Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Neale would be 30 by about round ten of playing with us in 2023. You can see where we have added talent to the squad via trade in a very specific range Neale isn't in.

To give an idea, our current midfield stoppage group:

Mundy - 36 years 4 months
--
--
--
--
Fyfe - 30 years 2 months
--
-- (LACHIE NEALE WOULD ADD IN HERE)
--
--
--
Tucker - 24 years 10 months
--
Darcy - 23 years 5 months
-- (WILL BRODIE ADDED IN HERE)
Brayshaw - 22 years 0 months
--
-- (JORDAN CLARK ADDED IN HERE)
Serong - 20 years 9 months
--
Johnons, Erasmus - 18 years-ish

I wouldnt be opposed to Neale coming back next year, but crucially, at the right price. He’s a Brownlow medalist at the end of the day and would add valuable experience to a young team.

We expect to be pushing for flags from 2023-2025 and are you telling me Lachie Neale wouldnt be a valuable part of the side in that period?

Yeah it’s nice that we won the draft period and all the rest of it this week, but I want to seeus back winning big games and playing deep into big finals campaigns. I really
hope we won’t have another top 10 pick until the 2030s.
It’s easy to forget just how irrelevant we were at times this season just past. Anything that helps us become relevant, quicker, from here on, is good.

2023 Lachie Neale isn’t a brownlow medalist, he wouldn’t even be all Australian quality any more

If the afl don’t change the FA rules then wait till he is out of contract and be open to trading him in for the right price. We need to get away from trading in contracted players. We had a win with BHill and the Neale trade out but received fair to slight unders for Langdon and pCerra.

If Cerra was contracted would have been a 1st and 2nd and Langdon would have been a late first.

Out of contract Neale would fetch a late 1st or early second.

Sorry to intrude (again), just on the hypothetical Neale trade discussion. We wouldn’t want a 2022 first round pick. More likely a 2023 first round pick pick, plus a 2022 second round pick, with a 2023 second round pick going back your way.
Would you pay a first round pick and a second round pick for a 30 year old playing in one of the most attritional positions on the park with 220 AFL games already under his belt?

yeah didn’t think so

I think, in Neale’s favor he’s been pretty resilient over the journey and, more importantly, he doesn’t rely on pace or other athletic attributes that will fade with age. He’s just smart & makes great decisions. That’s not changing. What age did Diesel Williams play to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if Diesel would get a game nowadays? Such a jet.
Neale seemed pretty bashed up last season.

I had wondered about that, but they weren't listed in the afl.com.au article listing "every player" drafted:

Do they not need to actually use a token 6th or 7th round pick anymore?
They got rid of that, it's just a paperwork thing now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think, in Neale’s favor he’s been pretty resilient over the journey and, more importantly, he doesn’t rely on pace or other athletic attributes that will fade with age. He’s just smart & makes great decisions. That’s not changing. What age did Diesel Williams play to?

Joel Selwood has slowed just a touch and really seems to be struggling with the pace of the game to the point where he can be exploited.

Joel Selwood has slowed just a touch and really seems to be struggling with the pace of the game to the point where he can be exploited.

True but I think he relies a bit on being first to the ball so he can do his act to win frees when tackled.
Neale just sees the game better than most & has the knack of taking possession in space.
And Diesel would still dominate!

In any hypothetical discussion on Neale, we’re not looking to trade him, he’s asking to go back to WA.
We would need to make a preliminary final this year for it to make any sense.
Most pundits don’t expect a still developing freo to make the 8.
So, why would a developing side hand over a first round pick for a 220 game player?
Actually, on that point, has a player with that many games played ever been traded for that kind of price? In the last 10 or 12 years? I’m sure there’s examples in the early days when the draft was less valued than it is now.

I agree with this.

The problem for Brisbane is Neale is the exact opposite of the right player for Freo.
That’s fair enough.

I was just responding to some discussion that was on here already.

There is some speculation on our board, fuelled by an “in the know” poster, who dropped a little innuendo, without naming an actual player.

We would need to make a preliminary final this year for it to make any sense.
Most pundits don’t expect a still developing freo to make the 8.
So, why would a developing side hand over a first round pick for a 220 game player?
Actually, on that point, has a player with that many games played ever been traded for that kind of price? In the last 10 or 12 years? I’m sure there’s examples in the early days when the draft was less valued than it is now.
Dayne Beams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back