Other Teams
Six decades of domination
not sure the swans could have had a better draft

McDonald
Campbell
Gulden
Hickey in a trade

for some reason thought this was the Warner draft. still an excellent result

Sydney should be on hands and knees that North didn't bid on Campbell.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not going to put them in order, but something like Gulden, Bowey, Chapman, Perkins, Henry, Bruhn, Macdonald, Treacy, Grainger-Barrass, Ginnivan? They all seem to have cracked their team's 22.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Not going to put them in order, but something like Gulden, Bowey, Chapman, Perkins, Henry, Bruhn, Macdonald, Treacy, Grainger-Barrass, Ginnivan? They all seem to have cracked their team's 22.
The Don has cracked Freos best 22, we don't win without him

Not going to get the stats of the other guys as a lockdown defender but did atleast get a rising star nom

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Holmes had locked himself into the best 22 at Geelong until getting injured. For all the talk of covid making nobody know who the good players were it's got the potential to be a very good draft.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
1 Logan McDonald
2 Heath Chapman
3 Archie Perkins
4 Oliver Henry
5 Tanner Bruhn

That is whom I would take for current and future potential growth based on exposed form, Perkins might be a tad high at 3, but I think his outstanding game against The Saints last night is going to start happening more on a regular basis, Essendon have the player with the highest ceiling/scope for growth in this draft, along with McDonald, in my opinion

Bowey still not to make the top 5 (he was next in the list)

I am just really bullish about those kids and their likely future potential and trajectory.

Giants would be filthy if they lose Bruhn, kid is a weapon, esp by foot.

1 Logan McDonald
2 Heath Chapman
3 Archie Perkins
4 Oliver Henry
5 Tanner Bruhn

That is whom I would take for current and future potential growth based on exposed form, Perkins might be a tad high at 3, but I think his outstanding game against The Saints last night is going to start happening more on a regular basis, Essendon have the player with the highest ceiling/scope for growth in this draft, along with McDonald, in my opinion

Bowey still not to make the top 5 (he was next in the list)

I am just really bullish about those kids and their likely future potential and trajectory.

Giants would be filthy if they lose Bruhn, kid is a weapon, esp by foot.
While I love the Chapman rating, bit harsh not to have Gulden in there somewhere. His use by foot is gamebreaking

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
While I love the Chapman rating, bit harsh not to have Gulden in there somewhere. His use by foot is gamebreaking

Damn I knew I forgot someone good in Gulden, he probably gets in ahead of Bruhn.

A really intriguing draft where you can't at this stage put any of the top 3 picks in a revised top 10, although I think Thilthorpe will get there eventually

So disappointed with Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, however I would like to see how he goes under a new coach (at the Dogs or elsewhere), seems to me as an outside observer Bevo really doesn't know what to do with him.

Been wondering with the inclusion of the Pre season supplement period and the Mid season draft where some of those guys would land if these draft years where re done today.

For example where would Jai Newcombe land?
Easily the best 20 year old mid in the game.

I'm just not to sure if you would include him in the 2020 draft discussion or the 2021 as an over-ager.

Edit: he would also scrape into the 2019 draft class as well so that's probably where he should land.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Number 1 might be a stretch based on exposed form, but there's no reason why Jamarra should be ranked behind players like Thilthorpe or McDonald. There'll be tribulations for each of these players, but Jamarra has certainly shown he can match his talent with output since the bye.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Swans did a clever job hiding him from the National Scouts (if you believe the rumours)

Definitely would have Errol now in the top 5 from this draft. So classy.
Hidden? He played in all 4 games for the Allies, was U16 MVP award winner, played in U17 & U18 championships but okay you drink that bath water if it makes you happy.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree, I saw people didn’t have him top 5 in here. He’s been top 5 since his debut
He's the top performed player out of this draft at the moment, but if the draft were redone tomorrow, I think the three big forwards taken early would still be taken before him. JUH is starting to show signs of how highly rated he was.

Gulden would be top 10, maybe top 5. But then, having watched him play a decent amount of junior football, I didn't really understand why he wasn't rated around the top 10 at the time.

Geelong was an odd one. Trading out of what is considered a stronger draft to take a guy from nowhere that had played only 1 game this year. They traded very well though for where they are at in terms of premiership window
Fair to say a couple years later and that trade looks alright. Holmes playing some good footy.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair to say a couple years later and that trade looks alright. Holmes playing some good footy.
Hard to know how they picked him out but the kid is a star in the making. Ballsy trade that looks like genius right now.

Gulden, Perkins, Holmes and Chapman are all classy players that look set to be quality long-term AFL players. JUH has the world at his feet and would probably still be taken number 1.

They're probably the top 5 right now but there are lots of guys who have shown glimpses of super talent who could break out. Definitely an argument Tilthorpe, DGB, McDonald, Cox, Hollands or Henry could go very early if a team backed their development.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Hard to know how they picked him out but the kid is a star in the making. Ballsy trade that looks like genius right now.

Gulden, Perkins, Holmes and Chapman are all classy players that look set to be quality long-term AFL players. JUH has the world at his feet and would probably still be taken number 1.

They're probably the top 5 right now but there are lots of guys who have shown glimpses of super talent who could break out. Definitely an argument Tilthorpe, DGB, McDonald, Cox, Hollands or Henry could go very early if a team backed their development.

Bowey?
Bruhn?

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Bowey?
Bruhn?
Bowey was dropped the last 2 weeks. Looks a really calm player who stood up when it mattered last year but not sure his ceiling is as good as some of the others.

Bruhn I haven't really seen it. In and out of the Giants team. Definitely still time to make it but just hasn't hit the mark yet.

I'd have them both somewhere outside the top 10 if the draft was redone.

Geelong was an odd one. Trading out of what is considered a stronger draft to take a guy from nowhere that had played only 1 game this year. They traded very well though for where they are at in terms of premiership window
Looking better now. Holmes looks like a very good player for the next few seasons. Now getting Bruhn and Henry in the door.
That trade netted a player crucial in winning a premiership.

I'm going to stick to my guns on this one where I think it's going to go down as a bit of a stinker, or at the very least, very very shallow. Think very few teams are going to be happy with the talent they got out of it in another 10 years or so

Back