Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder where and with whom the four draftees will share houses with. The stories are often amusing.

Even tho Gus looks untidy, I expect he will be a neat freak. I doubt he will be sharing with Gould or boarding with Taylor.

Expect the Warner Bros to share.

I still believe that drafting out of high school is a stupid idea.

Disagree. The AFL would lose so many potential players if they all had to make a decision as to whether to go to a normal career or university over playing football every week with their clubs.

For players on the fringe it just would not make sense to continue the AFL dream at the expense of starting working.

Outside of one or two, that looks like a premiership nucleus to me
Yep, its good isn't it..
Been loving hitting the draft hard over the past few years. Maybe the trade ban and the impact of Buddys contract has had on our lack of ability to trade players in has been a blessing in disguise (would hate to be a Geelong supporter).
There were a couple of tough years, but now the draftees are coming of age, and there's heaps of them! and, every year there will be more.
I would love to see next years trade/draft period result in 2 x 1st round picks and 2-3 x Academy players. Nothing better than watching young crew develop

Hopefully, the relationship between thick juicy Angus and Roberts is ok after Angus tried to bury him here.

In all seriousness, I watched a heap of Angus this year and I loved that you guys picked him. No other club will develop him as good as you guys will, he'll be the perfect fit for your club and I think he could go on to become the best contested played in the competition.
He has real aggression, but he's never dirty and always plays the ball. He was mentored at Christchurch Grammar by Rob Wiley who is WA football royalty and he had huge wraps for him.

I also loved your Rankin pick, seen a bit of him this year and he's a gem in the draft. Beautiful skills and vision!!!

Twomey recapping the machinations involved in the First Round of the draft;

He suggests we (along with other clubs) were interested in GWS' pick 15 to snare Darcy Wilmot;
While the Giants were on the clock, Sydney rang about moving up from pick 18, while Melbourne had offered pick 19 and 39 for the selection and Brisbane was interested with 20 and a future second-round pick. It's likely all had the same idea in mind – snaring defender Darcy Wilmot – and even though the Lions had the next pick (where Wilmot was selected), by purchasing the Giants' selection it would have meant no other club could leapfrog them.

Hawthorn, too, had offered pick 23 and a future second-round pick for 15 but the Giants didn't budge,

GWS took Aleer at 15 and Brisbane selected Wilmot at 16.

Be interesting to know who else GWS thought was interested in Aleer to knock back the offers, as I would have thought there was a good chance he would still have been available at the later Round 1 picks.

Also sliding doors moment re Sheldrick (and indeed our other draftees).
If we had traded up it has been suggested Geelong would likely to have taken him with one of their picks at 24, 25 or indeed possibly even 32, before our next pick at 33 (assuming we still had it and it wasn't on offer for Wilmot).

If we had traded with GWS and taken Wilmot, the remainder of our draft may well have seen very different selections later on.

He suggests we (along with other clubs) were interested in GWS' pick 15 to snare Darcy Wilmot;

Be interesting to know who else GWS thought was interested in Aleer to knock back the offers, as I would have thought there was a good chance he would still have been available at the later Round 1 picks.

If we had traded up it has been suggested Geelong would likely to have taken him with one of their picks at 24, 25 or indeed possibly even 32, before our next pick at 33 (assuming we still had it and it wasn't on offer for Wilmot).

If we had traded with GWS and taken Wilmot, the remainder of our draft may well have seen very different selections later on.
I suspect once you get past the first obvious picks most drafts are like this. Every pick war gamed, including what we might do to get to a player we want. The thing is that when we get to our pick we are choosing the player we want who is available AT THAT PICK. Who we might have wanted earlier becomes irrelevant.

I really wanted Wilmot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if that is what made Dalrymple curl up in a ball (Kinnear's words) when the trade backwards for Ladhams went through
Chesser, Aleer, Brown and Wilmot fell in that gap. Bit disappointed about Chesser or Aleer but TBH I reckon we got the best contested mid in the draft, which is no bad thing. He'll do the Red and White proud.

The limited number of picks that we had made it more difficult for us to upgrade our 18 pick. As good as Wilmot may have been, it seems that we have got a ripper in Sheldrick. I knew nothing about him at all at the time of selection and was disappointed in the pick but I have come around now to believing it was a very wise selection.

The limited number of picks that we had made it more difficult for us to upgrade our 18 pick. As good as Wilmot may have been, it seems that we have got a ripper in Sheldrick. I knew nothing about him at all at the time of selection and was disappointed in the pick but I have come around now to believing it was a very wise selection.

I know some love Wilmot here but he's not the one I'd have bothered upgrading for.

Our issues can all be traced back to the now infamous Ryder non deal - “you can’t have everyone”. If we had drafted Ryder, we wouldn’t have suffered half a decade of problematic ruck performances, we would have kept AA (in his correct position) and probably kept our pick 14.

….
Or if Naismith had less injuries. Or if we managed to keep Nank over Naismith

I find it interesting we have drafted four players (Stephens, Gould, Curruthers, Roberts) in the past few years from the one school without, as far as I am aware, a whimper about it from the Swans media. The same school our CEO attended. Coincidence? Probably. But what are the odds?
Maybe the media team are waiting for any of them to do actually be any good.
It's going to look right stupid bias if none of them work out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back