VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we sure the role that Lonie played in the VFL is the same as what Butler is playing in the AFL side, currently?

Lonie’s stats read like he played relatively within the forward 50, whereas Butler plays more of a higher half forward role. Whilst Butler hasn’t been kicking many goals himself, we have to consider what his pace and pressure brings to the ball movement side of the game. Butler is regularly involved in link up play that leads to forward 50 entries (+/- goals), and I don’t feel as though Lonie has the speed to replace this part of Butler’s game.

Are we sure the role that Lonie played in the VFL is the same as what Butler is playing in the AFL side, currently?

Lonie’s stats read like he played relatively within the forward 50, whereas Butler plays more of a higher half forward role. Whilst Butler hasn’t been kicking many goals himself, we have to consider what his pace and pressure brings to the ball movement side of the game. Butler is regularly involved in link up play that leads to forward 50 entries (+/- goals), and I don’t feel as though Lonie has the speed to replace this part of Butler’s game.
Joffaboy would be able to tell us more, but I'd be surprised if he got 22 disposals playing that deep forward role.

He usually plays fairly high up the ground in the VFL.

He doesn't have the speed to play the exact same role as Butler, who likes to push up high and run back into the space to get his kicks, but then again, that style that worked so well last year doesn't seem to be working near as well this year.

Even last year all our small in Kent, Butler, Lonie and Hind got most of their possessions up the ground and played fairly similar roles.

We don't seem to go with the stay at home small forward such as Papley and Cameron etc

Butler had the most pressure acts in the side:

24: Butler
23: Steele
17: Crouch, Kent
16: Dunstan
14: McKenzie

He's in the side for pressure and goals. He hasn't been kicking goals so he's been staying in for his pressure. If that's what they're picking him for then I can't see them dropping him when he has the most pressure acts.

He's in the side for pressure and goals. He hasn't been kicking goals so he's been staying in for his pressure. If that's what they're picking him for then I can't see them dropping him when he has the most pressure acts.
Makes Steelse game look even better. He really did do it all on the night.

Agree on Butler, he'd love to be kicking more goals but he's clearly the best pressure forward we have.

Except Lonie plays further up the ground than Butler when playing AFL and gets more of the ball generally.

We're heading into Mav Weller territory with the creative selection justification.

992000-11376-2021.png

992374-11376-2021.png

Gave a way a few silly frees, and got outplayed in a few contests a bit too easy. We need our flankers getting on the scoreboard, not just putting pressure on.

So you think Lonie can turn it around and be a regular in the Ones ?
It might be unlikely, but we are also living in a world where Dunstan is performing on par with the elite inside mids of the competition, Mason Wood has been performing consistently and D Mac is an important part of the AFL side.

He might not get the opportunity, but Lonie has played very good patches of AFL football before. No reason he couldn't do it again like those listed above have.

It might be unlikely, but we are also living in a world where Dunstan is performing on par with the elite inside mids of the competition, Mason Wood has been performing consistently and D Mac is an important part of the AFL side.

He might not get the opportunity, but Lonie has played very good patches of AFL football before. No reason he couldn't do it again like those listed above have.
All the ones you mentioned have got at least one thing going for them , Lonie ,,,, slow , not good over head , cant kick more than about 40-45 mtrs , doesn't stick tackles , Lonie was only in the side when we were garbage , Its players like him that we have to move past

All the ones you mentioned have got at least one thing going for them , Lonie ,,,, slow , not good over head , cant kick more than about 40-45 mtrs , doesn't stick tackles , Lonie was only in the side when we were garbage , Its players like him that we have to move past
Lonie played very well in the back end of last year and was keeping guys like Hind, Kent and Parker out of the side. He is a good player and if nothing else he is great depth. Not many can have games like he just did in the VFL.

I think he gets unfairly maligned, seems to cop it all the time when we're losing for being selfish, but has played some good footy for us over the years. I hope we keep him on the list as depth, we could do a lot worse.

I really don't get why people feel the need to rule a line through a player like that, the hatred is pretty weird tbh. Even when he's absolutely blitzing at Sandy people want to shit cann him.

Lonie may be on the fringe of our best side, but he played a pretty good hand in our only final win in a decade… kicked a nice goal, set up two more.

Lonie played very well in the back end of last year and was keeping guys like Hind, Kent and Parker out of the side. He is a good player and if nothing else he is great depth. Not many can have games like he just did in the VFL.

I think he gets unfairly maligned, seems to cop it all the time when we're losing for being selfish, but has played some good footy for us over the years. I hope we keep him on the list as depth, we could do a lot worse.
I have never said he is selfish , i just think he is no good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And 6 weeks ago, the list about why Dunstan should never step on an AFL field again was just as long.

I don't think you can argue we were garbage last year when he played and I think you could have quite easily pointed out Dunstan's and DMacs weakness's 6 months ago and made the same argument.

I really don't get why people feel the need to rule a line through a player like that, the hatred is pretty weird tbh. Even when he's absolutely blitzing at Sandy people want to sh*t cann him.

Lonie may be on the fringe of our best side, but he played a pretty good hand in our only final win in a decade… kicked a nice goal, set up two more.
Who said anything about hating him , talk about exaggeration , i just don't rate him as a player and never have

I really don't get why people feel the need to rule a line through a player like that, the hatred is pretty weird tbh. Even when he's absolutely blitzing at Sandy people want to sh*t cann him.

Exactly. He can clearly play at the top level. There is plenty of games showing that he is AFL standard. But he just hasn't been consistent enough this year to cement his spot.

I don't think you can argue we were garbage last year when he played and I think you could have quite easily pointed out Dunstan's and DMacs weakness's 6 months ago and made the same argument.
Yes your most likely right we could point out weaknesses in those two but you could still also find at least one good trait they have , Lonie not so

Yes your most likely right we could point out weaknesses in those two but you could still also find at least one good trait they have , Lonie not so
You don't play any AFL games if you have no good traits, the fact you are even suggesting this says everything about you capacity to assess the player without prejudice.

You don't play any AFL games if you have no good traits, the fact you are even suggesting this says everything about you capacity to assess the player without prejudice.
I think i have a pretty good understanding of talent , he was getting games because he was in our best 22, now with players coming in he has been pushed out and IMO he wont be getting back in ATM and with more player to come back in its going to be even harder for him to get and keep a spot

Joffaboy would be able to tell us more, but I'd be surprised if he got 22 disposals playing that deep forward role.

He usually plays fairly high up the ground in the VFL.

He doesn't have the speed to play the exact same role as Butler, who likes to push up high and run back into the space to get his kicks, but then again, that style that worked so well last year doesn't seem to be working near as well this year.

Even last year all our small in Kent, Butler, Lonie and Hind got most of their possessions up the ground and played fairly similar roles.

We don't seem to go with the stay at home small forward such as Papley and Cameron etc
Lonie is too slow to play high hf forward also Butler quicker and has more impact at a stoppage or in broken play.
Too short to play as a small marking forward target as Higgins is better there.
He can milk a free and get under the skin of the opposition. Dunstan does that and touches the ball 25 times a game.
He cannot nail a tackle like Ben Long now does as a defensive forward.
He can kick better than DMac but is slower cannot run all day up and down the ground and stop oppositions good player he is also not as gooder mark and not as physical.

If Hannebery gets fit he is just further down the pecking order and prefer Kent over him as well.

I am sure that no coach at AFL level goes to bed at night thinking about how to stop Lonie. But I bet they think about how to exploit his deficiencies.

His days sadly are numbered at Saints.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back