List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty happy with the way our list has taken shape.

Good depth in the midfield - Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Ed C, Kennedy, Dow, Newnes, Cuningham (injured) plus the virtually untried Philp, Stocker (when/if he moves there) & Carroll.

Medium/small forwards are developing nicely - Martin, JSOS, Fish, Honey, Durdin, Owies & Motlop give us plenty of options.

Medium sized defenders are plentiful - Saad, Williams, Doc, Plow, Newman, Stocker, Kemp, Williamson, Boyd, Hewett (can play back if not on ball) and Marchbank.

• Need to target a tall forward or two, with only Harry, Charlie and Gov (who is now playing back) being current options.
  • Need to target a tall defender or two - the loss of Jones really hurts, with only Weiters as our lock as a KPD. Plow, McDonald, Young, McGovern, Parks, Akuei, Marchbank do not give me much confidence as the 2nd & 3rd KPD's.
  • Need to target another ruckman. Most teams have three ready-made rucks. We have TDK and Pitt. Mirkov is more of a long-term project.

As I see it, there are ten (10) players on their last chance - LOB, Setterfield, Cuningham, Marchbank, Cottrell, Fish, McDonald, Newnes and Williamson. It will be interesting to see who can stand up and take their chance. I'd say at least five of these players will be cut at the end of the year, when we are looking for the two KPF, two KPD and one ruckman.

There will no doubt be other trades etc where we top up in other areas.

Not too bad overall.

Playing list on club web has been gradually updated in the last few months however one player remains on the list…Liam Jones….someone enlighten me as to why!

Good depth in the midfield - Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Ed C, Kennedy, Dow, Newnes, Cuningham (injured) plus the virtually untried Philp, Stocker (when/if he moves there) & Carroll.

Medium/small forwards are developing nicely - Martin, JSOS, Fish, Honey, Durdin, Owies & Motlop give us plenty of options.

Medium sized defenders are plentiful - Saad, Williams, Doc, Plow, Newman, Stocker, Kemp, Williamson, Boyd, Hewett (can play back if not on ball) and Marchbank.

• Need to target a tall forward or two, with only Harry, Charlie and Gov (who is now playing back) being current options.
  • Need to target a tall defender or two - the loss of Jones really hurts, with only Weiters as our lock as a KPD. Plow, McDonald, Young, McGovern, Parks, Akuei, Marchbank do not give me much confidence as the 2nd & 3rd KPD's.
  • Need to target another ruckman. Most teams have three ready-made rucks. We have TDK and Pitt. Mirkov is more of a long-term project.

As I see it, there are ten (10) players on their last chance - LOB, Setterfield, Cuningham, Marchbank, Cottrell, Fish, McDonald, Newnes and Williamson. It will be interesting to see who can stand up and take their chance. I'd say at least five of these players will be cut at the end of the year, when we are looking for the two KPF, two KPD and one ruckman.

Not too bad overall.
Agree, need 1 developing KPF as Harry and Charlie are susceptible at best and one developed KPD - to promote competition with - or better -Young/McDonald.
I think our Rucks are ok - I would prefer to play just one.

Not too bad overall.

Good analysis.

Not sure of order of drafting as your list might be higher priority...but I think we need a fast inside/outside midfielder as everything right now relies on Dow who has just been relegated to the 2s. Our midfield group is not fast and I personally expect Cerra to get slower, not faster as he completes more preseasons. I think this needs to be done in the next draft for that player to contribute from year 3 which still helps our current window.

I also think our best defensive rebounders are Williams, Docherty and Saad - none of them young. If an opportunity arise I’d also look at a first rounder HBFer who can spend the next 2 years developing.

Playing list on club web has been gradually updated in the last few months however one player remains on the list…Liam Jones….someone enlighten me as to why!
Retired after list lodgement. Officially still on our list till the next lodgement date.

It should concern Voss and McStay, who can play both ends, a FA, would be a smart pickup
The issue is why would McStay come to Carlton to be a back up KPP when he will be guaranteed a game some place else.

Need to take the best KPP in the draft and the best state league forward. We should have been trialling players who can genuinely play KP rather than Cripps who is a mile off it and another 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is why would McStay come to Carlton to be a back up KPP when he will be guaranteed a game some place else.

