Skills
Overhead marking
Clean hands
Composure
Versatility

Queries
Consistency
Reading the play

- Poulter is one player I was most excited about seeing play in the national championships, he is a great size and has so many attributes I like. I’m always a sucker for potential big bodied inside mids and Poulter has shown plenty fo ability in the midfield in the SANFL 18s last year and has shown an ability to take marks up forward and create, watch this space on Poulter if he doesn’t get taken this year I could see him being the leading 19 year old in 2021 as he is a bit light on and will take some time.

Last edited:

Thanks to eDPSView attachment 902834

Caleb Poulter
190cm 66kg
Midfielder/Forward
DR: 25-50

Strengths
Upside
Athleticism
Skills
Overhead marking
Clean hands
Composure
Versatility

Queries
Consistency
Reading the play

- Poulter is one player I was most excited about seeing play in the national championships, he is a great size and has so many attributes I like. I’m always a sucker for potential big bodied inside mids and Poulter has shown plenty fo ability in the midfield in the SANFL 18s last year and has shown an ability to take marks up forward and create, watch this space on Poulter if he doesn’t get taken this year I could see him being the leading 19 year old in 2021 as he is a bit light on and will take some time.
190cm and 66kg. 6kg lighter then everybody else on that list.
I'd imagine he would need some serious skills to go that high

Just updated.
191cm, 74kg

He looks like a coat hanger

Jarrod Grant style physique. I want a proper mid. Not a stick man replica. Although last time I compared a draftee was Bont saying he could be too tall for mid and might end up like Andreas Everett. Aged well. Also said the same with Paddy Cripps, yep I can pick em.

Latest game update from Draft Central -

#7 Caleb Poulter

It was a huge game from the talented tall midfielder, who would have certainly gotten recruiters’ attention with a commanding game playing through midfield and up forward. Poulter won plenty of the ball but it was his disposal that really stood out, with his long and accurate kicks hitting targets inside 50 and his long handballs with great vision also catching the eye.

Poulter showed great agility and clean hands at ground level which was impressive for a 190cm-plus player, but even with his attacking side coming to the fold it was also his defensive game which stood out as he was always prepared to tackle despite looking gassed late in the game, but you couldn’t fault that. Poulter finished the game with 34 disposals, seven clearances, seven marks, 10 tackles, and a goal to be the standout player not just for this game, but for the whole round in general.

I worry that we'd end up with another shortass tall forward. I rate Parker but i don't want a collection of that sort of player.
Still much water to flow under the bridge with lad.
He's gone from smokey to first round off the back of one game (a-la Bont).
I want us to get someone with a difference to our existing bunch, the rest is just a punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of kids in Victoria who may not get much exposure this year. Some of them may be overlooked simply due to not being able to show their talents.
I don't mind if we get speculative with our later picks regarding these types.
But i still want "Mids Mids Mids"

I don’t think you just say mids and that’s it. Yes we need more in that space but if there is talent you take them.
Minimum of 2 mids probably required each draft but not sure they need to be the first picked if there is someone special.

I don’t think you just say mids and that’s it. Yes we need more in that space but if there is talent you take them.
Minimum of 2 mids probably required each draft but not sure they need to be the first picked if there is someone special.

After our first round pick , its pretty unlikely that anyone "special" will be there by our next pick.
I'd rather punt on a Langland type working out than another Leo Connolly.

Actually if they reduce the size of the list , i'd be asking the AFL if we can draft less in accordance.
Still more chance of Langlands or Mayo turning into a good player than some kid taken in the third round with limited exposure in 2020.

After our first round pick , its pretty unlikely that anyone "special" will be there by our next pick.
I'd rather punt on a Langland type working out than another Leo Connolly.

Actually if they reduce the size of the list , i'd be asking the AFL if we can draft less in accordance.
Still more chance of Langlands or Mayo turning into a good player than some kid taken in the third round with limited exposure in 2020.
May be prudent at this moment to go back to the trade table for one of our mids then. See if we can get a money ball player that needs opportunity

Another leg up for the filth - Matt Rendell has Josh Daicos being a No 1 pick in 2021 on top of their NGA players which is a rort.

