Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Won't be watching

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Going shopping

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to watch this game, but then I realised I need to clean the bird's cage & shampoo the number plates on my car.
Didn't get to clean the bird's cage (gee it shits a lot) or shampoo the number plates, but I still didn't watch the Grand Final thingy. I have heard on the grapevine that Sheppard were best on ground. Did they sing Coming Home or the more recent Symphony?

Last edited:
As much as Richmond gives me the shits, credit where it is due. Peggy, Brendan Gale and Hardwick turned that joint around. They’ve achieved every one of those goals that we all thought were laughable at the time. Smashed their membership targets and are debt free.

SHAME THEY CAN’T AFFORD THEIR VFLW SIDE ISN’T IT

I actually enjoyed the game. Good contest, and it helps that I don’t have much time for either club, so wasn’t invested in the outcome. A tale of two halves, and it’s always interesting to see a game of footy where one team wrestles back momentum against some odds.

From a broader competition perspective, I liked the night grand final. The atmosphere was good, and the AFL should take note and let the general public back into the grand final at the expense of some of their suits. I think I’d heard it had been about 25 years since the general public had scored seats. Disgraceful.

The other thing is I remember Demetriou talking once about how the intention of the draft and salary cap was that every side would win a flag in a 16-year period (along those lines anyway). We now have a triple premiership with Hawthorn and three in four years with Richmond... two of the most dominant sides of any era. It’s not working. And yes, it’s been exacerbated by free agency. But most of Richmond’s free agents came before they were any good (Lynch the obvious exception). In the draft era, we’ve had two triple premierships, one club that’s won three out of four, and one club that’s won three out of five. It’s not what the AFL intended.

As much as Richmond gives me the shits, credit where it is due. Peggy, Brendan Gale and Hardwick turned that joint around. They’ve achieved every one of those goals that we all thought were laughable at the time. Smashed their membership targets and are debt free.

SHAME THEY CAN’T AFFORD THEIR VFLW SIDE ISN’T IT

Some people will still say that they aren’t a very good side. I will take Carlton being a not very good side if we can win 3 flags in 4 years.

About the AFLW. Still filthy that it was never given the chance to come back. There were only 3 games remaining in the season, with 3 Victorian and 1 Western Australian team remaining, they could have made that work. The AFL returned and the first four rounds still had matches going on in Victoria. The Preliminary finals and GF could have been played as curtain raisers during the AFL’s Round 2.

It doesnt count. The season was not sport. Not a fair or even test of actual Australian rules football. It was merely a form of entertainment to get through the crisis and an economic exercise to lesson the looming financial impact of no television money.
There should be public pressure to have the year taken from the records.

Tonight proving yet again system & playing your role is hugely more important these days compared to individual talent or brilliance.

The other notable things were if you have poor decision making or skills you will be exposed in big games/finals.
Fair enough but does playing your role = tackle and pressure like buggery? Yes they have their stars of course, it just seems that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Send your resume through to all the other clubs. Im sure they'd love to hear from you.
Mate..took the comp 2 yrs to work out the cwood press..one of youngest sides to win a flag..everyone said they could dominate for yrs..this is 4 yrs of the simplest game plan u can play..anyone who says it isnt go watch another sport cause u have no idea.
My whole point is everyone knew to win flag u had to beat pies so sides worked on dismantling their game plan. Everyone know to win this flag u were going to have to go through rich. Yet coach after coach just continues to play a style thats suits rich and doesnt exploit their obvious weakness. Coaches r too fixated on playing their syle..no room fir any change or innovation during games. As soon as one..Fagan..had the balls to do it...not rocket science. How were geelong ever going to beat rich. They have tried fir 2 yrs with the same game plan. Same with Bris could never beat them so they did something diff. Heres a clue mate go back and watch the bris finsl our rd1 and their game v ess. Its bloody obvious where the chinks in their game plan is. Rich play their style brilliantly..its never going to change unless coaches take it on.
Malthouse in his presser after the 2010 win was asked about them dominating in yrs to come. He said as soon as their gameplan is worked out they will come back to the pack. Ditto Rich

Mate..took the comp 2 yrs to work out the cwood press..one of youngest sides to win a flag..everyone said they could dominate for yrs..this is 4 yrs of the simplest game plan u can play..anyone who says it isnt go watch another sport cause u have no idea.
My whole point is everyone knew to win flag u had to beat pies so sides worked on dismantling their game plan. Everyone know to win this flag u were going to have to go through rich. Yet coach after coach just continues to play a style thats suits rich and doesnt exploit their obvious weakness. Coaches r too fixated on playing their syle..no room fir any change or innovation during games. As soon as one..Fagan..had the balls to do it...not rocket science. How were geelong ever going to beat rich. They have tried fir 2 yrs with the same game plan. Same with Bris could never beat them so they did something diff. Heres a clue mate go back and watch the bris finsl our rd1 and their game v ess. Its bloody obvious where the chinks in their game plan is. Rich play their style brilliantly..its never going to change unless coaches take it on.
Malthouse in his presser after the 2010 win was asked about them dominating in yrs to come. He said as soon as their gameplan is worked out they will come back to the pack. Ditto Rich

Don’t fear the man who knows 1000 techniques. Fear the man that has practised one technique 1000 times. It’s a simple, no frills game plan that their players are drilled to effectively execute.

Don’t fear the man who knows 1000 techniques. Fear the man that has practised one technique 1000 times. It’s a simple, no frills game plan that their players are drilled to effectively execute.
Dont need 1000 styles..so when ur style continually fails to get u where u wanna go ..u kerp going with it?

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

images
In hindsight, shifty (second from left) was never going to win tiger supporters over.

I agree with much of what you say, especially your point about being a simple game plan.
As I see it though, when it's a simple, basic game plan that really cannot be broken down any more, overcoming it can only happen if ots executed better, with better players who are invested to a greater level.
Maybe it's as simple as no list executes it better, or is more invested as the Tiges.

So its quite possible its a development, recruitment and mindfulness advantage as opposed to a coaching issue.

Marlion Pickett has won more flags in 20 games than St Kilda has in over 125 (ish) years in the VFL-AFL :)

I agree with much of what you say, especially your point about being a simple game plan.
As I see it though, when it's a simple, basic game plan that really cannot be broken down any more, overcoming it can only happen if ots executed better, with better players who are invested to a greater level.
Maybe it's as simple as no list executes it better, or is more invested as the Tiges.

So its quite possible its a development, recruitment and mindfulness advantage as opposed to a coaching issue.
It’s probably a combination of all those things recruitment, development of a game plan, disciplined role players and coaching that instills belief in players and executing the plan.

Also credit to Hardwick for managing and harnessing a player like Martin, who was a bit of a loose cannon in his early 20s and developed to an absolute gun.....

Back