VFL 2023 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a smart and great initiative. This should dramatically improve the Sandy players, and with better players and training with the saints we should be able to play the same system at Sandy as the saints.
More quality people, means better culture which breeds better standards and more coaching opportunities.

Think, if Keeler is on the lead and the midfield keeps missing there kicks, then he gets less opportunities to be coached on his technique. All makes sense to me.

I think this is a smart and great initiative. This should dramatically improve the Sandy players, and with better players and training with the saints we should be able to play the same system at Sandy as the saints.
More quality people, means better culture which breeds better standards and more coaching opportunities.

Think, if Keeler is on the lead and the midfield keeps missing there kicks, then he gets less opportunities to be coached on his technique. All makes sense to me.
It’s only smart if they hire a top quality recruitment manager for this job.

Realistically kids that are good enough are in the TAC pathways.

Your looking at those who may have missed the boat via junior pathways and earning good money playing country football.

Not a heap of afl level talent at the right age. Kicking the ball at suburban football in Melbourne.

Potentially interstate.

But ultimately the offer is.

Back yourself to take an opportunity if good enough vs Money you’re are guaranteed to make in country football or the cost to relocate.

And seeing as this opportunity is also going to be countered by the stkilda listed players getting position preference on the field.

It’s a huge gamble for someone.

Really interested in how this plays out. As it’s almost like that afl tv show. “The recruit” happening solely at the zebras every year.

If you look at our list and what it would look like at Sandy next year.

there is a huge need for key backs and gun smaller forwards.

But there would be little opportunity as a gun key forward.

Not a huge opportunity as a ruck either.

1 position mids would probably have to learn to play the flanks too.

Gee it’s an interesting tactic.

If you believe you are good enough. It’s a huge platform for you.

If the club & Sandy fail to attract anyone, your looking at Kai Owens in 12 months time
I might be optimistic but I can’t see the club failing to attract anyone. There would be a lot of guys like Wilkie and Hayes who would jump at an opportunity like this. Not to mention all of the kids who don’t get taken in the draft.
I can’t see how we lose out of this. Worst case scenario is we rookie list someone for 12 months and then cut them after a year.

I might be optimistic but I can’t see the club failing to attract anyone. There would be a lot of guys like Wilkie and Hayes who would jump at an opportunity like this. Not to mention all of the kids who don’t get taken in the draft.
I can’t see how we lose out of this. Worst case scenario is we rookie list someone for 12 months and then cut them after a year.

Worst case is pretty good.
Compared to what a lot of kids earn, a year as a professional footballer, even a rookie is good.

At first wasn't overly thrilled about this. We all know how shocking this alignment has been. Maybe its the thing that turns it around? The rookie draft agreement could see some of the better SFL, Bayside area VAFA, overage Dragons players all strive to get onto the Zebras list.

Whats the harm in having the best local talent all fight for a St Kilda list position rather than constantly rejecting the VFL in order to earn local football money?

Worse case scenario is we draft the best Zebras player and after a year, he gets delisted. Hardly a burden on the Saints.

The best way to impress is on exposed form, both on game day and training.
It is a bit like the NFL open try out. There is a great doco on Netflix about the scabs of the Redskins beating the much vaunted full strength Cowboys.
A number were signed on by the Redskins and had good professional careers.

So training with the Saints and getting a chance to impress will be too much of an enticement for some not to take the chance.

The easiest dog to train is a hungry dog...I am sure it may well work for footballers.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s sounds good.

But the quality of recruitment is what’s going to make this worthwhile.

What Sandy has right now is dire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a smart plan, won't necessarily work but comes with very low cost so it's definitely worth a shot.

I agree.

The plus is hopefully that we make Sandi better which then hopefully helps develop our current players, who are not in the first 23, improve by playing with better players and in a more competitive tea. So less of a jump up in standard to the first as well.

The downside is that we will have no more drafting rights (whether it be for a rookie spot or main list spot) for any Sandi listed player than any other AFL club.

So if we get a really good player, we only have a 1 in 18 chance of getting them.

The other downside is if we end up with only duds that we still have to take a player who is not up to it. As there may only be so 10 or so players to choose from that could certainly happen.

Overall worth a whirl to see what happens.

I agree.

The plus is hopefully that we make Sandi better which then hopefully helps develop our current players, who are not in the first 23, improve by playing with better players and in a more competitive tea. So less of a jump up in standard to the first as well.

The downside is that we will have no more drafting rights (whether it be for a rookie spot or main list spot) for any Sandi listed player than any other AFL club.

So if we get a really good player, we only have a 1 in 18 chance of getting them.

The other downside is if we end up with only duds that we still have to take a player who is not up to it. As there may only be so 10 or so players to choose from that could certainly happen.

Overall worth a whirl to see what happens.
Well I suppose if we take them in the mid season draft then the odds are better.

The last time Sandringham had a player drafted was Mitch Brown in 2015 and he'd already played AFL before. The last Sandy player drafted with no AFL experience was James Magner in 2011. I don't think we're in any danger of losing an absolute superstar to another club in the rookie draft.

The last time Sandringham had a player drafted was Mitch Brown in 2015 and he'd already played AFL before. The last Sandy player drafted with no AFL experience was James Magner in 2011. I don't think we're in any danger of losing an absolute superstar to another club in the rookie draft.

Haydyn McLean 2019 SSP Recruit who is still at the Swans.

Hayden McLean??

Hayden McLean??
Haydyn McLean 2019 SSP Recruit who is still at the Swans.
SSP is a different situation though. He had the chance to be drafted by every club, got overlooked, Sydney sought him out based on pre-season needs. Shame we didn't recognise him, would've been perfect for the club.

My main point was Sandringham players getting drafted is rare so I don't think anyone needs to worry about losing an absolute gun in the draft to another club.

SSP is a different situation though. He had the chance to be drafted by every club, got overlooked, Sydney sought him out based on pre-season needs. Shame we didn't recognise him, would've been perfect for the club.

My main point was Sandringham players getting drafted is rare so I don't think anyone needs to worry about losing an absolute gun in the draft to another club.

I guess the point is that we're hoping this possibility pulls in some of the better prospects looking for a chance at a run. Maybe your Lachie Schultz or Mick Gibbons types that Williamstown attracts.

Well if it works and we actually get an absolute gun at Sandy, then the overwhelming odds would be that that absolute gun will be drafted by another club.

We would have a better chance of actually get players onto our list who just look likely, if the scheme works. ie Rookies.

Great to finally see Tomoya Owens and Tyson Milne in the mighty red, white & black 👍🏻

Hang on a minute 😳

GBeVzvJ.jpg

ing]

Gee it’s an interesting tactic.

If you believe you are good enough. It’s a huge platform for you.

If the club & Sandy fail to attract anyone, your looking at Kai Owens in 12 months time
Will Sandy actually have any players left?
That’s a concern…Tomoya was only at Sandringham for one season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back