NFL 2021 Off-season and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Washington waived RB Bryce Love.
Love, the 2017 Heisman runner-up and Doak Walker award winner as the nation’s top running back, tore his ACL in Stanford’s regular season finale in 2019 and has struggled to return to form ever since. Washington took a flyer on him in the fourth round that year but have yet to see him take the field following multiple setbacks. 24 in July, Love is facing long odds to make an active roster out of camp.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Apr 19, 2021, 2:30 PM ET

Seahawks LB Aldon Smith is wanted for second degree battery that allegedly occurred around New Orleans on April 17.
That date was only 48 hours after Smith signed a one-year deal with Seattle. The alleged incident occurred at the French Press Coffee House in Chalmette, Louisiana, where Smith has relatives at. It's a developing story that could quickly lead to the Seahawks cutting ties with him prior to the draft.
SOURCE: Travers Mackel on Twitter
Apr 19, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

Free agent QB Alex Smith retired.
The former No. 1 overall pick will call it quits after 16 seasons in the NFL -- seven years with the 49ers, five with the Chiefs, and three with Washington. Against all odds, Smith's recovery from a tragic 2018 leg injury culminated in 2020 with his emergence as the Football Team's starting QB. “Two years ago I was stuck in a wheelchair, staring down at my mangled leg, wondering if I would ever be able to go on a walk again or play with my kids in the yard,” Smith said in a recorded statement posted to Instagram. “On a routine play, I almost lost everything. But football wouldn’t let me give up. Because, no, this isn’t just a game. It’s not just what happens between those white lines on a Sunday afternoon. It’s about the challenges and the commitment they require. It’s about how hard and how far you can push yourself." Smith's best fantasy season came in 2017, when he eclipsed 4,000 yards for the only time in his career and threw 26 touchdowns to five interceptions for Kansas City. The streaming QB mainstay also ran for 355 yards and a score. Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer, who coached Smith at Utah, had tried to lure the veteran to Jacksonville as a mentor for incoming rookie Trevor Lawrence. With no shot at starting in 2021 and nothing left to prove following his horrific injury, Smith chose retirement.
RELATED:
SOURCE: NFL on Twitter
Apr 19, 2021, 11:49 AM ET

Free agent QB Alex Smith retired.
The former No. 1 overall pick will call it quits after 16 seasons in the NFL -- seven years with the 49ers, five with the Chiefs, and three with Washington. Against all odds, Smith's recovery from a tragic 2018 leg injury culminated in 2020 with his emergence as the Football Team's starting QB. “Two years ago I was stuck in a wheelchair, staring down at my mangled leg, wondering if I would ever be able to go on a walk again or play with my kids in the yard,” Smith said in a recorded statement posted to Instagram. “On a routine play, I almost lost everything. But football wouldn’t let me give up. Because, no, this isn’t just a game. It’s not just what happens between those white lines on a Sunday afternoon. It’s about the challenges and the commitment they require. It’s about how hard and how far you can push yourself." Smith's best fantasy season came in 2017, when he eclipsed 4,000 yards for the only time in his career and threw 26 touchdowns to five interceptions for Kansas City. The streaming QB mainstay also ran for 355 yards and a score. Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer, who coached Smith at Utah, had tried to lure the veteran to Jacksonville as a mentor for incoming rookie Trevor Lawrence. With no shot at starting in 2021 and nothing left to prove following his horrific injury, Smith chose retirement.
RELATED:
SOURCE: NFL on Twitter
Apr 19, 2021, 11:49 AM ET

Smart, there was no fairy tale ending happening here.

Happy for Smith. I struggled to watch him last season because of the risks. The E:60 special was something i will never forget.

I just hope the love for his family will be strong enough to prevent him from picking up the phone when someone calls in Oct/Nov. because that seems to be something many players struggle with when they retire. He deserves to be able to play with his kids.

There have only been 4 coaches named Matt in NFL history, and all of them coached at the same time.
renderTimingPixel.png

Matt Patricia, Matt Nagy, Matt Rhule, and Matt LaFleur all coached at the same time.

NBC Sports' Peter King reports changes to the NFL's overtime rules probably won't pass.
The so-called spot-and-choose proposal -- in which one team picks the spot of the ball to start overtime and their opponent chooses whether to play offense or defense -- is likely dead on arrival when it goes before league owners this spring. "Spot and choose" would deemphasize the importance of the overtime coin toss. King said the proposal -- pushed by Ravens head coach Jim Harbaugh -- is "too revolutionary for a staid league to accept after a month or so of consideration." The Ravens would need 23 teams to join them to implement the OT rule change. Look for Harbaugh and other "spot and choose" proponents to continue pushing the rule change in 2022. Replacing onside kicks with a fourth and 15 is also likely to fail this spring, King reports.
SOURCE: FMIA
Apr 20, 2021, 10:56 AM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TE Jordan Reed retired.
Reed, selected by Washington in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft, was among the league's preeminent pass-catching tight ends before a frightening string of concussions hamstrung his career; he missed 53 games over his eight NFL seasons. He was fantasy football's No. 3 tight end in 2015 when he caught 87 of 114 targets for 952 yards and 11 touchdowns, and was a serviceable spot starter for the 49ers in 2020 when George Kittle was sidelined. Reed heads into retirement at the tender age of 30.
RELATED:
Apr 20, 2021, 8:03 AM ET

TE Jordan Reed retired.
Reed, selected by Washington in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft, was among the league's preeminent pass-catching tight ends before a frightening string of concussions hamstrung his career; he missed 53 games over his eight NFL seasons. He was fantasy football's No. 3 tight end in 2015 when he caught 87 of 114 targets for 952 yards and 11 touchdowns, and was a serviceable spot starter for the 49ers in 2020 when George Kittle was sidelined. Reed heads into retirement at the tender age of 30.
RELATED:
Apr 20, 2021, 8:03 AM ET

Interesting topic on reddit, comments section full of interesting what ifs across various teams/years...

Feel as tho Atlanta would have the most what it's in NFL history. 😂

Obviously for the Panthers it's what if Kasey didn't put the kick off OOB leading to the Vinatari game winning FG in SB 38

Remove this Banner Ad

Back