Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As we get closer to the draft if we keep our first pick, it's looking more likely it will be one of Dgb / Phillips.
Mcdonald may slide it will be a interesting decision if the club would take a fwd over a Defender or a Midfielder doubtful.

This whole thing about us trying to get Pick 2 for McDonald is so un-Hawthorn like.

We NEVER let anyone know what we're thinking. It's either untrue or we've leaked this on purpose for reason

Agree. Wright has always played his cards very close to his chest and expect his under-studies will do likewise.

If we are leaking information, it's for another purpose.

Campbell will be the best player to come out of this draft.
I wouldn't be surprised. But that doesn't change the fact that it's not a smart decision for North to bid on him with pick 2 unless they actively want him. If Swans don't match and Campbell doesn't end up being the best player to come out of this draft, or at least better than the player they really wanted then it's a really poor move. You don't take a massive gamble (and I mean the gamble of 'what they want' vs 'what they get', not Campbell himself) with your biggest asset (pick 2) just to maybe slightly improve possibilities with lesser assets down the track.

Sydney are Essendon level sneaky. If they are telling everyone, including the player himself, that they want DGB then it’s highly likely they don’t want him.

Don’t give Essendon so much credit - they’re not even remotely sneaky. Underhanded, sure.

Sydney, on the other hand, are Sydney level sneaky. Never give too much away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be surprised. But that doesn't change the fact that it's not a smart decision for North to bid on him with pick 2 unless they actively want him. If Swans don't match and Campbell doesn't end up being the best player to come out of this draft, or at least better than the player they really wanted then it's a really poor move. You don't take a massive gamble (and I mean the gamble of 'what they want' vs 'what they get', not Campbell himself) with your biggest asset (pick 2) just to maybe slightly improve possibilities with lesser assets down the track.
Draft is always a gamble especially this year. In my opinion there are only 3 sure bets in this draft, Jamara , Campbell and Phillips.

Just to bring things back full circle, perhaps all this talk of us trying to trade up for pick 2, the Cal Twomey phantom draft having us pick McDonald (which would be based largely on discussions Cal had with Hawthorn) is really just scuttlebutt to influence the Swans into taking McDonald so we can get our real (originally rumoured target) of DGB.
You get the feeling that with a name like Denver that Clarko wants to desperately grab his guitar and sing kum ba yah around a fire to the kid 🤣

Yeah I like him too (though I like all the options to be fair). Really seems like he'd fit in Clarko's vision. Defender who can read the play, take intercept marks and then use the ball well to setup or drive attack off half back. Between DGB, Sicily and Scrimshaw they would be cutting off everything.
Sicily and DGB could both swing forward too. Flexibility with his players has always been Clarko's forte!

Draft is always a gamble especially this year. In my opinion there are only 3 sure bets in this draft, Jamara , Campbell and Phillips.
It certainly is, but like I said, I'm not referring to the gamble of whether a specific player makes it or not. I'm referring to the gamble of getting the player you want or not.

But no, apparently he’s not good enough because he doesn’t have the attributes of Nick Riewoldt

I’d argue his highlights look exceptionally like Riewoldt, the way he marks at the top of his leap and they stick. Pretty uncanny.

In fairness to the knockers he might not be AFL fast. DGB beating him suggests maybe the smaller, faster and more athletic players at AFL level will trouble him. Maybe they won't, it could just have been a bad day when they faced off in the WAFL.

Either way I’d be psyched to get DGB, Campbell or Mc Donald. Phillips too now that I think about it. Any one one of the four is a step forward

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back