Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're spot on. No one is has jumped up to be a potential top 20 player in the comp.

2003 could have a challenger for their worst draft ever title.
I don't think it'll be quite that bad, I do think as the draft goes on we should see some breakouts. A lot of the top-end was drafted pretty raw or as KPP's, and there's been a fair few injuries too.

So far it reminds me a bit of the 2012 draft. You might get some genuine guns out of it but the depth looks awfully shallow.

Selecting for the future, you'd still put the big forwards in the top 5. Gulden certainly for now, no reason to rate him any lower and not many mids have really been outstanding from this draft. Chapman has been impressive thus far, and you can't discount a 40 goal year from Ginnivan.

Outside of that, there's not much that jumps out in terms of potential A-grade players. The lack of a 2020 season for the VIC boys is probably part of the issue, so this draft might be a bit of a slow burn.

This was a draft with a few talls so we will probably need to give them more time but right now, Imo, looks fairly light.

Yep.

Phillips is starting to find his feet after a heap of illness/injury.

It's been quite an injured top 10 compared to other drafts, factoring in the talls also, so will take some time to determine imo.

Eddie Ford is another that is breaking out as a wingman atm, with looks like a really high ceiling with his physical profile.

gotta give this draft and the 2021 crop a little more time
they had their U18 years written off and preseasons weren't exactly perfect.

Thilthorpe is having a great season
Perkins has been the first to reach 50 games i think, so he's getting good k's into the legs.

Gulden would be clear #1 for me.

I actually think this could end up a really good draft. It's fairly thin on smalls though Holmes and Gulden are super players already and Phillips, Perkins, Bruhn, Jones, Bowey, Walker, Campbell, Pedlar, etc look like they should be good long term players.

But the depth of talls in this draft is pretty amazing. Even outside the top end which is stacked with promising talls (or guys like Chapman and Henry that play tall) there are guys like Samson Ryan and Ollie Lord that look better than most young talls that come into the comp.

Few smalls later in the draft are starting to come on as well, McCreery looks really good, Brockman as well, Ford has started well and Maurice Rioli Jr has shown good signs. Mitchell from the 2nd round has finally gotten his body right and has slotted in for us as well.

Few smalls later in the draft are starting to come on as well, McCreery looks really good, Brockman as well, Ford has started well and Maurice Rioli Jr has shown good signs. Mitchell from the 2nd round has finally gotten his body right and has slotted in for us as well.

Ford and McCreery aren't really small in the traditional sense.

Ford is 189cm and like 86kg already, but I get where you care coming from.

Ford and McCreery aren't really small in the traditional sense.

Ford is 189cm and like 86kg already, but I get where you care coming from.
Yeah I more so meant not a KPP. Back in the day we used to call the 198cm Conor Nash a small forward. 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My "best 22" of this draft:

FB: Lachlan Jones - Heath Chapman - Jake Bowey
HB: Brandon Walker - Denver Grainger-Barrass - Braeden Campbell
MF: Tanner Bruhn - Archie Perkins - Errol Gulden
HF: Beau McCreery - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Oliver Henry
FF: Jack Ginnivan - Logan McDonald - Riley Thilthorpe
OB: Samson Ryan - Max Holmes - Sam Berry
IC: Nathan O'Driscoll - Luke Pedlar - Nik Cox - Will Phillips

Bloody good fws line

Phillips and Ford would begin moving up this list now I would think.

This age groups this rankings this season based on player ratings

1686640023151.png

Think you can quite comfortably say that given a redraft, you'd be looking at Gulden + the Big Three KPF's (JUH, McDonald, Thilthorpe).

Been really happy with JUH this year, set shots aside. 16.21 is probably not the accuracy you're after, although he's got a good technique and ball drop so it's probably more based on the areas he's been taking his shots. With that being said, 37 shots at goal over 13 rounds is a good return for a third year KPF. His up the ground work has also been fantastic. I'm obviously a biased man, but I would still take him number 1.

Think you can quite comfortably say that given a redraft, you'd be looking at Gulden + the Big Three KPF's (JUH, McDonald, Thilthorpe).

Been really happy with JUH this year, set shots aside. 16.21 is probably not the accuracy you're after, although he's got a good technique and ball drop so it's probably more based on the areas he's been taking his shots. With that being said, 37 shots at goal over 13 rounds is a good return for a third year KPF. His up the ground work has also been fantastic. I'm obviously a biased man, but I would still take him number 1.
Agree on JUH - he would be my 2nd pick. But not sure the other 2 go 3 & 4.

They are in the mix but not standouts.

Agree on JUH - he would be my 2nd pick. But not sure the other 2 go 3 & 4.

They are in the mix but not standouts.
In other drafts, sure, but I'm currently struggling to see much notable competition at the pointy end. The mids, like Perkins, Holmes, Phillips etc have played well in spurts, but without much sustainable consistency. That might be true of the KPFs too, but it's much more difficult to remain consistent as a young forward, so I'm willing to provide more leniency.

Given the opportunity to draft again (and taking into account future development), I'd probably go:
1) JUH
2) McDonald
3) Gulden
4) Thilthorpe
5) *, idk, maybe Perkins?

In other drafts, sure, but I'm currently struggling to see much notable competition at the pointy end. The mids, like Perkins, Holmes, Phillips etc have played well in spurts, but without much sustainable consistency. That might be true of the KPFs too, but it's much more difficult to remain consistent as a young forward, so I'm willing to provide more leniency.

