Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Wat?

Phillips is quick. He breaks away from initial congestion.

You clearly haven't been watching.

Also backed up by his combine 20m results of around 2.93 for the 20m.
Personally I don't see him as noticeably explosive in that respect. Quick and smart with his movement, yes, but he doesn't wow you with it. He's got quick hands and finds a good outlet pass though, which I like.

I actually watch a fair bit of North Melbourne for SC reasons. Phillips has been in my team since quite early on, even during the 3 or so weeks he missed. Therefore I've been watching him very closely.

Holmes I see as much better in transition and perhaps more damaging in that respect, he's able to find open space a bit easier. Phillips has a better contested game to him.

Although, could the same be said if they swapped teams? Who knows.

Last edited:
My "best 22" of this draft:

FB: Lachlan Jones - Heath Chapman - Jake Bowey
HB: Brandon Walker - Denver Grainger-Barrass - Braeden Campbell
MF: Tanner Bruhn - Archie Perkins - Errol Gulden
HF: Beau McCreery - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Oliver Henry
FF: Jack Ginnivan - Logan McDonald - Riley Thilthorpe
OB: Samson Ryan - Max Holmes - Sam Berry
IC: Nathan O'Driscoll - Luke Pedlar - Nik Cox - Will Phillips

Very good draft/trade period, for us to have 3 of those 22, plus Jez Cameron.

Still have no idea how we pulled all that off, haha.

Initially I was disappointed we took Phillips over McDonald but what I’ve seen recently it’s not going to be the howler some thought it would be.
He had an unfortunate start to his career with injury, form and illnesses last year making it impossible for him to get a solid run at it. Good to see him playing well, I liked watching him play in that dominant Chargers team in 2019.

McDonald has looked good but the injury big has struck him too unfortunately.

It was a s**t night for the cats in Adelaide but seeing Holmes and Bruhn dominate the first quarter was a great sign.

Holmes is a gun and Bruhn has really stepped up in the last few weeks. He's starting to show why he was rated so highly. Such a pity Bruhn went down injured soon after that and Holmes was left fighting a lone hand in midfield.

We'll, there you go. In year 3, Gulden is already a top 18 player in the league (probably closer to top 10). That's a high bar for the rest of the draft class to reach... at any stage of their career. I'll be very interested to see how he polls on Brownlow night

From reddit

lcu3atk72z3c1.jpg

cefclm382z3c1.jpg

From reddit

lcu3atk72z3c1.jpg

cefclm382z3c1.jpg

Geelong loses the redrafted number 2 pick from their academy

Bids on the redrafted number 1 to thunderous laughter from his owner club

Trades 3x first rounders out of the draft

Still gets 2 in the top 6 with another likely to 20

What a wild draft to reflect on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perkins 10? Come on, he can't have him behind McCreery, surely? Or Henry?
henry just kicked 41 goals in a season and mccreery is one of the best pressure smalls in the game. both have had better careers to date than perkins who is in a weird inbetween of not quite a mid, but not quite a forward either.

henry just kicked 41 goals in a season and mccreery is one of the best pressure smalls in the game. both have had better careers to date than perkins who is in a weird inbetween of not quite a mid, but not quite a forward either.
I'm a fan of both but Perkins has been the fourth best of this draft class in my (admittedly biased) opinion.

From reddit

lcu3atk72z3c1.jpg

cefclm382z3c1.jpg

I'm not really sure what McDonald or Campbell have done to be rated that highly. Are they just there cause they were rated highly at the draft and have probably been better than Tilthorpe? The top 3 are miles ahead of them.

Pity about Chapman's injuries this year. I'd probably have him 4th based on his performances last year. And I like Perkins.

McCreary is a really nice role player. But will he ever be more than that?

I'm not really sure what McDonald or Campbell have done to be rated that highly. Are they just there cause they were rated highly at the draft and have probably been better than Tilthorpe? The top 3 are miles ahead of them.

Pity about Chapman's injuries this year. I'd probably have him 4th based on his performances last year. And I like Perkins.

McCreary is a really nice role player. But will he ever be more than that?

I suspect it is a combination of what they have achieved so far and also their potential as the 2020 draft is still too recent to just go on achievement so far.

Interesting to think that had a couple of things gone our way - JUH not being moved from our Academy area/Gulden able to be matched only after 40 in line with current NGA rules (never would happen due to Northern Academy differences) -, then we could have ended up with from the 1 year:

Jeremy Cameron
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Errol Gulden
Max Holmes
Tanner Bruhn
Ollie Henry

Still overjoyed with 4 of them...but we would have been unstoppable with the other 2 as well!

Interesting to think that had a couple of things gone our way - JUH not being moved from our Academy area/Gulden able to be matched only after 40 in line with current NGA rules (never would happen due to Northern Academy differences) -, then we could have ended up with from the 1 year:

Jeremy Cameron
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Errol Gulden
Max Holmes
Tanner Bruhn
Ollie Henry

Still overjoyed with 4 of them...but we would have been unstoppable with the other 2 as well!
You're doing a bit of double dipping there.

Firstly you're wishing the Northern Academy rules would have precluded matching a bid before pick 40 in year when the NGA rules had no such matching constraints and where you would have been allowed to match a bid at pick 1 on a player had he not been removed from your zone.

Secondly, had Ugle-Hagan still been in your zone and thus you were able to match a bid at pick 1, you would not have had the draft capital to match that bid, trade in Jeremy Cameron and still draft Holmes and bid on Gulden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back