AFL 2020 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with thoughts on last night, complete head scratcher. Could argue North had best 4 on ground (Anderson, Simpkin, Higgins, Polec) but WC winning easily enough really complicates it as they didn’t have stand outs. Reckon umps with only give NM 2 players at most (every chance only 1) so would lean:

Anderson
Ryan
Simpkin/Higgins/Gaff (Simpkin played more consistent game. Higgins almost best on at HT and polls well. Gaff more outside accumulator who I don’t really like but might get the one if umps want to give WC 2 players).

I watched the North vs WC game again and now go :
3 Anderson
2 Ryan
1 Simpkin

No other Eagle can poll for mine. Polec the other chance ahead of Higgins.
I thought at 3/4 time that the 3 guys I’ve given Votes to were fighting it out. Ando kicked the very good goal in play from 50m with 6 mins left which was telling and should seal the 3. Ryan also kicked one in the last and that’s why I’ve switched him to 2 ahead of Simpkin.
I won’t be shocked if the order flipped though and Simpkin was very flashy vs Ando who was a grinder and hard work inside.

Another tough one outside the 3 tonight. Outside of Steele GwS had some good players but got spanked.

3 Steele
Two Whitfield
1 Marshall or Ryder

3 Steele
2 Marshall
1 Whitfield

I reckon they give Steele the 3 here to keep the no Neale market interesting.
Whitfield the best or 2nd best player on the ground but I reckon they will only lob him 1 due to the margin but he can definitely get 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Petracca was a clear BOG. Had a huge impact, was damaging with most of his possessions and started several chains that led to goals. Gawn 2 and Merret 1 for me

I will post my opinion of the remaining round's votes - for what they are worth - and club leaders early next week.

Love to know where this idea that umpires give certain votes "to keep things interesting" stems from though.

To keep things interesting was my comment. We know that they gravitate to the senior players and will also know that Neale the red hot avourite and Petracca in the closing pack. Razor Ray did the game and he certainly will love trying to make it a thrilling count if he can.
Just my opinion, that’s all.

To keep things interesting was my comment. We know that they gravitate to the senior players and will also know that Neale the red hot avourite and Petracca in the closing pack. Razor Ray did the game and he certainly will love trying to make it a thrilling count if he can.
Just my opinion, that’s all.
Tend to agree umps would know the favourites at this point and would more likely gravitate towards them rather than away

I say this every year but would love someone to take it 1 step further and look at certain umpires polling history - votes for ruckman / votes for goal kickers / votes for back men / robbed a ruckman / disposal numbers etc....

I say this every year but would love someone to take it 1 step further and look at certain umpires polling history - votes for ruckman / votes for goal kickers / votes for back men / robbed a ruckman / disposal numbers etc....

Isn’t it too hard with 3 umps as we don’t know which ump had the most influence on the votes ? I’ve heard a retired ump speak at a corporate lunch who said that the younger umps listen to the senior guys who carry the influence. A hard task tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back