2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
....but then you move onto the next player of choice.

the only reason you do the pick swap is because you value it higher than what you are swapping out. This can be for a multitude of reasons, one of which is you believe your next player of choice doesn’t require such a high pick, so why pay such a high price?

....but then you move onto the next player of choice.

the only reason you do the pick swap is because you value it higher than what you are swapping out. This can be for a multitude of reasons, one of which is you believe your next player of choice doesn’t require such a high pick, so why pay such a high price?

‘and it’s possible because not all clubs have the same priorities, some are hoovering up points to match a bid.

there’s guaranteed to be skullduggery and collusion this year. The AFL just wants 2020 to be over and will muddle through

I’d rather we take the better player at pick 4 thanks
Yeah, I’d be ok with that too, but if we genuinely feel that we could split pick 4 into 3 picks and cover a few more holes in the list I won’t be upset either.

Yeah, I’d be ok with that too, but if we genuinely feel that we could split pick 4 into 3 picks and cover a few more holes in the list I won’t be upset either.

Either way it would definitely be a win, however given where our list is at due to recent departures and others reaching the twilight of the careers, I believe splitting our pick in order to obtain 2 solid role players (plus Pick 24 and Downie) this year and 2-3 more next year would fast track our apparent rebuild.

Regardless of what happens it's certainly going to be interesting times ahead 😁

Either way it would definitely be a win, however given where our list is at due to recent departures and others reaching the twilight of the careers, I believe splitting our pick in order to obtain 2 solid role players (plus Pick 24 and Downie) this year and 2-3 more next year would fast track our apparent rebuild.

Regardless of what happens it's certainly going to be interesting times ahead 😁
I don’t want to waste pick 4 on 2 solid role players

Pick 4 SHOULD get you a gun footballer for the next 10 years

We are crying out for some young guns

I don’t want to waste pick 4 on 2 solid role players

Pick 4 SHOULD get you a gun footballer for the next 10 years

We are crying out for some young guns

Generally I'd agree with you however we have WAY too many holes in our list at the moment.

While I'm wrapped we have the likes of O'Meara and Wingard on our list, we gave up alot for that to happen.

Combined with the ageing of our list it's left us in a precarious position and it severely needs correcting.

By no means am I having a sook or potting the club, however we need to rethink our tactics for the next couple of years before we end up a minnow like Carlton or Melbourne which none of us want.

Generally I'd agree with you however we have WAY too many holes in our list at the moment.

While I'm wrapped we have the likes of O'Meara and Wingard on our list, we gave up alot for that to happen.

Combined with the ageing of our list it's left us in a precarious position and it severely needs correcting.

By no means am I having a sook or potting the club, however we need to rethink our tactics for the next couple of years before we end up a minnow like Carlton or Melbourne which none of us want.
ST is absolutely correct. If have the chance to get a gun at pick 4 then we have to do it while we have the chance. Who knows when we’ll finish this low again.

ST is absolutely correct. If have the chance to get a gun at pick 4 then we have to do it while we have the chance. Who knows when we’ll finish this low again.

Quite possibly next season mate, what do you thinks going to happen after all the experience that's left at the end of last season?

Finals?

So, DFA period 1 ends tomorrow (Sunday).

DFA period 2 commences December 1 and closes December 2.

Might look like we aren't signing any DFAs.

Classic Hawthorn that we'll end up not taking anybody from arguably the strongest DFA pool of all time.

To be fair though, i'm sure the Covid influence on list sizes affects both the amount of players being delisted and our desire to add more depth players. In past seasons i'd expect us to be all over a few of the players recently let go.

Classic Hawthorn that we'll end up not taking anybody from arguably the strongest DFA pool of all time.

To be fair though, i'm sure the Covid influence on list sizes affects both the amount of players being delisted and our desire to add more depth players. In past seasons i'd expect us to be all over a few of the players recently let go.

Not sure if I want the club to get one anyway the way the draft is this year we could end up with a gun that would have come on in his final year and made top 15 if it wasn’t a COVID year I’d rather use the pick and take our chances as you never know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much rephrase what I have been saying, even last year, although this year's pick high enough. You can make a case for either but with what the club has gone and done, makes more sense to split, especially if GWS 3 picks really on offer for pick 4. People say bring in Phillips / Hollands but we paid dearly and have Mitchell/O'Meara/Wingard who are doing that, Worpel cannot get a look in engine room, still have cousins/Finn. 3 picks plus Downie would also be good outcome, Reid/Henry/Chapman/Mcrae/Cox/Powell/O'Driscoll/Carroll/Ford are just some names address different positions. As you said a few years of picking up 3-4 good players maybe better than 1 maybe 2. The club needs to have a strategy. Like you said if it did not go out and get O'Meara / Wingard, we may be bottom 4 for longer, getting access to those higher picks, now with Patton/Scully, others, looks like rebuilding on the run. The risk is also less when you pick up 3 top 20 rather than 1 top 5 whether ends up being as good player, whether can hold club to ransom if becomes a star.

