2019 Trade thread

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nowadays it’d Probably be Answerth. In the past I feel like Robertson would have been the guy ?
May seemed to do as good a job on Charlie as anyone so I'd wonder if it would be Dizzy. I guess if Charlie burnt him off you'd go for a Bailey once he cleaned up his defensive pressure in a year or so. Or Answerth ,a combination of the two .

So in other words anybody and hope . Very much trial and error for most clubs for a Charlie match up these days.

At Adelaide he was always second fiddle to Eddie so in hindsight he was probably always going to be this good.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Before Answerth it probably would’ve been Dizzy who has played on Betts quite a bit. It’s a team defence though. If Charlie is on and the getting good supply from the midfield nobody could beat him.

Will be interesting to see if the Eagles consider playing Jarrod on Charlie. Cameron V Cameron

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seen alot of comments about brodie smith on here it's a massive no imo the gap between his best and worst form is huge compared to williams and laird who are more consistent footballers and realistically are no chance to be at brizzy next year.

My two cents from watching both of them, Williams first-hand and Laird due to SC considerations:
  • Zac Williams wins on his contested ball work, elusiveness and speed and can be a game changer in the midfield.
  • Laird wins on his spread and consistency.
  • Williams is more likely to break the game open going up the middle but is also more likely to turn it over doing so, while Laird is more likely to fit our game style.
  • Both are very good kicks of the ball.
  • I'm not sure about Laird's defensive abilities. Williams is solid without being elite.
If we're picking someone to be a HBF, I'd pick Laird as the prototype of the modern game.
If we're picking someone as a HBF with potential (probably already realised if he wasn't at GWS) to become a full time mid, I'd pick Williams.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And to be clear, I really like Zac Williams too - I would be over the moon if we were able to get him. I just think I'd definitely prefer Laird, and maybe Smith. That could partially be due to the fact I think we're a much better chance at getting one of them through the Noble connection and the fact Adelaide have been struggling though. Can't really see any reason why Zac Williams would join us.
We had no connection with Lachie Neale either. Williams might see GWS's window closing and want to go to a club with a better chance of winning an upcoming premiership.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which trade option would you guys choose (don't say option 3, I know there's always one smart-ass:p)?

Option 1

GWS: Pick 13
BL: Zac Williams

Option 2

BL: Zak Jones (RFA), Take pick 13 to the draft

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Which trade option would you guys choose?

Option 1

Option 2

I'd take option 1, sure thing star beats Zac Jones + a speculative draft pick every day of the week IMO

Zac Williams only turns 25 next month so still has 5-6 years minimum left in the system.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which trade option would you guys choose (don't say option 3, I know there's always one smart-ass:p)?

Option 1

Option 2

Option 1. I'll take the better player now since our premiership window has well and truly opened (touch wood we don't do a Melbourne). Picks are speculative and this draft doesn't seem to have the quality of last year's later first round. If I could be assured of getting a player of Xavier Duursma's quality it'd be a tougher decision. But I'd probably still take the better player now.

If we can trade our first two picks to get Williams and Jack Martin, I think that seriously improves our squad for next season, and our squad was a premiership contender to begin with.

I really don't like Jones. He's got good attributes but his skill deficiencies don't seem to fit in with any of our recent acquisitions.

Very interested to see which path we take in the Trade and Free Agency periods. So we keep going with youth or do we start to bring in ready made talent that fits a specific need. I’d be surprised if we use our first round picks in the draft over the next few years.

I really don't like Jones. He's got good attributes but his skill deficiencies don't seem to fit in with any of our recent acquisitions.

Agreed. Firmly in the do not want category for me. His inability to kick holds him back big time.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Adelaide and St Kilda are reported to both be shopping their early first round picks for multiple later first round picks.

Right now GWS is the only team with two first round picks. Have to believe GWS want to move up ahead of Sydney, to get a pick in before having to match a bid on their academy kid.

St Kilda’s pick 6 definitely puts you in position to draft one of Hayden Young, Lachlan Ash or Dylan Stephens. Or Brodie Kemp.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Adelaide and St Kilda are reported to both be shopping their early first round picks for multiple later first round picks.

