Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be there, I'll be a member and I'll probably still go to every game, but I won't feel 'bad' about games I can't make.

I'm going to take the 'better offer' on a rainy Sunday afternoon against the Bulldogs, the club doesn't give a s**t what I think, but it wants to guide what I do? Nah!

I've sent the below. I'm sure they'll go tl;dr Remember 2012! but I'm feeling better getting it all off my chest.

Greetings,
I write to you today an email I never in the 40 years I've followed the Port Adelaide Football Club I envisaged I would ever be compelled to write. The news that Ken Hinkley will remain as Senior coach in 2020 is the straw that has broken the camel's back for this Member.

To give you some background I've followed Port since before we joined the AFL, from the latter days of God's career. When we proved to the AFL we weren't just a 'little old club from Alberton', but the most successful Football club in Australia, deserving of a spot in the AFL, I made the decision to become a Member in 1997. I was one of those lucky enough to get a ticket to the first Showdown and announce to the wider competition that Port wouldn't have to wait years to be as good as some other football club. We knew then that even with a young list, that sort of talk was for those with a loser mentality.

I moved to Melbourne in 2000, but kept a full Platinum membership for the couple of games a year I could get back and to support the club I'd loved since a child. I was lucky enough to be there at the MCG when we won our first AFL flag. When my eldest son was born in 2005, premature and touch and go to live (a strapping 14 year old now), the first thing in his crib when allowed was a teddy in a tiny Port guernsey. This was going to be another generation of Port supporters.

I was unlucky enough to be there at the MCG when we played in our second grand final and moved back to SA at the start of 2008. Just in time for our darkest period, as the SANFL inflicted death spiral of cuts left us with a Skyped in Assistant and an IT guy roped in to help. Along with a fitness department run by a guy with Moobs. You know all this bit, but this is head off the 'Remember 2012!' the club has insulted fans with lately. By this time I was there with 4 Platinum ticket holders (myself, wife and 2 boys) from 2008 to 2012 during that period, when the coach had no resources. I sat at that concrete bowl branded with the colours of our rival and watched us get beaten more often then not. It hurt, but I knew the coach and club were fighting with one hand tied behind their backs and they never stopped caring about us fans who stayed loyal. I saw the club make the mistake of resigning a coach that they should have let go, only to pay for a decision that was obviously wrong at the time soon after. It hurt, but I thought 'My club would never be stupid enough to make such a mistake again'.

I was at our first our first Adelaide Oval game against Melbourne in 2011 and that day knew the club would hold on if we could just last out playing at the swamp until the move. When 2013 rolled around and the closet supporters started appearing, knowing the footy park days were numbered I rejoiced that the club had turned the corner.

2014 and Adelaide Oval was everything that game in 2011 promised and more. OneClub had fixed the mistakes of identity the SANFL split had forced, the AFL bailout had put our finances, if not in a great state, in one that gave a foundation and the move to a new home ground in a central location gave us the best fan experience across the league. Ken had assistants, a world class fitness department and facilities. Everything Primus would have killed for. The year finished in an Elimination final playing in the greatest guernsey there is - the Prison Bars. A narrow preliminary final loss and it appeared everything was poised for Port to finally assume it's rightful spot as a great club in fact, not just name, in the AFL.

Then 2015 and the cracks started to show.
The 2015 pre-season where everything was just expected to fall into place for Port to go that step further. Epitomised by that image of Ken lazying on a deck chair as we got flogged by Richmond in a pre-season game.
The rest of the league had caught up to our improved fitness and now it was down to Ken to show that with the level playing field he could match it with the other coaches. Quickly it became apparent he couldn't. Not for lack of a quality list, but all too often by sheer stubbornness. In 2015 we had our first clear evidence that Ken's inability to develop and play young KPF's was going to cost the club and cost dearly. Repeatedly we saw our forward line consisting of a small contesting with opposition talls, only for them to walk it out from an easy intercept and score at the other end. In fact this scenario would be how I'd describe the Ken Hinkley era. If it'd been only 2015 and Ken learnt, it'd have been frustrating, but a coach that can learn from his mistakes is a good coach.

2016 and did Ken learn? By god no! Once again we had a year of seeing Ken lose us many games at selection night. Then 2017 the same. Scrape into a finals series we by all rights should have been finishing top 4, if not for poor selections and match day coaching. It was obvious the list had gone as far as it could with Ken as coach. Yet the club panicked into resigning a now proven under performer, as Ken and his management played Keith and Koch like a fiddle. I looked back on the last contract given to Choco and was horrified that less than a decade later the club would make the same mistake. I'd thought if any club in the league would have learnt from our mistake it'd be us!