Pretty much rephrase what I have been saying, even last year, although this year's pick high enough. You can make a case for either but with what the club has gone and done, makes more sense to split, especially if GWS 3 picks really on offer for pick 4. People say bring in Phillips / Hollands but we paid dearly and have Mitchell/O'Meara/Wingard who are doing that, Worpel cannot get a look in engine room, still have cousins/Finn. 3 picks plus Downie would also be good outcome, Reid/Henry/Chapman/Mcrae/Cox/Powell/O'Driscoll/Carroll/Ford are just some names address different positions. As you said a few years of picking up 3-4 good players maybe better than 1 maybe 2. The club needs to have a strategy. Like you said if it did not go out and get O'Meara / Wingard, we may be bottom 4 for longer, getting access to those higher picks, now with Patton/Scully, others, looks like rebuilding on the run. The risk is also less when you pick up 3 top 20 rather than 1 top 5 whether ends up being as good player, whether can hold club to ransom if becomes a star.

Finally, someone that gets it.

Totally agree mate and while opinions like ours are usually looked down upon, it just seems to make sense.

I love this club just as much as the rest of us and want it to improve not only rapidly but rightly.

How do we make this happen?

Nobody knows for certain but we all have an opinion.

If we can land either 2x Top 10 or 3x Top 15 players in exchange for 1x Top 5 player then surely this is more beneficial to what we're needing to achieve?

Add this along with Pick 24 and Downie and we've just drastically improved our list as opposed to adding a promising young player, that we hope is going to be a jet.

We have so many holes in our list and to improve it we need to increase the rate that we're rejuvenating it at.

Thanks for the well thought out and reasonable response, you put alot of work into it and it's much appreciated 😁

I’d rather look to the draft than add players delisted from other clubs

Totally agree mate and while opinions like ours are usually looked down upon, it just seems to make sense.

I love this club just as much as the rest of us and want it to improve not only rapidly but rightly.

If we can land either 2x Top 10 or 3x Top 15 players in exchange for 1x Top 5 player then surely this is more beneficial to what we're needing to achieve?

Add this along with Pick 24 and Downie and we've just drastically improved our list as opposed to adding a promising young player, that we hope is going to be a jet.

We have so many holes in our list and to improve it we need to increase the rate that we're rejuvenating it at.

Thanks for the well thought out and reasonable response, you put alot of work into it and it's much appreciated 😁
You mean finally someone agrees with you

I’d rather look to the draft than add players delisted from other clubs

Of course. However a compromised draft + bulk DFAs = potential for great top up value.

For example, would Darren Minchington have ended up on our list this season if this year's delisted players pool was available last season? I wouldn't have thought so.

The St.Kilda boys Parker and Phillips peak my interest the most. If St.Kilda weren't topping up for a serious top 4 tilt and covid hadn't hit then I believe those two would absolutely be retained.

I'm not too fussed with whatever route we take, but I certainly think there is some recycled player gold available this year.

You mean finally someone agrees with you

Sorry did you say something?

Pfft, there's plenty here that "agree" but are just being bullied by some that are of a differing opinion.

I've said before that I'll be happy either way but "I believe" that it would be not only more beneficial but more productive to split that pick.

Especially given where our list is at now.

Any other year I'd be ecstatic to get someone like a Phillips or Thilthorpe but once again given our situation, is that the best option?

But hey things could be worse, I could be frothing over drafting another ACL case and looking at the now as opposed to our long term future 😉

Sorry did you say something?

Pfft, there's plenty here that "agree" but are just being bullied by some that are of a differing opinion.

I've said before that I'll be happy either way but "I believe" that it would be not only more beneficial but more productive to split that pick.

Especially given where our list is at now.

Any other year I'd be ecstatic to get someone like a Phillips or Thilthorpe but once again given our situation, is that the best option?

But hey things could be worse, I could be frothing over drafting another ACL case and looking at the now as opposed to our long term future 😉

You "did" say 'finally someone that gets it.' That's a little arrogant to tell others about been bullied in having a differing opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are trading pick 4 this year, you don't get it or haven't watched any games.

You "did" say 'finally someone that gets it.' That's a little arrogant to tell others about been bullied in having a differing opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are trading pick 4 this year, you don't get it or haven't watched any games.

Yeah because most people that have stated similar have been shut down, once again by those of a differing opinion.

Same as if the majority did in fact want to split the pick and the minority wanted to use it, then no doubt that minority would once again be shut down.

Also unless you're a recruiter or went to the non-existent U18 games this season then you're relying on the same footage and information as the rest of us are which means little.

That's arrogance at it's finest right there mate.

Like I've said any other year I'd be in the majority here, but given that there's so many variables in play here "I don't believe" it's necessarily the best option.

Now I could be very wrong and to be truthful I hope that I am, because it means we're closer to success than I think we are, but as it stands "I believe" our list has many holes and a single player (especially another ACL case) won't fill those holes.

Last edited:

I don’t think most disagree with the strategy of splitting the pick it’s just that’s it’s a poor draft to do it in with it being so compromised. The pick we would be splitting isn’t even pick 4 but rather pick 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back