Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Must say I wanted Benning to get through to Cat B. I also wanted us to trade up our fourth rounders hoping that Hough or Warner would be available. In the end neither would’ve been available at the pick we could’ve got.

People may have got the message but I didn’t rate Williams at all. Not tall enough as a forward/ruck and not athletic enough to make up for it. Predicted he’d go the rookie draft yesterday and was almost right.

Having given our rookie pick some more thought there’s no obvious natural fit for Freo that won’t still be there to train with us for the SPP period. I reckon we’ll pass.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Guys like Acres, Wilson, Blakely, Brodie and possibly Tucker will see serious minutes at Peel next year. One would expect either Treacy or Amiss to play at Peel throughout the year as a target.

No reason why Peel can't take home the flag with our depth and competition for spots.

If Clark is going to play HB I can't see how Wilson gets a game next year? He'll need 2 or 3 injuries to break into the 22.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys like Acres, Wilson, Blakely, Brodie and possibly Tucker will see serious minutes at Peel next year. One would expect either Treacy or Amiss to play at Peel throughout the year as a target.

No reason why Peel can't take home the flag with our depth and competition for spots.
Brodie is unique and will get as many AFL midfield minutes as the other guys if he’s up to it.
We need that big body with elite vision and hands and Brodie is that guy for us.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think 15 out of 18 clubs got an A or above on that fingernail deep analysis

I wouldn’t have given WCE that - maybe a B+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They got lucky as they looked to be trying hard to not pick up Bazzo at one point. If he didn’t slide they would have missed an opportunity there

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think 15 out of 18 clubs got an A or above on that fingernail deep analysis

I wouldn’t have given WCE that - maybe a B+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any injuries to their midfield and they are cooked. Who are their contested ball players?
NN, Yeo, Shuey, Redden all have had injury, minute concerns.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
This may be an unpopular opinion on the Freo BF but West Coast did very well yesterday... still find it bizarre they overlooked Johnson though.

Not sure I'd give Richmond A+ tbh

If they'd picked Johnson instead of Chesser, you could argue they'd adressed most needs.
With Shepherd looking like he's retiring and Redden injured they would've covered mids and intercepting backs.
Clark is ok, but he's not going to be a world beater.

As it is, they have Redden, Yeo and Shuey who are 28 plus, Kelly at 27 and Sheed at 26...There's not a lot inside mid depth.
However, they could adress that in one draft next time I guess...
Couple more significant injuries and they could be looking at a top 6 pick

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is wrong with Chesser. Has speed and in area of need. Maybe they reached a little only time will tell but WC got themselves a F2 and pulled the trigger at 14 as there was some interest late 1st round.

As for their other picks Hough went around his range and we obviously preferred Benning to Williams. Bell said yesterday Benning has grown to 198cm and with his Athletic traits he is a ruck that can forward a bit.

The Eagles pick I did like was Bazzo. His range was very spread but he is a very good selection and the typeof player we could have selected if we traded 21 for two 2nd rounders. That Ablett commentator saying Bazzo was in his top 10 2-3 years ago, had about 25 players in his top 10 and these comments have Eagle supporters gloating about their greatest draft period in their history.

Every club did well post draft.

For me watching Erasmus play a PSA game had me wanting him right after Callaghan. So I’m happy.

As for the Rookie Draft and like the mid-season draft if the small number of players we’re interested in are gone then we’ll likely pass on a pickto be flexible for SSP.

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Today, I woke up with a fully charged phone (not gonna make the same mistake twice) and hopped om my couch with a good feeling in my gut. Did they trade pick 21? Did they pick up Johnson? Did they try to outsmart the rest of the comp and take a random "bolter"?

The thought of getting a cup of coffee quickly fleeted and I switched on my phone. AFL app opened and I see the headline "WA slider a Docker after a nervous wait"... I looked into the distance, quiet, calm, and composed on the outside. On the inside...

I clicked on the draft recap and saw that Belly and Co did the right thing. The smart move. The safe choice. A let out a sigh of relief.

Naturally, I went and made a cup of french roast coffee and proceeded to devour any and all videos of our new draftees.

After an hour of feasting, I sat back, filled to the brim with satisfaction on an amazing draft haul. Two forwards and two mids. All top WA talent.

Will all of the new draftees work out? History says probably not. But drafting is a crystal ball business and all you can do is take the best player available and hope luck and fortune are on your side. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're building something special and everyone knows it. We're trying to build a winning culture before we have on field success, which is incredibly difficult to do. But, you do it by drafting quality players who want to be at the club. You do it by coming out and saying publicly we're going to win premierships in the next 4 years. You do it by setting the bar high and raising expectations. Did you listen to what these new draftees are saying? What Serong is saying? What Brayshaw is saying? Everyone is buying in.

Freo is building.

Are you ready?

It's gonna be a fun ride. ;)

Mods, if I put this post in the wrong thread, you can move it. I wasn't sure if it belonged in the Positivity Thread.. :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

Love it! Entertaining read - thanks! :)

I am onboard - lets go!

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
The club, apparently has an eye on someone in the rookie draft.

I’m thinking we missed out on a small goal sneak, with Motlop not making it through.

I hear arguments of wait and have train on lists, but these are really for local talent.

If the goal sneak is a Victorian ( come of Wallsy, we know you have one hidden) then it makes sense to grab them in the rookie draft not the SPP.

The two players that jump out at me and say rookie.

Fejo
Harbour

With Harbour probably with a blond mullet in front!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
The club, apparently has an eye on someone in the rookie draft.

I’m thinking we missed out on a small goal sneak, with Motlop not making it through.

I hear arguments of wait and have train on lists, but these are really for local talent.

If the goal sneak is a Victorian ( come of Wallsy, we know you have one hidden) then it makes sense to grab them in the rookie draft not the SPP.

The two players that jump out at me and say rookie.

Fejo
Harbour

With Harbour probably with a blond mullet in front!
I agree. I think we will rookie someone for that goalsneak/smaller forward type role, the only area we didn't add cover for this period (considering behind the centre square is generally well covered for). Maybe this years' Treacy who is hidden in some backwater that noone else has noticed. Make me happy Walls.

There was talk of a Stephen Hill clone from the country potentially making it to the AFL.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm reluctant to knock WCs drafting. The last time this board did that they won a flag. History has proven they usually know what they're doing, and their draft looks good imo.

West Coast BF fans don't need any help knocking their draft. Their reactions to drafting Chesser and Hough were deplorable. They bucked up by Bazzo, but if the first two picks were ever read BF... 'look, it's not ideal.' 🤔😆

Back