This was a turning point for the club. Not just the resigning, but the club started to turn a tin ear to any discontent from the fans. Those that dared question were a small bunch of malcontents. And we should remember 2012 and be eternally grateful to the current hierarchy whilst we are about it. The high point, if it could be called such, was the destruction of 148 years of history with the appointment of Co-captains. The club knew the fans hated the idea, they tried to tell us it was a good thing and they were listening to us. We still hated and the club gave us all a big finger and a 'F-U we know better'. Sold this pup as a means for more success it's been an abject failure from the start. Another year without finals, in fact less wins then last year. And the 'best' we've had is a half-hearted 'We're sorry and listening' email from the CEO, but no indication of any action on the things the fans want most:
A new head coach
One captain, wearing number 1 again from next year
The club standing up for our history and fighting for the right to wear the Prison bars every year. Not spinelessly referring to a secret deal that surprise, surprise, we never see published, as reason not to.
Premiership as the measure of success, not limping into the finals once every few years
Instead it's going to be more of the same. With a likely injury added to insult of losing Schoey and/or Monty, because like the majority of the fan base, they can't work with the pig headed fool in charge.

So where's all this leading? Last year for the first time since it was introduced I cancelled auto renewal of memberships. I was wavering then on rejoining until the fan initiated Bring back the Bars campaign reminded me of all I love about the club. Now though another year of the club embracing mediocrity and insulting the fans with Co-captains and general disdain for those of us paying our hard earned has driven me to step away from the club until Hinkley is no longer coach. 40 years a supporter, 23 years a Member and the last 5 years have broken how I feel about the club in a way the dark period of 2008-2012 didn't.

I will renew for 2020 if Ken is gone, but until then I can no longer be a Member (and therefore an enabler) of a club that has given me such joy across the majority of my life. There is the last chance for the club to realise that I'm far from alone and the cost in lost memberships and support will far outweigh the cost of paying out the remaining part of Hinkley's contract. The lack of spine shown the last few years in putting club before ego gives me little hope this will occur.

With deepest regrets,
André

Literally just spoke to the family about next year. We are all renewing plus another 2 are joining. The 150 celebrations is a special year that we all want to be a part of.
Each to there own, if you don't renew that's your call. Hopefully I can snap up some good seats with so many not renewing.

Your membership money doesn't help the club. Our membership numbers and attendance have peaked and we are still hamstrung.

The only way you can help the club is to stop turning up and force change. We need some of the 20 million that the SANFL is making for doing * all.

Otherwise we are stuck with s**t coaches and down a couple of good players because we can't pay the full salary cap forever. 10th spot is as good as it gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After hearing KT bumble his way through that interview I’ve decided 2020 will be a membership gap year for me.
Bloody fantastic news. Just got into alice from3 weeks on desert tracks and to read this and that coach of the power is still in safe hands is very good. Are you putting your tricycle in storage as well.

Bloody fantastic news.

Why would one less PAFC member be fantastic news? Regardless of your opinion towards the Legendary Fin Barr, surely money in the coffers of the club is always a positive, no matter where it comes from?

Unless of course you're nothing but a vindictive little chode who doesn't really love the club at all, and is only here to cup Hinkley's saggy balls and recycle his empty coke cans?

Bloody fantastic news. Just got into alice from3 weeks on desert tracks and to read this and that coach of the power is still in safe hands is very good. Are you putting your tricycle in storage as well.

You are by far the worst poster this board has ever had.

And you haven’t been in the desert, Baz. Everyone has seen you down the Port Club hosting talking footy each Thursday night...

Literally just spoke to the family about next year. We are all renewing plus another 2 are joining. The 150 celebrations is a special year that we all want to be a part of.
Each to there own, if you don't renew that's your call. Hopefully I can snap up some good seats with so many not renewing.
All the Port people I know personally have said they are still on the Port train. Not all supporters will drop off even though inside the BF walls it seems that way.

The club could mitigate at least some of the discontent by walking back Co-Captains / no #1, coming out strongly for the Prison Bars and putting in place a succession plan where it's clear either Schofield or Monty is our next senior coach and the other senior assistant.

Right now 2020 looks like it'll be pitched as 'Remember when we were good!' and 'THIS time it'll be different!'. * me, but even with Ken still there, none of the egotistical screw ups will show any contrition and do what's best for the club, as it'd show them up to varying degrees.

I guess sometimes scabs are proud of it
Hardly a scab!
This is not even close to the same thing as union action, and if it was, where is the vote for action that he's scabbing against?

Back