Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting bit in the Twomey article was the offer of 15 and a future first for 10 from GWS if Gibcus was still on the board after Richmond's pick.

As much as I like Erasmus, I think you'd have to take that
Yep would of still got Johnson @ 15 (or Erasmus but i think Eags would of taken him) PLUS someone decent at 21 (or pick swaps) and a pick probably around 10-12 next year

Interesting bit in the Twomey article was the offer of 15 and a future first for 10 from GWS if Gibcus was still on the board after Richmond's pick.

15 could have been Johnson, and perhaps Goater with our next pick. But real prize would have been f1 I reckon.

Based on some reports, that scenario likely plays out as;
9 Richmond - Hobbs
10 GWS - Gibcus
11 St K - Wanganeen-Milera
12 WC- Erasmus (Don't risk the trade with Power)
13 Essendon - Sinn
14 Port - ???
15 Freo - Johnson/Van Rooyen

I reckon if Richmond choose Hobbs, we probably do the other trade Twomey raises, and trade 10 to St Kilda for 11 and a 2nd. They get Gibcus and we still get Erasmus.

Benning at 54 explained: https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/1036164/behind-the-draft-3-/

But the worst-case scenario could happen if Freo tried to walk Benning through as a Category B rookie.

In previous years, as what occurred with the likes of Leno Thomas and Isaiah Butters, Fremantle’s NGA nominees would automatically become Category B rookies if they went unselected at the National Draft.

But under these new rules, clubs with selections in the pre-season draft could take these players and there would be no opportunity for Freo to match with a bid.

Based on some reports, that scenario likely plays out as;
9 Richmond - Hobbs
10 GWS - Gibcus
11 St K - Wanganeen-Milera
12 WC- Erasmus (Don't risk the trade with Power)
13 Essendon - Sinn
14 Port - ???
15 Freo - Johnson/Van Rooyen

I reckon if Richmond choose Hobbs, we probably do the other trade Twomey raises, and trade 10 to St Kilda for 11 and a 2nd. They get Gibcus and we still get Erasmus.
Yes - this was the one that would have been a nice little bonus.
getting us the exact same players but with a second rounder from the Saints next year included

But under these new rules, clubs with selections in the pre-season draft could take these players and there would be no opportunity for Freo to match with a bid.
Well thats a bloody dumb rule, just give the club access to match the bid in the PSD too

Dumb rules for the sake of dumb rules at the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back