Josh already at the club. Assume this is talking about Nick?

Not really a worry for us, means the Pies are going to have to find a way to load up on points to match some early bids. Either that or go into a deficit which could be big trouble if they have a down year.

As for us - Without know what is happening to list sizes I would be talking to the Cats about their swag of picks. Id be happy to roll the dice on trading them our future first and another pick/player is it meant getting our hands on 11 +14 to go with our pick 13. *Hypothetical picks based on ladder*

Coming out with say Finlay Macare, Archie Perkins and one of Bailey Laurie, Zach Reid or the above mentioned Poulter, would be a great haul.

Finlay Macrae
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro | Balanced Midfielder
13/03/2002 | 184cm | 75kg

You may recognise the name and yes, Finlay is the brother of Western Bulldogs midfielder, Jack. They are quite clearly cut from the same cloth, with the younger Macrae possessing a similar ball winning appetite and class on the ball to his established older sibling. The 184cm Charger also boasts a terrific balance in his traits, able to impact the play moving forward with sound decision making and precise execution via foot, on top of his obvious exploits in extraction. While he is not overly quick, Macrae’s evasiveness comes through agility and awareness, which should be on full show as he prepares to feature prominently for Oakleigh, Xavier College, and Vic Metro in 2020.

Archie Perkins
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro | Forward/Midfielder
26/03/2002 | 186cm | 77kg

Perhaps a slightly speculative choice of ranking at this stage, but Perkins has all the makings of a special talent. Having caught the eye as a forward and outside midfielder in 2019, the Sandringham Dragons standout is poised to spend more time on the inside as a top-ager, with just the right size and some incredible athletic attributes to aid his transition. Perkins boasts a monster vertical leap, covers 20 metres in less than three seconds, and is brilliantly agile, making for an ideal athletic base. His finishing touch is an area he can refine, but the 186cm prospect is no stranger to finding the goals and can be a real game changer when required. Damage or impact is a key trait which is often hard to measure, but Perkins ranks highly in that department.

Bailey Laurie
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro | Forward/Midfielder
24/03/2002 | 178cm | 76kg

Another member of Oakleigh’s talent-rich 2019 premiership side, Laurie also features highly in our estimations. The small forward/midfielder is a livewire, and can take games away from the opposition quickly as a high-impact player. His forward running and wonderful agility make for some highlight-reel snippets, consisting of line-breaking bursts and baulks which make his opponents look silly. The Caulfield Grammar student is a great character and a teammate who others love to play alongside, adding a different element to his on-field prowess. He should make the step-up for Oakleigh once again having impressed late last year, while also cracking the Vic Metro line-up.

Zach Reid
Gippsland Power/Vic Country | Key Position Defender/Utility
2/03/2002 | 202cm | 82kg

A versatile tall who could push for top 10 status, Reid returned a consistent output during his bottom-age season as a key member of Gippsland’s spine. He was tried up either end and through the ruck across 15 NAB League outings, but looked most comfortable down back and should find a home there once again in 2020. At 202cm, Reid is filling out nicely and can utilise that added strength to compete better one-on-one against big key forwards. He is a terrific judge of the ball in flight and positions intelligently, not just relying on his height to compete aerially. Reid is also both a sound handler and user of the ball for his size, providing a cool head in rebounding transitions.

Not really a worry for us, means the Pies are going to have to find a way to load up on points to match some early bids. Either that or go into a deficit which could be big trouble if they have a down year.

As for us - Without know what is happening to list sizes I would be talking to the Cats about their swag of picks. Id be happy to roll the dice on trading them our future first and another pick/player is it meant getting our hands on 11 +14 to go with our pick 13. *Hypothetical picks based on ladder*

Coming out with say Finlay Macare, Archie Perkins and one of Bailey Laurie, Zach Reid or the above mentioned Poulter, would be a great haul.

