Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess Kyle Dunkley was a loser.

You ain’t getting Dunkley

You burnt the Dunkley family and Dad is mighty pissed off, not only could you not follow through on the promise to Josh you f...Ed Kyle over as well.

Dunkley may well be traded next year but it won’t be to the bombers
I guess Kyle Dunkley was a loser.
You guys realise there are SSP selections right? We can still make two selections before next season and Kyle makes sense for our list.

More referring to how highly he was rated as a 15/16 year old when he did play mostly as a forward.

I see exactly where you are coming from.

The kids in Victoria, have missed a season of footy. A lot can happen to your body in 12 + months. Junior footy in WA & SA progressed in 2020, so recruiters were able to get a good assessment.

Who knows, Daicos may have plateaued, and others gone past him ?.

The club that had the most first round picks won the draft.

I haven't seen any of the draftees but I recognise the most names in this club's bunch from the phantoms, so they are my 2nd choice.

This club took a player in the 50s that was tipped in most phantoms' 1st round so I'll put them 3rd.

I'll mention my club here, comment on why each and every one of our selections is a great choice - especially those that are unknown, seem surprise picks, or have been previously criticised in the thread, to beat them up but also show I'm not biased. I mean I didn't include us in the top 3 so how could I be? I’ll point out how far our selections slid, that they probably would have gone 1st round next year / or if they weren’t injured. If it seems a bit of a surprise choice because they weren’t included in many phantoms I’ll mention why they should have gone much earlier, or use the opinion of their junior coach to help demonstrate how elite they could be. I haven’t heard of them either but I have watched the highlights video now that’s been posted on my club’s website. I'll also include players brought in over the trade period to support how good our draft was as well.

This club that took the first round player that I wanted (after watching their 3 minute youtube highlights video) so they go 5th.

This club took the most selections so they are 6th.

I don't recognise many names in this club's pool, or they have taken a smoky, or they have overreached according to the phantoms, or they don't match the BigFooty groupthink matrix, so they are the losers.

No one rated your picks huh

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

If you're going to review winners and losers, don't you have to consider what assets the club started with on the night? It's pretty pointless to say, Collingwood, Sydney, WB did well because they had the biggest advantages and investments going into the draft.

Collingwood for example picked up a large bunch of players but have significantly divested from next year's draft, which is supposed to be stronger.

You are spot on.

Problem is this concept is hard to understand and discuss. Takes too much thinking. For most anyway. ;)

fu** that is frightening!
Not being a prick but it must be nice after years of mediocrity to then become an absolute powerhouse and dynasty club.
Now have the chance to keep it going for years yet just as you'll probably need a little injection of young class.

As I said...Frightening!

You dont need a lot of top end elite talent with Richmonds game plan. Thats what is more frightening really.

If another style doesnt counter it or be more effective then other teams will adopt it.

They do still look like a different team with no Dusty.

You dont need a lot of top end elite talent with Richmonds game plan. Thats what is more frightening really.

If another style doesnt counter it or be more effective then other teams will adopt it.

They do still look like a different team with no Dusty.
I get where you're coming from but my view is a bit different.
A great team without top end...Frightening with it.
Now they'll top up.

It'll take another revolutionary game plan to beat it.

Peoples you don't need to justify Essendon's draft choices to me,
if you're happy with the choices that's all that matters :thumbsupv1:

Personally I would have taken a mid at Perkins pick but that's just me..
Cox and Reid are great choices, along with your NGA's that you were committed to.

So Cox and Reid are great choices but Essendon ranking is weird? Lol. Have to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Only thing weird here is your opinion.

Then, Carlton get a ranking of excellent? Lol. Based on what? Picked up a sure hack with the first one and then got a slider. Probably will get a D+ at best which is below average.

You don't give the ranking based on what the club needs are but rather on the ability of the players chosen by the club and the potential. Essendon ranking is A+...they just brought in 5 amazingly talented kids that any club recruiter will give their left nut for.

- Adelaide got some great local talent.
- Collingwood got some highly touted mids.
- Sydney got a great set of players.
- North did well also.

Obviously these are the clubs with multiple early picks, so they walk away the winners. Now it is all about developing them and making them elite level players.

So Cox and Reid are great choices but Essendon ranking is weird? Lol. Have to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Only thing weird here is your opinion.

Then, Carlton get a ranking of excellent? Lol. Based on what? Picked up a sure hack with the first one and then got a slider. Probably will get a D+ at best which is below average.

