Four arrested in 2022 Brownlow betting investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Someone with knowledge of the voting tally allegedly shared leaked info.

It's interesting if nothing else that this may confirm that people know the tally before the count is aired.

Someone with knowledge of the voting tally allegedly shared leaked info.

It's interesting if nothing else that this may confirm that people know the tally before the count is aired.
It’s spot betting, not overall tally, would be round by round betting, umpire rumoured to be involved..
would be hard to catch and work out..
might be the end of round by round betting

I've worked in the entertainment industry for a decade. All results of the ARIAs, for example, were known to a select few (and whoever they told) a day before announced.

Doesn't meant you couldn't still bet on them.

Was there any common umpire in the games where Amon randomly got 3 votes?

Considering in a couple of games he was $70+ and $20+ to poll 3, it wouldn’t surprise if the umpire had his mates load up on those games.

2 umpires were in 2 games but they are WA and SA based from my quick research, as this was my first thought, whereas the men arrested were in Melbourne.

Considering in a couple of games he was $70+ and $20+ to poll 3, it wouldn’t surprise if the umpire had his mates load up on those games.
Wouldn't take much money at all to raise suspicion on these markets at those prices. My guess is that if it was spot betting on these then it was someone around the 1.90 to 2.50 mark that made it a certainty

Wouldn't take much money at all to raise suspicion on these markets at those prices. My guess is that if it was spot betting on these then it was someone around the 1.90 to 2.50 mark that made it a certainty

That's how these guys get caught though, by getting greedy and smashing very large prices that are receiving small volume compared to the $1.9-$2.5 options where there is a heap of volume.

Especially when bookmakers aren't likely to be accept very large stakes on these markets.

I'm sure umpires letting mates know that someone gets 3 votes in a game isnt that uncommon, they just aren't stupid enough to put the proverbial house on a highly unlikely result which is what draws the attention.

I posted this in the 2022 Brownlow Thread

"
Went back to have a look at Karl Amons 3 votes, pre-Sportsbet prices:

Rd 13 v Richmond $7
Rd 14 v Sydney Unquoted (highest player was Mills at $101)
Rd 15 v Gold Coast Unquoted (highest player was Wines at $81)
Rd 19 v Geelong Unquoted (highest player was Tuohy at $15)

Rd 13 Umpires: Donlon, Fisher, Fleer
Rd 14 Umps: Power, Nicholls, Mollison
Rd 15 Umps: Harris, Fleer, Pell
Rd 19 Umps: Power, Rosebury, Broadbent

The common link there seems to by Craig Fleer and Justin Power.

Does anybody know if the umpires like to have a punt?"

Whats an umpire salary? Quick look online says its around the 120-135k mark.

Bookies are allowing multis with Round by Round and all. Payouts would be huge if you did an accumulator with a player that paid odds of in double digits to get a 3 vote with any other games. We all know how much of an impact even if 1 set of votes for a game were released and how it would impact all sorts of things: lines, group handicaps, team handicaps etc etc. Im not sure if there is proper police measure in place to monitor those kinds of things. For me it only takes 'word of mouth' for information to get released to get the info out there in the real world. I also think it would be hard to catch the umpires out on, if they have a social circle/inner circle where they reveal votes to partners/friends.

I posted this in the 2022 Brownlow Thread

"
Went back to have a look at Karl Amons 3 votes, pre-Sportsbet prices:

Rd 13 v Richmond $7
Rd 14 v Sydney Unquoted (highest player was Mills at $101)
Rd 15 v Gold Coast Unquoted (highest player was Wines at $81)
Rd 19 v Geelong Unquoted (highest player was Tuohy at $15)

Rd 13 Umpires: Donlon, Fisher, Fleer
Rd 14 Umps: Power, Nicholls, Mollison
Rd 15 Umps: Harris, Fleer, Pell
Rd 19 Umps: Power, Rosebury, Broadbent

The common link there seems to by Craig Fleer and Justin Power.

Does anybody know if the umpires like to have a punt?"
1 umpire alone does not make the decision though, if Amon did nothing and one ump suggested him surely the other 2 would say wtf he did nothing. I assume there would be a senior umpire who would hold sway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The allegation relates to umpire leaking to friends that he gave Cripps votes in particular games I believe.

Fair few people on here were thinking something was fishy with the way Cripps odds came crashing in in the final 24 hours or so.

If I'm not mistaken he ended up closing around $5 after being like $7 or so beforehand, which is a pretty big swing for such a high volume market, where he was not priced as the favourite to win, but the 3rd most likely.

[Edit: Maybe not the case. Maybe just to do with 3 vote markets for particular games, although it would seem slightly strange to create such a massive furore over something where you can only bet to win $500.]

Last edited:
The allegation relates to umpire leaking to friends that he gave Cripps votes in particular games I believe.

Fair few people on here were thinking something was fishy with the way Cripps odds came crashing in in the final 24 hours or so.

If I'm not mistaken he ended up closing around $5 after being like $7 or so beforehand, which is a pretty big swing for such a high volume market, where he was not priced as the favourite to win, but the 3rd most likely.
AFL are in on it as he should have been suspended. They had money on him...

Gilstapo will get years for this!

I really hope there wasn't anything weird going on with the Amon votes. I had a 13 leg multi and the only leg that didn't get up was Rozee with Port Power's most votes.

Amon beat him by 1 vote.

They don't need to rig the actual votes. If you know who has polled the 3 then you can make $ regardless of who it actually is

If 9 touch Marley Williams gets steamed for the 3 it's going to be ridiculously suspicious compared to just banking the semi obvious ones

I really hope there wasn't anything weird going on with the Amon votes. I had a 13 leg multi and the only leg that didn't get up was Rozee with Port Power's most votes.

Amon beat him by 1 vote.
I don't think there's anything odd with the actual count, rather just an umpire sharing the results.

Someone mentioned the idea of banning 'round by round games', just allowing a main OutRight Winner market,and less on excotic bets, which from my point of view is not a bad idea as it sounds.

Whether we would ever go down that track I don't know but the insider trading knowledge works best for these 'lesser ' markets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back