2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is how many top players are going to sit it out? We've seen how good the turnout can be for IR - pretty bloody abysmal most years.

I agree that all other things being equal, post season is the best time to hold it. But all other things aren't equal, and I reckon 50% of the players selected won't play. Pre-season I think you'd get 80%+ putting their hand up.

I agree with you pre season is the go and I think it should be shared around with matches in Adelaide and Perth which I reckon would sell out with the proceeds after costs going to a local charity..

10,384 at HBF Arena in Joondalup for the Fremantle vs West Coast Marsh Series game.

And 5,127 last week in Mandurah for Fremantle vs Carlton.

With the AFLW games going on at Leederville, Lathlain and Fremantle Ovals, it’s great these WAFL grounds getting some big attendances.

All TBCs on the womens.afl match reports are now confirmed. Saturday night's game at Ikon Park became the first time an AFLW H&A season crossed the 200,000 spectators mark.

It’s time to think about the real victims here: my spreadsheets.

Going to have to spend my self isolation time rejigging all the formulas. :'(

Also, if I said that the virus was started by Essendon people trying to stop Scott Pendlebury from overtaking Dustin Fletcher as the ‘most watched‘ player ever it sadly wouldn’t be anywhere near as stupid as some of the theories people have been bandying around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

542,000 In Melbourne for last nights game, I believe that’s the highest FTA audience for an home/away game since Geelong/Essendon 2013 (622,000)

542,000 In Melbourne for last nights game, I believe that’s the highest FTA audience for an home/away game since Geelong/Essendon 2013 (622,000)

Highest rating season opener in the Foxtel era. Highest rating Melbourne audience for the season opener on FTA game 2009. Highest rating season opening game on Foxtel since they began live broadcasting it.

SEVEN’S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
Seven Network798,00031,000542,00039,000110,00076,000
Huge numbers in Melbourne, pretty decent (comparatively) everywhere else.

Also a shorter match, so I guess a shorter program length. That makes a difference.

Good point about shorter length, although in this case, you'd think the difference is marginal.
For a long time we've tried to educate our NRL bretheren that a 3 hour broadcast is much more valuable than a two hour broadcast, and that it's much harder to maintain the same rating over a 3 hour period than it is for a 2 hour period.

Good point about shorter length, although in this case, you'd think the difference is marginal.
For a long time we've tried to educate our NRL bretheren that a 3 hour broadcast is much more valuable than a two hour broadcast, and that it's much harder to maintain the same rating over a 3 hour period than it is for a 2 hour period.

I don't think it's as marginal as you think. Someone that watches for an hour counts as 0.33 viewers on a 3 hour telecast and 0.43 viewers on a 2:20 telecast (which Fox was last night). That might not seem like much, but it's a 30% increase. Huge in context.

Some have trouble factoring that in to the value of the media rights, i.e what the user is prepared to pay.

I don't think it's as marginal as you think. Someone that watches for an hour counts as 0.33 viewers on a 3 hour telecast and 0.43 viewers on a 2:20 telecast (which Fox was last night). That might not seem like much, but it's a 30% increase. Huge in context.

That's right. A decent number of fans of all codes will sit down and watch the whole game.

A decent number of watchers of all codes will watch some portion of a game - i.e. half and hour or an hour.

The higher proportion that second group is the greater the disadvantage (and misleadingness) in average viewer figure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back