You don't give the ranking based on what the club needs are but rather on the ability of the players chosen by the club and the potential. Essendon ranking is A+...they just brought in 5 amazingly talented kids that any club recruiter will give their left nut.

- Adelaide got some great local talent.
- Collingwood got some highly touted mids.
- Sydney got a great set of players.
- North did well also.

Obviously these are the clubs with multiple early picks, so they walk away the winners. Now it is all about developing them and making them elite level players.

Care to give your definitive list of hacks and superstars? I’m sure you’ll have the mummy’s boy right up there. You wouldn’t have a clue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quick search of the Peter Dean academy thread will show fans thought 16 yo Ben would be a first round pick so the club should trade out of the first Rd to get him cheap. He also played many games as a fwd at U/18 level, it wasn't until people actually watched him play they realised he was massively over rated.

Similar story Id like to know who has actually seen this Daicos kid play considering there was no football this year?
I must be blind. Send me the links of where the fans say this.

Peoples you don't need to justify Essendon's draft choices to me,
if you're happy with the choices that's all that matters :thumbsupv1:
Exactly. For the last few years I’ve heard Carlton fans claiming to win the trade and draft period.

The proof comes 5-6 later when these draftees are contributing to a teams success (or not).

The system is set up so even the clubs that aren’t going so great can have some hope at this time of year, as you and I well know about.

I get where you're coming from but my view is a bit different.
A great team without top end...Frightening with it.
Now they'll top up.

It'll take another revolutionary game plan to beat it.

Feel the game plans to beat the Tigers are;

1) Get a pretty good, dry track and out mark them. Problem is you dont control conditions.

2) Pace out of defense and in attack. Yes use the talls but its play on and run. A head to head both teams attack and everyone defends. Would be a high scoring game and a beauty IMO.

Taking your time moving the ball is what Richmond set up very well against.

There’s nothing wrong with NGA players being picked up early. I’d just like to see clubs pay fair value for their players. No 20% discount and needing to use a pick in the bidded round would go a long way.

For example the Dogs would have needed 3000 points for JUH and a pick 18 (985 points) at minimum. This combined with the picks/list spots rule would solve it IMO.
I agree with this 100% I think if jamarra goes pick 5 or later they dont change the rule which is just another reactionary afl rule change, jamarra is the extremist case at pick one and under your system every team still would pay that price to get him, and every team would love this opportunity if it was afforded to them, the pre pick 40 just ruined it for all involved

Draft Day with Clarko

"Holy s**t fella's we could get Logan here"
"Swannies will take that DGB bloke that noone can spell right...i guarantee it"
"Yesssssss, North took Phillips...we got Logan i reckon, we got him i tell you "
"Hurry up you insterstate flogs, take DGB, take DGB lalalalalalala take DGB...FFFAAAAARRRRRRQQQQ !!!!"
"$G$#%#$@#%#$# those pricks"
" Ok bid on Campbell, that'll pharkem up, do it fella's..." " i dont givashit just do it willya !!! "
*punches gyprock wall*
"i gotta stop doing that"
"hello...you still there fella's ?"
"who's left that can kick ? "
" ok ok yeah i've calmed down, so who's left that can kick ?"
"i dont care if he can punch the ball, can he farrkin kick it ?"

Sydney won the draft getting McDonald at 4. Pissed off the Hawks enough for them to bid on Campbell at 5.

I get the feeling our board would have been ranked something like this...

JHU, Campbell, McDonald, DGB, Phillips

Take out the NGA and we would have taken Campbell as he addresses one of our key issues (elite disposal out of the midfield).

We literally couldn't go wrong with every other selection because every that was going to potentially be left available to us suited a need. Won't be much separating this top 5 in a decades time I wouldn't have thought either.

I'm actually more confident with selecting Denver over McDonald anyway. I was nervous when the rumours started flying that Logan would slip to us. Key forwards have high bust potential and whilst he could be an absolute superstar I can't help but think back to Schache, Mccartin etc.
I rated Denver as the most reliable selection of the fab 5 along with Phillips. Stoked we ended up with the Shaggy.

I assess who won the trade by looking at the teams and who they bought into the club at what expense
Sydney - Lost nothing
Sydney gained - McDonald , Campbell,Gulden

A+

Sydney basically take a cheat sheet into the exam to get an A+ each year and the teacher turns a blind eye.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back