if I'm wrong Briztoon/anyone, but as far as I've been reading on here this draft is considered weaker and significantly more shallow than last years draft as well.

Maybe the way there is through GWS. They are tied to Green who is projected to place around pick 5. West Coast could attempt to trade this year's (current) pick 17 and 35, and next year's first rounder, for GWS's (current) 10 and 14 (plus whatever later pick swaps would be required to get it over the line). That would give GWS adequate currency to match even if Green is bid at pick 3, and will give West Coast a bit more trade currency for Geelong.

West Coast gain Kelly, pick 16. West Coast lose Cameron, pick 17, pick 35, 2020 first round pick.
GWS gain pick 17, pick 35, West Coast 2020 first round pick. GWS lose pick 10, pick 14.

We pay over, GWS get slight unders which could be balanced with later pick swaps. Seems a bit under for Kelly too but AFAIK he is coming out of contract so they lose that leverage. Maybe West Coast needs to throw in a bit of a sweetener to Geelong to get something like that over the line due to the weakness of the draft.
We also got pick 30 back from Freo as part of the Neale trade. Not sure why we’d pay overs for Cameron at this point when we have some other more pressing needs.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
We also got pick 30 back from Freo as part of the Neale trade. Not sure why we’d pay overs for Cameron at this point when we have some other more pressing needs.
Yeah I said Neale and 30 for 6, 19 and 55.

Agree with the last part, but it depends what we can realistically get with the currency. If the draft prospects around that level are weak, and Cameron feels like the best quality player we can realistically get with that pick, then I say we should go for it.

It's hard to see pick 16 in a weak draft being enough to bring in an elite player in a trade, but if it's part of a bigger trade to bring in an A-grade player then obviously we go with that instead and the Eagles have to work it out themselves.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah I said Neale and 30 for 6, 19 and 55.

Agree with the last part, but it depends what we can realistically get with the currency. If the draft prospects around that level are weak, and Cameron feels like the best quality player we can realistically get with that pick, then I say we should go for it.

It's hard to see pick 16 in a weak draft being enough to bring in an elite player in a trade, but if it's part of a bigger trade to bring in an A-grade player then obviously we go with that instead and the Eagles have to work it out themselves.
Sorry my bad, just back from the eagles v Collingwood game at Optus and I overindulged

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's important to remember that Jarrod grew up in WA, not Queensland. All his mates will be over there, he has no connection here besides Charlie. Sounds about right that he wouldn't want to leave.

I sometimes wonder if we could have got him if we bid with the pick used on Tom Berry. Would West Coast have still matched? Probably, but we'll never know for sure. Berry will be great for us though, I'm confident of that.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Just for clarities sake, I just watch the actual draft watchers, so I mainly repeat what others have said.

The talk all year is that this is a two player draft at the top and then there’s another 15 or so quality players.

My own belief is that I don’t see Rowell and Anderson as that far ahead of a few other potential draftees.

Also, after the Championships, it looks to go a bit deeper. It’s just that there are very few KPP’s and the standard of inside mids falls away much earlier this year.

Also, quite a few of the more skilled players are sub 180cm. Between 170cm and 176cm.

And as every media draft writer and podcast host has noted, the skill level was down significantly this year.

I do believe there will be some good medium and small forwards and defenders available in the late first round through the second round. It’s just most might take a season or two in the reserves before making a first team debut because they’re either very skinny or rather short.

There are two injured mids who have missed the season, who were viewed as potential first to early second round possibilities.

It’s not so much that the talent isn’t there, it’s more that it’s not what clubs ideally look for, or it’s positions that typically are not drafted high, or it’s somewhat unknown due to injury.

Last edited:
Back