List Mgmt. 2020: Death Riding Melbourne [NMFC owns MFC's 1st (#9) & 4th (#64) 2020 picks] - Keep Your Eye on the Red and the Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that Giantroo......further to that,.....does that mean they go down a pick or two....apologies I've taken no notice of the points system....
Yes.

Each pick has a points value. Pick 1 (3000), etc . For Pick 1 you must have the full allocation of points (3000) to keep the pick even though you may have enough to cover pick 2 (2,517).

From there, you just minus the point deficit (265) and you get the table I've posted.

1599480515067.png 1599480663454.png

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne
Melbourne set to lose big in trade deal with North Melbourne
After missing out on Ben King when it traded for Steven May, Melbourne faces the prospect of another trade blunder. The Demons must start winning to limit the damage of their pick swap with North Melbourne.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

Melbourne is staring down the barrel of a disastrous trade deal with North Melbourne as it stagnates in second-last on the ladder.

The Demons backed themselves in to fly up the ladder when they secured the Roos’ No.8 selection of 2019 for last year’s No.26 and 50 picks plus this year’s first-rounder.

North Melbourne would have won the trade on pure points value even if the Demons finished first this year given Melbourne’s determination to secure the impressive Kosi Pickett.

But with the Demons languishing in second-last spot, the trade will be woefully imbalanced unless they can rise up the ladder in the next 12 weeks.

Every selection in the national draft is allocated a points total so clubs can weigh its value in complicated trades.

The Demons have an extra game in hand but even on a comparison that puts them third-last given an extra win the imbalance is jarring.

North Melbourne currently has 3226 draft points in the deal compared to the Demons’ 1551, with the Demons effectively handed an extra No.8 selection in points value.

Melbourne secured Kysaiah Pickett in last year’s draft. Picture: Getty Images

Melbourne secured Kysaiah Pickett in last year’s draft. Picture: Getty Images

The Roos have their own first-rounder this year plus the Demons selection at pick two, having been prepared to bide their time last year.

The Roos picked up Charlie Comben with pick 31, Jack Mahony with pick 34 and Flynn Perez at pick 35, with Mahony having already made an impressive debut.

Melbourne was able to trade back into the second round of the draft last year and secure the exciting half back Trent Rivers so can still save its position with late-season wins.

Carlton eventually saved itself from what seemed a disastrous deal to hand its 2019 first-round draft pick to Adelaide to secure Liam Stocker in the 2018 national draft.

Last year it seemed they would hand over a top-three selection to Adelaide but they won six of their last 11 games and Adelaide finished 11th.

It meant Carlton secured the No.9 pick and split it to turn it into No.17 draft pick Brodie Kemp and No.20 pick Sam Philp, who has made his debut.

Jack Mahony playing his second AFL game against the Bulldogs last weekend. Picture: Getty Images
Jack Mahony playing his second AFL game against the Bulldogs last weekend. Picture: Getty Images

The Blues believe Stocker will eventually be a hard running inside mid but he hasn’t featured in selection this year.

If Melbourne had kept its first-rounder this year and played finals it could have been pushed well back by father-son and academy bidding.

Trading up was a sound strategy given Pickett’s encouraging tackling pressure – if not offensive output yet – but relied upon the Demons playing well in 2020.

“Part of our strategy during this trade period was to improve our draft position by using our future picks,” football boss Josh Mahoney said after the trade.

“Next year’s draft will have a high number of talented Academy players, and we value another top selection in this draft.

“Clubs can trade picks right up until the draft and on draft night under AFL rules and having picks 3 and 8 gives us options and flexibility.”
You'd be concerned if it was any other club than Melbourne copping it. They could respond, but their just as likely to slink even further.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

By all measurements of our recent gifts from the footy gods, the GoDees will either get a wriggle on and finish top 4-6, or the whole season will be cancelled, forcing some rubbish lottery system and we will end up with pick 12.
I‘m not convinced this will in any way work out for us......not much ever does these days.
Think we were spoilt having The Duck, Corser and Longers, along with plenty of others, roll through the 90’s side.

Last edited:

I did realize that just trying to say i think we did alright by not losing that last game and ending up with Luke.

Absolutely, if we had pick one we might still have picked LDU. Our team needs high quality full time mids which Rayner is not, they did us a favour taking him off the board.

Also would have been happy with Andrew Brayshaw for the family connection or Paddy Dow due to being a mad Roos supporter growing up.

Absolutely, if we had pick one we might still have picked LDU. Our team needs high quality full time mids which Rayner is not, they did us a favour taking him off the board.

