2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I believe that at some point in human history communities engaged with beings that they believed to be superhuman. In my view it would be far too much a coincidence that there are all these ancient and independent accounts of these 'gods' for the stories to have been manufactured. There is also common themes that repeat throughout these stories that tend to relate to teaching and human advancements. I don't believe in a creationist god or gods. But I do believe that ancient civilisations encountered people that they thought were gods.

I don't know what that makes me, maybe 50% agnostic, 50% theist, 50% atheist.

My favourite Ali G quote was when he asks what day Jesus was born and the priest responds with 25 December and Ali follows up with, "ain't that a coincidence that he was born on Xmas day?"

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I believe that at some point in human history communities engaged with beings that they believed to be superhuman. In my view it would be far too much a coincidence that there are all these ancient and independent accounts of these 'gods' for the stories to have been manufactured. There is also common themes that repeat throughout these stories that tend to relate to teaching and human advancements. I don't believe in a creationist god or gods. But I do believe that ancient civilisations encountered people that they thought were gods.

I don't know what that makes me, 50% agnostic, 50% theist, 50% atheist.

My favourite Ali G quote was when he asks what day Jesus was born and the priest responds with 25 December and Ali follows up with, "ain't that a coincidence that he was born on Xmas day?"

only tiny, tiny inexpert minds still think most Christians believe in literal god, devil, hell & heaven terms.

these are often incredibly smart people, some of the highest educated people going - and those I know describe hell as living with an absence of god in their hearts. They have no expectation of a gilded after life, just morons who still watch Saturday cartoons in adulthood

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

I don't know what that makes me, 50% agnostic, 50% theist, 50% atheist.

They were time travellers, not Gods.
giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I saw this dog act by a NFL High School player during a game, got me thinking if it happened in the AFL, how many weeks?

A multi year suspension? Life ban?

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades, Western United
I saw this dog act by a NFL High School player during a game, got me thinking if it happened in the AFL, how many weeks?

A multi year suspension? Life ban?

No AFL player would put themselves in that position these days. It would be career ending.

No AFL player would put themselves in that position these days. It would be career ending.
Players snap. s**t happens. If you told me this time last year that the 2020 GF would be played at the GABBA........

I could see a player losing his s**t after spending too much time in a hub.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Think you started that rumour ;)

Seriously though, think it was more a case of him being a FA and the usual tribe going "he's available, we should get him...and if we don't, then that's an excuse to hang sh*t on the club"
I think he was seen flying to Adelaide before people realized his girlfriend was here.
People put 1 & 1 together.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah, as far as I understand it, Rookie listing as a player. There may be some coaching aspect to it in the future...and god knows they need some coaching in that box

Thought there was an article somewhere which said him being SANFL marquee and development coach was on the cards for this year but then covid killed it.

Edit - found it

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
only tiny, tiny inexpert minds still think most Christians believe in literal god, devil, hell & heaven terms.

these are often incredibly smart people, some of the highest educated people going - and those I know describe hell as living with an absence of god in their hearts. They have no expectation of a gilded after life, just morons who still watch Saturday cartoons in adulthood
Then they aren't Christians are they. Walk into any church and take a straw poll, you ain't gettin many that say "I'm just here for the wine". If you are talking about people who like Christmas and Easter and don't covet their neighbour's wife ... that is getting a bit loose with the religious labels to get them onto the Christian team.

I'm not sure how being "smart" comes into the discussion ... Aristotle was no fool but he built God into his philosophies. Plenty of smart people in the world today believe in a gilded afterlife, some of these intelligent god-believing types even barrack for the Power (included reference to stay relevant to the thread).

Unless you want to get into a discussion on Unitarians, or maybe Christian Atheists?

I think I'll head back to my Sealab 2021 and wait for Thursday when we can all focus on the footy again :)

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Then they aren't Christians are they. Walk into any church and take a straw poll, you ain't gettin many that say "I'm just here for the wine". If you are talking about people who like Christmas and Easter and don't covet their neighbour's wife ... that is getting a bit loose with the religious labels to get them onto the Christian team.

I'm not sure how being "smart" comes into the discussion ... Aristotle was no fool but he built God into his philosophies. Plenty of smart people in the world today believe in a gilded afterlife, some of these intelligent god-believing types even barrack for the Power (included reference to stay relevant to the thread).

Unless you want to get into a discussion on Unitarians, or maybe Christian Atheists?

I think I'll head back to my Sealab 2021 and wait for Thursday when we can all focus on the footy again :)
Sanders is somewhat spot on.

The core business of Catholicism is not "God", it is real estate investment. Worship of God provides cash flow to fund RE investment.

This put the Catholic church among the largest non-government property owners, by value, in NSW and Australia, rivalling Westfield’s network of shopping centres and other assets. It dwarfs all other large property owners.

Like MacDonalds, real estate is the core business, burgers provides the cash flow to fund the RE investment.

Catholic Church has the added benefit of tax free status.

Both entities use community works/assitance to beef up their PR/Community Goodwill, at a fraction of the revenues they receive.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

sorry? Walk into church... on what basis do you make that call

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide

Good grief, what a load of cods wallop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back