Right now GWS is the only team with two first round picks. Have to believe GWS want to move up ahead of Sydney, to get a pick in before having to match a bid on their academy kid.

St Kilda’s pick 6 definitely puts you in position to draft one of Hayden Young, Lachlan Ash or Dylan Stephens. Or Brodie Kemp.
If the Magpies finish 5th-8th and go out in the 1st week that would leave us with picks 11 or 12 + the Suns 19 notwithstanding bids/PPs. I wonder if those 2 selections would be enough to satisfy the Saints.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Very interested to see which path we take in the Trade and Free Agency periods. So we keep going with youth or do we start to bring in ready made talent that fits a specific need. I’d be surprised if we use our first round picks in the draft over the next few years.

Club probably weighs up each trade and draft period on its merits.

If we don’t have a highly regarded player wanting to move to us, then you take the pick to the draft.

Also what standard of kid/s we have coming through the academy might influence our thinking.

As well as assessing the strength of the following years draft.

Just because we might be drafting later in the first round, doesn’t mean there aren’t quality kids there. 2016 and 2018 showed you can get very good kids out at picks 16 or 17.

We still need to add quality draftees to rejuvenate our list, or we face doing a Hawthorne and bottoming out because we keep trading multiple early picks for 1 player.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If the Magpies finish 5th-8th and go out in the 1st week that would leave us with picks 11 or 12 + the Suns 19 notwithstanding bids/PPs. I wonder if those 2 selections would be enough to satisfy the Saints.

I expect picks after pick 15 will be pushed back 2 spots with GWS and Fremantle both having a kid likely to receive an early bid.

Not that that will worry clubs to much.

I just don’t see the benefit for St Kilda moving back. But I have no idea what’s going on with their club in terms of their list and potential offseason trades, etc.

Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Nuggets, Crows
We need an experienced KPF to take defenders attention away from Hipwood and Mcstay..... also too teach them like Hodge has done with the backline. Whos available I don't really know. Think of the future now we have a good midfield and backline with some good experienced players in the NEAFL atm.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
We need an experienced KPF to take defenders attention away from Hipwood and Mcstay..... also too teach them like Hodge has done with the backline. Whos available I don't really know. Think of the future now the now he have a good midfield and backline with some good experienced players in the NEAFL atm.

Thats my opinion anyway.
We literally have the best offence in the league. Not sure spending money on a KPF - one of the more lucrative positions in the game - is smart business.

Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Nuggets, Crows
We literally have the best offence in the league. Not sure spending money on a KPF - one of the more lucrative positions in the game - is smart business.

Good point but our Midfield does score quite alot however I only see whats on FTA in central Qld plus the AFL App. Seen quite a bit of Adelaide and Port this year unfortunately.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need an experienced KPF to take defenders attention away from Hipwood and Mcstay....
We already have three talls in the forward line, including Oscar who is primarily a forward. Another KPF would make us too tall. Someone like Jamie Elliott can teach them how to lead while still fitting around them. But a good forward coach can teach that too, and I have faith in our coaching staff. I don't think we need a Hodge type.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With our strong Geelong connections I am hoping somewhat disgruntled (as mentioned in a pod cast)Charlie Constable might like life up North. Think he had 41 touches last week in VFL.

Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Nuggets, Crows
We already have three talls in the forward line, including Oscar who is primarily a forward. Another KPF would make us too tall. Someone like Jamie Elliott can teach them how to lead while still fitting around them. But a good forward coach can teach that too, and I have faith in our coaching staff. I don't think we need a Hodge type.

We have more players who can rotate to small forward and do damage then Tall foward players can do however. I do understand your point though 4 Talls is too many and then who misses out.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
With our strong Geelong connections I am hoping somewhat disgruntled (as mentioned in a pod cast)Charlie Constable might like life up North. Think he had 41 touches last week in VFL.
Think he probably ends up at St Kilda, as the pod in question mentioned.

Personally I’d back in Ely Smith to be better than Constable in the long term.

Back