Need to take the best KPP in the draft and the best state league forward. We should have been trialling players who can genuinely play KP rather than Cripps who is a mile off it and another 3rd tall.

If we take McStay, he plays day one, with Weitering. If H or Charlie are out, he swings forward. OMac & Young will fill holes if any of Weits, McStay, H, Charlie are out

McStay would also be our best 3rd tall option at either end, even if one of Omac or Young were still in the side with Weits, H, Charlie

If we take McStay, he plays day one, with Weitering. If H or Charlie are out, he swings forward. OMac & Young will fill holes if any of Weits, McStay, H, Charlie are out

McStay would also be our best 3rd tall option at either end, even if one of Omac or Young were still in the side with Weits, H, Charlie
McStay's an interesting one as he hasn't played back in 5 years and definitely prefers to be a forward. Had a really good last few games of last season, particularly when Hipwood got injured - he's good enough to be a number 2 key forward in quite a few weaker/developing teams, and a fantastic lead up/third tall for the upper part of the ladder. Would have kicked 30 if he hadn't missed the first month of the season (not so coincidentally we were 1-3 without him to start the year).

Don't think he'd be going somewhere to play back, as he will have interest as a forward if we low ball him. He'd be great at North for example to give another buffer to Larkey etc.

McStay's an interesting one as he hasn't played back in 5 years and definitely prefers to be a forward. Had a really good last few games of last season, particularly when Hipwood got injured - he's good enough to be a number 2 key forward in quite a few weaker/developing teams, and a fantastic lead up/third tall for the upper part of the ladder. Would have kicked 30 if he hadn't missed the first month of the season (not so coincidentally we were 1-3 without him to start the year).

Don't think he'd be going somewhere to play back, as he will have interest as a forward if we low ball him. He'd be great at North for example to give another buffer to Larkey etc.

I guess it could depend on whether he wants to go through another rebuild period or be part of finals

I’d say there’s quite a few players who need to be moved on unfortunately. Try trade them for what you can get and go again through the draft.

Matt Cottrell- Tough but not really up to the standard of AFL football.

Will Setterfield- Has an abundance of talent and has shown his ability as an inside Midfielder. With him battling Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett he may be the one to find a new home. Problem is he’s not as good as that trio.

Ed Curnow- Been a warrior but this should be his last season.

Jack Newnes- Been a decent pick up for Carlton, but his continued selection in the past has limited O’Brien’s development.

David Cunningham- Has a lot of talent but his body cannot function at the elite level. At 25 and with only 41 games to his name it’s time to move on.

Luke Parks- Very tough footballer, but isn’t up to the standard of AFL.

Caleb Marchbank- Another SOS high draft pick. Marchbank is talented but cannot get on the park. His continued spot on the list limits Carlton’s options.

Mitch McGovern- Has been shifted to defence in the off-season but it’s really a now or never situation. Has alot of talent and excellent hands but so far into his career it’s been wasted.

Zac Fisher- Has shown he’s the real deal at times, and should be continued with. Plays his best when he’s on ball, but his body again is a worry.

Lachlan Fogarty- Looked like a handy role player at Geelong for a scope to improve heavily. Showed glimpses, but his kicking is a worry. Behind the pecking order to play midfield.

Lochie O’Brien- I personally think he’s the best of the list I have mentioned. Is extremely soft but has a knack of finding the ball on the outside. Is a good kick and can rack it up. He’s similar to Jared Polec, which Carlton need. They need speed.

Paddy Dow- Has shown he’s capable at AFL level but still lacks the overall consistency. When he’s on fire he looks excellent, but his worst is shocking. He’s a very one dimensional player who can only play inside. Lacks the Gas tank to run out games as well. If he can’t crack it this year try get something of value while you can.

Oscar McDonald- Is a depth player who’s shown he can hold a key defensive pillar. Just turning 26, if he can keep his body healthy he could be vital to Carlton within the next few years. Is a good size at 196cm but be wary of his kicking under pressure.

Hope to see more from some of your young talent.

Kemp- Has huge upside and can play anywhere.

