2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was always of the belief if Wright or Brodie goes it's mostly club driven tbh.
Both have built or bought houses here in the last year.
Both signed contracts when people thought they may have been leaving anyway.

I don't think either of them WANT to leave, and nor do I want us to trade them.

I actually think it's a bad look for us as a club if we try and push them out the door. Having had so many talented players leave, to completely disregard two really talented guys that are committed to the club and want to stay, just leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.

I actually think it's a bad look for us as a club if we try and push them out the door. Having had so many talented players leave, to completely disregard two really talented guys that are committed to the club and want to stay, just leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.
Plus, 2020 saw a very good injury list with most of the team fit for the majority of the year. This hasn’t happened before and who is to say we won’t get a whole heap of injuries again in 2021? It’s vital to have quality depth players in case we need to rely on them due to injury in our best 22.

and part of the reason the club are looking for different roles for them.

neither did Brad Crouch and we know he is going. Trade requests often come closer to trade week rather than their initial exit interviews. They might want to see if there is interest first before requesting one.
Just sharing the info. No speculation from me.

Below is another quote from the article.

A bit hard to believe the thurls64 info that Luko and 5 other players asked to be traded.

“As a footy club we have demonstrated our commitment and belief in both of those boys in the extension of their contracts,” Haines said.

“There has been a real shift in the culture of the playing group from where retention was a challenge three years ago to the point now where the playing group actually are now.

“They are so strong in their belief of the plan and connection with each other that it’s really hard for them to leave and consider other options.

Last edited:
Don't want to feed this rumour mill but wasn't it said here there is 5 or so guys exploring trade options, if wright and brodie arent included in that...

Just sharing the info. No speculation from me.

Below is another quote from the article.

A bit hard to believe the thurls64 info that Luko and 5 other players asked to be traded.

@thurls64 vs Tom Boswell

Sorry Thurls I love your work but I'm rooting for Tommys intel here!

@thurls64 vs Tom Boswell

Sorry Thurls I love your work but I'm rooting for Tommys intel here!

Not going against what you are saying TJB, but has Tommy really said anything trade related that the SUNS have not told us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right my bad.
Here is the actual quote from the article to clarify :)
“That said, both of those boys are AFL quality and they will have other clubs showing interest in them.
“From our point of view they are contracted so we will see what the trade period exposes.”
Haines said neither player had requested a trade at their exit meeting.

When asked if the club was open to trading either if they did so going forward or if the right offer came from a rival club, Haines said:
“If they are contracted, that is the strongest suggestion that we want them to stay,” he said.
“We understand the trade period, particularly over the last one or two years, has been a dynamic period so we acknowledge that.”

It would also be handy to know how many games there’ll be next season. If we move to a 28 game season or something like that, mature AFL standard depth becomes more important.

It would also be handy to know how many games there’ll be next season. If we move to a 28 game season or something like that, mature AFL standard depth becomes more important.
Its something they are working through now. Its at the minimum 22, but they haven't ruled out a longer season

I like the idea of a longer 34 game season, where you play each team twice, one away, one home.
From a fans perspective, more games the better. Even if its just for a year or two, its a good way to get back the money they lost this year. I love attending games, and it makes your membership more worthwhile.

I like the idea of a longer 34 game season, where you play each team twice, one away, one home.
There wouldn't be the time to play that many games. We're already finishing this season a month late and then it won't be long before preseason starts. Even if they get rid of pre-season games, footy won't be able to go into October again with Cricket next year.

There wouldn't be the time to play that many games. We're already finishing this season a month late and then it won't be long before preseason starts. Even if they get rid of pre-season games, footy won't be able to go into October again with Cricket next year.
Is there always cricket in October? If so, is it late Oct?

Was just calculating.. shorter pre-season. Start games end of Feb - Sept, finals, would lead it to mid Oct.

Is there always cricket in October? If so, is it late Oct?

Was just calculating.. shorter pre-season. Start games end of Feb - Sept, finals, would lead it to mid Oct.
Yep. And with all the series (except India) postponed, they'll look for an earlier start. I think we'll end up with the same 23 game season.

Random thought... Is there a chance we won’t use any draft picks this year if we pre-draft our top 3 academy players. Ie. Davies, Jeffrey & Lake.

Trade away pick 5 for an A grade player or possibly for a future 1st & 2nd rd pick to a bottom 8 team? Crows/North might be interested.

Our remaining picks used to trade in players or trade out for future picks.

Trade Brodie/Wright for future picks.

Set ourselves up for a big draft haul next year when U18 comps are in full swing again and lists numbers might be increased again?

Random thought... Is there a chance we won’t use any draft picks this year if we pre-draft our top 3 academy players. Ie. Davies, Jeffrey & Lake.

Trade away pick 5 for an A grade player or possibly for a future 1st & 2nd rd pick to a bottom 8 team? Crows/North might be interested.

Our remaining picks used to trade in players or trade out for future picks.

Trade Brodie/Wright for future picks.

Set ourselves up for a big draft haul next year when U18 comps are in full swing again and lists numbers might be increased again?
That would be my preference unless we could move up the draft order for Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Back