Analysis 2020 Onwards - Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Try new positions
Could win us a flag or at least solve some issues

Magden on ball
Could he play as a large clearance beast
Quicker than wills
Did play as a guard in college basketball

Keene forward chf
Will get bagged for this but
He's big, he's rough, tell him to see ball and get ball

Whe
Half back flank release crisp or Maynard up field,might play harder with responsibility
Wilson wing
Certainly time for a sqiz
Sidey forward
Play Cox
play stepho

Did I just drop acid?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We missed the boat.
Clarkson is yesterday’s man.
Ratten was the one.

Spot on.

Performed incredibly well with what was later shown to be a pretty poor group of players at Carlton.

Served a perfect apprenticeship with a successful club in Hawthorn.

This is the guy we should have gotten in to replace Buckley. I would have brought him in initially to replace Harvey with the promise he was next in line.

Too late now.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Instead we go for the likes of Quentin Lynch and Clinton Young, Jordan Russell, we got Treloar (in hindsight he made a bad decision. He could have been a double premiership player), Chris Mayne, Daniel Wells and Levi Greenwood. Players that we have all paid a premium for via Free Agency for over inflated salaries to get them to leave their clubs that their own clubs would not consider. They obviously knew something about their players. In the case of Beams he has hampered us with both draft picks and an inflated salary.
This. We are not the destination club we supporters thought we were. Those who join the club from rival clubs come because we give them stupid contracts that their clubs won’t match.

Greenwood had one good season at North and we rewarded him with a 4-year $1.6 million contract. He’s been serviceable when not injured, but he only joined the club for the deal. Mercenary.

Chris Mayne joined for the most ridiculous contract ever given to a dud (at the time) who was on the verge of delisting. 4 years, $2 million. Joined for the contract. Mercenary.

Daniel Wells has no problem admitting that the reason he joined Collingwood was that we offered him three years at 31 years old and North only offered two. He sold his legacy at North for a stupid contract that we offered. 3 years, $1.8 million and he played 15 games. Mercenary.

Treloar joined Collingwood not because he thought we had a better list, but because we offered $800k a year and Eddie gave his girlfriend a saucy media job which undoubtedly came with a nice salary. Great bloke and clubman but make no mistake, we bought him out of Richmond’s grasp. He would have picked them if we offered the same terms.

James Aish joined on a reported $400k p/y deal after a very poor second season at Brisbane. He ended up playing as an average half-back/wing on that money when he should have become a gun midfielder with elite foot skills. Fortunately we were able to offload him before it cost a star.

Honestly. Brodie Grundy. What club seriously would have offered him as much as we did? Besides Adelaide who are so bad that they couldn’t have paid him enough to join. Somehow we are paying him more than his market worth despite the fact that he was already playing for us before he signed the contract.

I could go on. The point is - why can’t we attract players without offering them the world? We’re Collingwood. We travel 5 times a year, play 14 games at the MCG, the home of the grand final, play marquee games in front of massive crowds on the regular, have heaps of opportunities outside of football (media opportunities, sponsorships etc). Yet we still have serious trouble managing to keep average lists under the salary cap. It’s mind boggling. Players clearly don’t respect us, and will only don the guernsey when we pay them more than anybody else.

Last edited:

It’s hard to comment without saying the negatives. Bucks and his game plan need to be thrown out, it’s obvious. We need to focus recruiting on a KPF if that means losing some players we’d like to keep them so be it. Young Daicos if he’s as good as the hype will be worth watching when he’s drafted. Midfielders are a dime a dozen but focus should be good big forwards and a new game plan.

Did I just drop acid?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We can't win a clearance
wills too slow
Seir non defensive
Adams too small
Pendels old and not quick not physical

Our forward lines a disgrace

Sidey. Keene. Checkers

Brown. Cox. Stepho

Can't be worse than what's offered now

No more Thomas
No more Reid
No more whe forward
No more Phillips
No more mayne

Not sure how we can trade up in the draft with the long list of dead wood we need to delist first. Unless we want to et rid of one our few decent players..........