Also would have been happy with Andrew Brayshaw for the family connection or Paddy Dow due to being a mad Roos supporter growing up.

The skills in our midfield are awful.

His would make them worse.

Don't know what the club would have done but Rayner's highlights package looked a mile ahead of the others at the time.

Hope the media criticism doesn’t spark them back into form

Was thinking about this.

They just moved out of the bubble of the Melbourne footy media.

It'd need to come from within, so I don't expect a media driven up tick.

Don't know what the club would have done but Rayner's highlights package looked a mile ahead of the others at the time.

There was another 118 minutes of footage where Rayner would continually go missing that you didn’t see.
We could have potentially used pick 1 on Dow as well, who at this stage has barely hit a target and is in the magoo’s.
It was a blessing that we ended up with pick 4 in that draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Do they get any additional benefit if they finish higher on the ladder, or is it all the same for them? Are we exchanging picks this year or do they just owe us for last year? If that's the case then this wont change anything for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking about this.

They just moved out of the bubble of the Melbourne footy media.

It'd need to come from within, so I don't expect a media driven up tick.
How North would it be that once Ralphy writes an article on it that the Demons begin to rise up the ladder.

Don't agree with that. LDU's was impressive and I can vividly remember one highlight where he blind-turned Stephenson and kicked a goal from the pocket. I'm pretty sure that this was part of an 8 goal or so comeback that he got best on ground for. I also remember this whole board going crazy because we were able to get him at 4 and that was considered a massive slide.

Even if we had 1 or 2 I reckon we would have gone with LDU.

******* awful. Doesn't take anything away from how crap Melbourne have been.

Yeah but you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house.

North have played 5 games, for a 2-3 WL record.

1 win vs GWS was a great 4 qtr effort.

But apart from that we were outplayed by the Saints for 2 qts.

Put in 2 crap performances vs SYD and Hawks.

And lets not even mention the sh1t we served up against the dogs.

In summary, if you consider the Dees have been crap, then north havent been much better.

In summary, if you consider the Dees have been crap, then north havent been much better.
This thread is dedicated to deathriding Melbourne.

There are plenty of other threads to discuss how s**t North have played the last 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I own a hard hat so I can throw as many stones as I like...

Who is comparing?

We want a good pick and in order to get that pick we need Melbourne to be s**t, which they are.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Pelican has spoken

ROOS BIG WINNERS IN PICK SWAP BATTLE

VETERAN list builder Chris Pelchen says Melbourne’s potential trade bungle with its first-round pick highlights the risk in future trading.

And Pelchen says clubs with father-son and academy selections at this year’s draft will have a huge advantage given their knowledge of players who haven’t stepped out all year.

Melbourne is staring down the barrel of a dud deal given it is second-last on the ladder.

The Demons backed themselves in to fly up the ladder when they secured the Roos’ No. 8 selection of 2019 for last year’s No. 26 and 50 picks plus this year’s first-rounder.

North Melbourne would have won the trade on pure points value even if the Demons finished first this year given Melbourne’s determination to secure the impressive Kosi Pickett.

But with the Demons languishing in second-last spot, the trade will be woefully imbalanced unless they can rise up the ladder in the next 12 weeks.

The Demons have an extra game in hand but even on a comparison that puts them third-last.

North Melbourne currently has 3226 draft points in the deal compared to the Demons’ 1551, with the Demons effectively handing over an extra No. 8 selection in points value.

The Roos have their own first-rounder this year plus the Demons’ selection at pick two, having been prepared to bide their time last year.

The Roos picked up Charlie Comben with pick 31, Jack Mahony with pick 34 and Flynn Perez at pick 35, with Mahony having already made an impressive debut.

Said Pelchen of the trade: “Future trading is always risky because you are speculating. When you are trading players it’s about exposed form but when you are talking about future trading (it) is not exposed form. Maybe in terms of the players you bring in but the draft by its very nature is a higher-risk venture than trading player for players.

“In terms of the North Melbourne deal, North Melbourne are ahead in that trade. Time will tell what that pick becomes. At the time I could see why both clubs did that deal but future trading is risky and ultimately people judge future trading in retrospect while the deals are made prospectively. It’s very much a risk in itself.”

There will be as many as 15 of the first 30 picks made from father-son and academy picks, and those clubs with links to them have watched the players for years and had them training at their clubs.

Pelchen says it will give the clubs a huge helping hand in assessing talent – not to mention the discount they get selecting them – given so many players only flourish in their final junior season.

There’s a flip side to the father son/academy players.. as there’s been no football, a few of those teams might overpay for them, you could easily see a situation where, team A is going to match any bid for that kid, as they’re a known quantity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back