2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a point to get the thread talking...

Notably there is a shortage of umpires and with that club umpires have been called up to fill in.. so my question is..

where does this leave the Barton Medal voting? Surely with some of these games there could be a conflict of interest to who gets votes..
The lower positioned teams are more likely to have club umpires, if a Barton medalist come from a bottom 4 side would this be a big issue?

Notably there is a shortage of umpires and with that club umpires have been called up to fill in.. so my question is..

where does this leave the Barton Medal voting? Surely with some of these games there could be a conflict of interest to who gets votes..
The lower positioned teams are more likely to have club umpires, if a Barton medalist come from a bottom 4 side would this be a big issue?
Has any clubs had to supply home umpires in any senior games as yet.

I don't think it would, has both umpires still need to come to a decision about their best on

Who cares about the voting, the problem is when games are ruined and results impacted by inept umpires; no point hurling abuse their way either. I’ve rarely seen a good club umpire, they either sway too far for their home team or go in the other direction and feel like they can’t pay their club a free. The incentive to umpire needs to be better, weather it’s more cash or some other perk like free gym memberships or vouchers from local businesses etc.

umpiring is pretty bad but we have to except what they are trying to do because with out them we wouldnt have footy.

The Bordermail don't seem to report on how umpire numbers are & also their injuries. They have had 12 months out of the game also & as we are seeing, a few clubs can get hit with the injury stick, how are the umps fairing? As far as club umpires go in the TDFL we have some long & loyal servants with not many coming up to fill the void. The old guys will not be there forever.....

So what happens with the missed games? Does the fixture get pushed back, one week or do we just miss these games. Seems a bit unfair with the fixture if they just skip this week. And on umpires, incentives need to be increased. Umpires should be paid heaps more, and the clubs should foot the bill.

So what happens with the missed games? Does the fixture get pushed back, one week or do we just miss these games. Seems a bit unfair with the fixture if they just skip this week. And on umpires, incentives need to be increased. Umpires should be paid heaps more, and the clubs should foot the bill.
There won't be missed games unless lockdown is extended. They will push this round back & absorb the remaining bye, then push the following week extending the season. Just like cricket did. Totally agree on umpires.

What are umpires actually paid per game? I'm thinking $100 per game? Double that, with the clubs making up the difference and you'd have a fair incentive for a lot of retired players. I'd half consider it for that much! Easier than getting crunched by 20 year olds

Any thoughts on when we'll get on the ground? Season in serious trouble once again. Minimum number of games to have a finals series? 11?

Surely they play this weekend, but if they can’t in Vic Any thoughts of every game being played in NSW?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wise move by the league, not worth it with those restrictions. Can't see it changing significantly for at least a few weeks either. Surely a game of footy, with people either outside or in their cars would be fine for at least 500 in regional areas
What about senior players now wanting clearances to nsw leagues? Some been pressing for a couple of weeks. Contracted players might be stuck, but others? Could leave teams short once play resumes, knock on effect....?

Any chance of play this weekend?
Coaches want to by last weeks paper, are the league going to explore their options?

Any chance of play this weekend?
Coaches want to by last weeks paper, are the league going to explore their options?
They won't if the rules remain the same with crowd numbers. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to try the O&M tactic and play games in NSW as there probably wouldn't be enough grounds available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back