We might have to just grab that tall e need at the trade table or pick him up later in the draft. Or maybe we try Moore as a forward. And pin our hopes on Kelly.
Moore, Kelly, Checkers, Stevo,Elliot, Degoey and Sidebottom
That is a forward line!

Moore, Kelly, Checkers, Stevo,Elliot, Degoey and Sidebottom
That is a forward line!

That's potentially an awesome set-up but it does rob our defence of Moore's talent. If Langdon's knee could do a Lazarus we could replace Moore in the back with a half-decent tall.

That's potentially an awesome set-up but it does rob our defence of Moore's talent. If Langdon's knee could do a Lazarus we could replace Moore in the back with a half-decent tall.

Then we try and find a KPD to Replace him. They are easier to Find and Trade for then a KPF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under Mick Malthouse we were a team that would straddle the boundary line, yet had no trouble scoring or belting teams. Under Nathan Buckley we can never kick a score and we're always leaving teams in games. It's quite clear which coach had the attacking intent, despite Malthouses defensive reputation.

Under Mick Malthouse we were a team that would straddle the boundary line, yet had no trouble scoring or belting teams. Under Nathan Buckley we can never kick a score and we're always leaving teams in games. It's quite clear which coach had the attacking intent, despite Malthouses defensive reputation.

however bucks has directed we setup this year is a train wreck. I feel sorry for our defence

As much as the wheels fell off at the end of '11 supporting the Pies that year was fun because we could just flick the switch and put teams away with a 9 goal quarter.

2018 was equally exciting in a sense but that level of football has not been sustained. We dropped off slightly in 2019 and this year... well that has been discussed enough this week.

This. We are not the destination club we supporters thought we were. Those who join the club from rival clubs come because we give them stupid contracts that their clubs won’t match.

Greenwood had one good season at North and we rewarded him with a 4-year $1.6 million contract. He’s been serviceable when not injured, but he only joined the club for the deal. Mercenary.

Chris Mayne joined for the most ridiculous contract ever given to a dud (at the time) who was on the verge of delisting. 4 years, $2 million. Joined for the contract. Mercenary.

Daniel Wells has no problem admitting that the reason he joined Collingwood was that we offered him three years at 31 years old and North only offered two. He sold his legacy at North for a stupid contract that we offered. 3 years, $1.8 million and he played 15 games. Mercenary.

Treloar joined Collingwood not because he thought we had a better list, but because we offered $800k a year and Eddie gave his girlfriend a saucy media job which undoubtedly came with a nice salary. Great bloke and clubman but make no mistake, we bought him out of Richmond’s grasp. He would have picked them if we offered the same terms.

James Aish joined on a reported $400k p/y deal after a very poor second season at Brisbane. He ended up playing as an average half-back/wing on that money when he should have become a gun midfielder with elite foot skills. Fortunately we were able to offload him before it cost a star.

Honestly. Brodie Grundy. What club seriously would have offered him as much as we did? Besides Adelaide who are so bad that they couldn’t have paid him enough to join. Somehow we are paying him more than his market worth despite the fact that he was already playing for us before he signed the contract.

I could go on. The point is - why can’t we attract players without offering them the world? We’re Collingwood. We travel 5 times a year, play 14 games at the MCG, the home of the grand final, play marquee games in front of massive crowds on the regular, have heaps of opportunities outside of football (media opportunities, sponsorships etc). Yet we still have serious trouble managing to keep average lists under the salary cap. It’s mind boggling. Players clearly don’t respect us, and will only don the guernsey when we pay them more than anybody else.
The last paragraph says it all.
We are seen as a soft touch, willing to pay over the odds to generate a positive media story.
Thats what you get when the man in charge is a media person. Eye never on the actual prize.

As much as the wheels fell off at the end of '11 supporting the Pies that year was fun because we could just flick the switch and put teams away with a 9 goal quarter.