Carroll- Has speed and will be a good winger if developed properly.

Durdin- Tough as nails small forward which Carlton have lacked, tackles hard and can kick a goal.

Motlop- Another small forward with a scope to be elite. Is developing but hope to see him this season.

Philip- Was extremely keen on him during his draft year but he seems to have setback after setback. Has yet to find his feet at the level.

Honey- Really like the look of him. Has speed, can take a mark and can kick goals.

Hope to see more from some of your young talent.

Kemp- Has huge upside and can play anywhere.

Carroll- Has speed and will be a good winger if developed properly.

Durdin- Tough as nails small forward which Carlton have lacked, tackles hard and can kick a goal.

Motlop- Another small forward with a scope to be elite. Is developing but hope to see him this season.

Philip- Was extremely keen on him during his draft year but he seems to have setback after setback. Has yet to find his feet at the level.

Honey- Really like the look of him. Has speed, can take a mark and can kick goals.
Yes. This is where our improvement has to come from.

5 (of the 6) are playing this arvo, with only Durdin playing in the 1's (Kemp & Honey were talked up as being in top 22 until injured).

Looking forward to watching Motlop, Philp and particularly Carroll developing in the VFL in the early part of the season. I think all will play AFL at some stage this year, but it will mainly be a development year.

I’d say there’s quite a few players who need to be moved on unfortunately. Try trade them for what you can get and go again through the draft.

Matt Cottrell- Tough but not really up to the standard of AFL football.

Will Setterfield- Has an abundance of talent and has shown his ability as an inside Midfielder. With him battling Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett he may be the one to find a new home. Problem is he’s not as good as that trio.

Ed Curnow- Been a warrior but this should be his last season.

Jack Newnes- Been a decent pick up for Carlton, but his continued selection in the past has limited O’Brien’s development.

David Cunningham- Has a lot of talent but his body cannot function at the elite level. At 25 and with only 41 games to his name it’s time to move on.

Luke Parks- Very tough footballer, but isn’t up to the standard of AFL.

Caleb Marchbank- Another SOS high draft pick. Marchbank is talented but cannot get on the park. His continued spot on the list limits Carlton’s options.

Mitch McGovern- Has been shifted to defence in the off-season but it’s really a now or never situation. Has alot of talent and excellent hands but so far into his career it’s been wasted.

Zac Fisher- Has shown he’s the real deal at times, and should be continued with. Plays his best when he’s on ball, but his body again is a worry.

Lachlan Fogarty- Looked like a handy role player at Geelong for a scope to improve heavily. Showed glimpses, but his kicking is a worry. Behind the pecking order to play midfield.

Lochie O’Brien- I personally think he’s the best of the list I have mentioned. Is extremely soft but has a knack of finding the ball on the outside. Is a good kick and can rack it up. He’s similar to Jared Polec, which Carlton need. They need speed.

Paddy Dow- Has shown he’s capable at AFL level but still lacks the overall consistency. When he’s on fire he looks excellent, but his worst is shocking. He’s a very one dimensional player who can only play inside. Lacks the Gas tank to run out games as well. If he can’t crack it this year try get something of value while you can.

Oscar McDonald- Is a depth player who’s shown he can hold a key defensive pillar. Just turning 26, if he can keep his body healthy he could be vital to Carlton within the next few years. Is a good size at 196cm but be wary of his kicking under pressure.

Funny time of year to be making these calls.

Try again after Rd 22.

Stengle is very talented and has the football ability to make it as a top line small foward, Not sure how this kid went off the rails so fast at the crows as he was such a shy quite kid at Richmond whilst he was there.

Carlton are in the perfect position to make this call with Eddie Betts at the club and his opinion would go a long way as to making a call on stengle 'if that was considered'

Think Eddie would know exactly what the deal is with this boy
You were laughed at and proclaimed crazy for this one GUN but I remembered.

Unbelievable to see how unforgiving some of the supporters around here can be over some party drugs that probably over half the players in the comp do including our own.

For those who dismissed the idea of picking up this absolute gun of a kid over such a minor indiscretion... well you know who you are and you have about as much egg on your face as you can.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back