Given the opportunity to draft again (and taking into account future development), I'd probably go:
1) JUH
2) McDonald
3) Gulden
4) Thilthorpe
5) *, idk, maybe Perkins?

Depends what you are determining as the sample size.

I think you are underrating Holmes, Phillips and Perkins to an extent.

Phillips is rated above Will Day and Jason Horne-Francis this year.

The 22 and under midfielders in the comp are ranked by AFL ratings this season as:

1. Newcombe (22)
2. Anderson (22)
3. Serong (22)
4. Rowell (22)
5. T.Green (22)
6. Martin (22)
7. Gulden (22)
8. Warner (22)
9. Holmes (21)
10. Phillips (21)
11. Day (22)
12. Horne-Francis (20)
13. Ashcroft (19)
14. Wardlaw (19)
15. Callaghan (20)
16. Soligo (20)
17. Ward (20)
18. Bruhn (20)
19. Ginbey (19)
20. Durham (22)

Daicos and Sheezel are categorised as medium defenders.

Daicos (20) would be #2 and Sheezel (19) would be #14

Owens (20) is classified as a forward, but would slot in behind Holmes and ahead of Phillips in #10.

Depends what you are determining as the sample size.

I think you are underrating Holmes, Phillips and Perkins to an extent.

Phillips is rated above Will Day and Jason Horne-Francis this year.

The 22 and under midfielders in the comp are ranked by AFL ratings this season as:

1. Newcombe (22)
2. Anderson (22)
3. Serong (22)
4. Rowell (22)
5. T.Green (22)
6. Martin (22)
7. Gulden (22)
8. Warner (22)
9. Holmes (21)
10. Phillips (21)
11. Day (22)
12. Horne-Francis (20)
13. Ashcroft (19)
14. Wardlaw (19)
15. Callaghan (20)
16. Soligo (20)
17. Ward (20)
18. Bruhn (20)
19. Ginbey (19)
20. Durham (22)

Daicos and Sheezel are categorised as medium defenders.

Daicos (20) would be #2 and Sheezel (19) would be #14

Owens (20) is classified as a forward, but would slot in behind Holmes and ahead of Phillips in #10.
I think that drafting a midfielder inside the top 5, you'd want either an outstanding trait, or ultra-consistency. Especially if there's key position players that are showing equal amounts of talent.

I like Phillips (for example), he's a tough midfielder, but he's not exactly a player that will be that game breaker. He seems more a jack of all trades type player. I do like him though, he's been good for me the last few weeks in Supercoach :p. Especially compared to Will Day and JHF who have certain qualities that can make them star midfielders and potentially change games. You're more inclined to select those types of players instead of your Phillips, Perkins. I don't mind player ratings, but in terms of player comparisons, they're not a very good guide because some statistics are heavily favoured over others which results in some weird outcomes.

For me JUH, McDonald, TT have shown they can end up being very good key forwards for the next decades. Each of them has kicked a bag on a few occasions or really impressed talent-wise, and the growth potential is obvious. Resultantly, I'd select each of them in the top 5 over the rest of the midfielders (excluding Gulden), both because of their own potential and the fact that the remaining midfielders haven't given me a reason to choose otherwise.

I think that drafting a midfielder inside the top 5, you'd want either an outstanding trait, or ultra-consistency. Especially if there's key position players that are showing equal amounts of talent.

I like Phillips (for example), he's a tough midfielder, but he's not exactly a player that will be that game breaker. He seems more a jack of all trades type player. I do like him though, he's been good for me the last few weeks in Supercoach :p. Especially compared to Will Day and JHF who have certain qualities that can make them star midfielders and potentially change games. You're more inclined to select those types of players instead of your Phillips, Perkins. I don't mind player ratings, but in terms of player comparisons, they're not a very good guide because some statistics are heavily favoured over others which results in some weird outcomes.

For me JUH, McDonald, TT have shown they can end up being very good key forwards for the next decades. Each of them has kicked a bag on a few occasions or really impressed talent-wise, and the growth potential is obvious. Resultantly, I'd select each of them in the top 5 over the rest of the midfielders (excluding Gulden), both because of their own potential and the fact that the remaining midfielders haven't given me a reason to choose otherwise.

I think you're underrating Holmes here. He's the second best performed player behind Gulden so far and has huge upside with his elite speed, acceleration and power.

My top 3 would be Gulden, Holmes and JUH. No particular order. It depends what you want. I put JUH ahead of the other key forwards because he just oozes class and his ceiling is enormous.

Then I'd have Tilthorpe, McDonald, Perkins and Phillips in the next layer. Then about 25 others behind that who all look potentially very good players.

I think you're underrating Holmes here. He's the second best performed player behind Gulden so far and has huge upside with his elite speed, acceleration and power.

My top 3 would be Gulden, Holmes and JUH. No particular order. It depends what you want. I put JUH ahead of the other key forwards because he just oozes class and his ceiling is enormous.

Then I'd have Tilthorpe, McDonald, Perkins and Phillips in the next layer. Then about 25 others behind that who all look potentially very good players.
Maybe I am. I do actually really like Holmes, definitely my next favourite, and brings something that Perkins and Phillips doesn't with his speed. I still stand by my ordering, and I'm slightly cynical of this draft class in general, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong.

Maybe I am. I do actually really like Holmes, definitely my next favourite, and brings something that Perkins and Phillips doesn't with his speed. I still stand by my ordering, and I'm slightly cynical of this draft class in general, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong.

Wat?

Phillips is quick. He breaks away from initial congestion.

You clearly haven't been watching.

Also backed up by his combine 20m results of around 2.93 for the 20m.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back