2018 was equally exciting in a sense but that level of football has not been sustained. We dropped off slightly in 2019 and this year... well that has been discussed enough this week.
Even before 2011 we could have most of the game on our terms when we had a day out.

Clean out.
Rebuild.
Bucks has had 9 years. That’s enough.
Clarko time. If he doesn’t have the hunger; Hodge or Mitchell.
You are totally correct. 9 years with nothing to show for it under Buckley. Very poor recruiting at the draft such as the selections of SCHARENBERG & FREEMAN in 2013; from other clubs such as Daniel Wells etc, etc; and finally the Beams trade that cost us our 2 Ist round selections in the 2018 & 2019 drafts, respectively. I could go on into many other instances/errors/mistakes but the period from 2012 to 2020 reminds me very much of the period from 95 to 2000 when we just making up the numbers in the AFL. Simply, 9 years of wasted & missed opportunities. Until the club is willing to embrace a total clean-out, I genuinely feel that we will be discussing all the same issues in 2021, 2022, 2023 & beyond. But obviously Eddie & his totally compliant & servile & subservient board as well as Nathan are all of the view that all is tracking well. I do not know what they are all on but I wish I could get some of it. However to be totally serious, I see very little cause for optimism going forward as we effectively have no spine apart from potentially Moore @ centre-halfback & we have a very good ruckman while our best player & captain is still generally our best player week in & week outbut he is not getting any younger. But maybe I totally do not understand or comprehend the club's short-term, medium-term & long-term strategies, respectively. Can anybody out there enlighten me. Goodnight & good luck.

We won’t get a fresh start until Eddie goes.

We are probably 5 years off and a few consecutive bottom 4 finishes until we get some momentum behind that.

Until then it’s just stop gaps.
Sadly, I fear all of this is going to prove to be true.

Tha Beams and Treloar trades cost us a lot of potential talent to refresh the list.

And stop gaps might well give the club the illusion that we are still 'right there' in our window. A perfect season with negligible injuries to key players might get us close again, but how often do seasons like that actually happen?

And as others have already stated, the game plan would need to evolve and expand anyway, under the same club leaders (Maguire's clearly not going any time soon, so neither is Bucks, unless he falls on his own sword).

It may take at least another level of drop off in on-field performance before any serious questions get asked from within the club about the Maguire-Walsh-Bucks-Harvey-Sanderson group.

In reality, our best chance for real momentous change might be for Bucks to realise he's not the right man for the job and move on by himself, leading to a major clean out on and off-field.

Eddie does look very comfortable in the seat, so how else does he go any time soon?

2020 onwards from my view.

We still have a core group that’s young enough to be good again

Backs - Crisp, Maynard, Moore, Howe
Mids - Pendles, Adams, Sidebottom, Degoey, Treloar (questionable)
Forwards WHE, Stephenson, Miocheck, Elliot

I’m not saying all are superstars or even will reach decent form again but it’s not complete panic stations.

We need a decent trading period.

Required - Key Forward, Skilled mid, Role players to replace Mayne and Varcoe.

At the moment we have to many passengers who just turn the ball over.

I'm not as prepared to blow up the side as much as many others on here. Guys like JT, WHE, Phillips etc have shown they can be decent in a side that is playing well. Every side has players like that. Obviously we should be prepared to move them on if necessary, but we are always going to have guys who look out of their depth when the side is playing poorly.

As much as we want to look at the coaching staff, etc our injuries and lack of ability to form cohesion across a group of 24-26 players has cost the team big time. It's basically impossible to win games with the how often we have guys come into the side and then go out because they don't get to play consistently with guys around them. Give this podcast a listen on how important cohesion is in winning teams (https://www.afl.com.au/news/93562/listen-three-teams-eight-flags-one-key-ingredient)

I feel that right now we should be looking at getting in guys who might only be B/C graders but have a good injury history as opposed to guys who are great players, but can't stay on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back