2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly working out a payout and delisting him at last list cuts before draft? Be interesting to see
Perhaps. But I wouldn't count on that happening. Rarely are players released from their contract unless there's an issue between the player and club. Given the club still has to pay him out, it's probably just worth keeping him tbh. At the very least he'll help keep training standards high, help the younger guys develop in the reserves and put a little pressure on spots. By all means, get him off the list if you can, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he's there next year.

He'd be on a fair pay cheque with no 100% guarantee of playing next year (or ever again). Hard decision on Rory coming up either this year or the one after.
Contracted to 2023, so the ball is in his court. I hope he comes good soon, but if not, hopefully he does the responsible thing and retire.

So that puts list to 42( i think) would be at least another 4 maybe 5 to leave/traded/delisted
Yeah we had 51 at the start of the year (i think). Lost 9 today plus hanley. So down to 41.
Still waiting on list sizes but if 42 is the rumoured figure and unsure of what concessions the suns would have. Need minimum of 3 spots to goto draft and possibly more with trades. I expect a few more to be cut within the month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for fun and laugh for North Snake , Jez McLennan , Burgess and Corbett package up with pick 5 for Ben Brown .

Clubs have some idea. Either 38 + 2 rookie, 40 + 2 rookies, or 42 and no rookies. So they can make an educated guess until they know for sure.

Also whether we will still have some additional list spaces on top of the new reduced lists...

By my calculations: 2020 list: 51 players.

Now currently sitting on: 41 players.

Hanley, C.Ellis, Schoenfeld, Riordan, Fletcher, Joyce, Dawson, Heron, Horlin-Smith, Miles all goneski.

Hopefully at a minimum 6 new players in:

Atkins, Broad. And hopefully 1 x A-grade mid + 3 x draft picks.

Means we could still need to lose another 4-6 players via trade, retire or delist depending on new rookie lists and/or whether we will still have some additional list concessions available giving us a few extra list numbers above everyone else.

2021:
B. Buderick, Collins, Broad
HB. Lukosius, Ballard, Bowes
C. Atkins, Greenwood, B.Ellis
HF. Swallow, Day, Sexton
F. Rankine, King, Ainsworth

R. Witts, A-grade mid, Rowell

Int: Miller, Anderson, Weller, Powell.

Current Depth:

Def: Graham, Hombsch, Burgess, Harbrow, McLennan, Murdoch, Towey, Thompson (inj 2021).

Inside Mid: Fiorini, Brodie, Flanders.

Outside Mid: Sharp. Farrar.

Fwd: 2MP, Corbett, MacPherson, Lemmens, Holman, Murtagh, Rosas.

Ruck: Smith, Conroy.

Concerns: Lacking a big bodied mature key defender. Lack of small defenders. Lack of outside mids. Over supply of small pressure forwards.

Likely traded - Brodie? 2MP?

Tough calls still to be made unless the AFL give us additional list spaces for 2021, and maybe reducing to standard for 2022?

not to sound ruthless but feel satisfied we culled Schoenfeld, Dawson and Heron given the current focus on smaller lists we have to get down to pure players who we want and we have been carrying a lot of "maybes" or "never dids" for too long Joyce may get a run elsewehere if he is lucky
I for one would be a yes to Talia coming to us

Never rated Joyce , just average GC academy players , Southport VFL should be his choice . If he impress surely he will get another chance like Collins from another club .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back