Finlay Macrae

You may recognise the name and yes, Finlay is the brother of Western Bulldogs midfielder, Jack. They are quite clearly cut from the same cloth, with the younger Macrae possessing a similar ball winning appetite and class on the ball to his established older sibling. The 184cm Charger also boasts a terrific balance in his traits, able to impact the play moving forward with sound decision making and precise execution via foot, on top of his obvious exploits in extraction. While he is not overly quick, Macrae’s evasiveness comes through agility and awareness, which should be on full show as he prepares to feature prominently for Oakleigh, Xavier College, and Vic Metro in 2020.

Archie Perkins

Perhaps a slightly speculative choice of ranking at this stage, but Perkins has all the makings of a special talent. Having caught the eye as a forward and outside midfielder in 2019, the Sandringham Dragons standout is poised to spend more time on the inside as a top-ager, with just the right size and some incredible athletic attributes to aid his transition. Perkins boasts a monster vertical leap, covers 20 metres in less than three seconds, and is brilliantly agile, making for an ideal athletic base. His finishing touch is an area he can refine, but the 186cm prospect is no stranger to finding the goals and can be a real game changer when required. Damage or impact is a key trait which is often hard to measure, but Perkins ranks highly in that department.

Bailey Laurie

Another member of Oakleigh’s talent-rich 2019 premiership side, Laurie also features highly in our estimations. The small forward/midfielder is a livewire, and can take games away from the opposition quickly as a high-impact player. His forward running and wonderful agility make for some highlight-reel snippets, consisting of line-breaking bursts and baulks which make his opponents look silly. The Caulfield Grammar student is a great character and a teammate who others love to play alongside, adding a different element to his on-field prowess. He should make the step-up for Oakleigh once again having impressed late last year, while also cracking the Vic Metro line-up.

Zach Reid
2/03/2002 | 202cm | 82kg

A versatile tall who could push for top 10 status, Reid returned a consistent output during his bottom-age season as a key member of Gippsland’s spine. He was tried up either end and through the ruck across 15 NAB League outings, but looked most comfortable down back and should find a home there once again in 2020. At 202cm, Reid is filling out nicely and can utilise that added strength to compete better one-on-one against big key forwards. He is a terrific judge of the ball in flight and positions intelligently, not just relying on his height to compete aerially. Reid is also both a sound handler and user of the ball for his size, providing a cool head in rebounding transitions.

Our 2021 first will be worth an early second this year.
a) The Cats won't gamble that we won't be a top side in 2021, why should they?
b) The Cats would prefer to use an early pick this year, so they need some incentive to trade it away.

In 2016 our first round pick was judged to be worth, a future pick, + a current second + a current 3rd. We gave back a 4th.

Finlay Macrae

Archie Perkins

Bailey Laurie

Zach Reid
2/03/2002 | 202cm | 82kg

Phillips, Bruhn, Berry, Hollands, Trew, O'Driscoll all suit us as well. It's a real tall forwards and midfielders draft. Bruhn looks like our style, injured a lot but sky high talent ceiling. Hollands is a bit of a Steele Sidebottom X factor mid/forward. Berry and Phillips are solid mids.

That was because Hawthorn was desperate for O'Meara and gave us a hugely overs deal.

that was not the norm in pick swaps.

OK , this is my logic from a Cats perspective for how i would evaluate the value of our future first rounder.

a) Where will Saints finish 2021 , do I gamble on it , or do I assume for the sake of the trade that it might be high up. So anything better than a late first rounder could be a bad deal for the Cats.

b) You are Geelong , do you prefer your pick this year or do you prefer to put back your stock of young players for a year in the future?
Most teams would prefer a pick this year to next year , so why do it ? OK so on top of point a) you need to pay overs to twist their arm.

That's my logic for an valuing a trade of our next years first. It is not worth pick 11 or 14 .
So to get 11 or 14 we'd need to include some pretty good picks, which we don't have, or a very talented young player, which we wouldn't want to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back