News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew McLeod-Allison reveals reason behind draft’s moment of confusion
There was a moment of confusion as St Kilda drafted Matthew McLeod-Allison but the exciting key forward has revealed the touching reason behind it.
Ben Higgins

When AFL CEO Gill McLachlan read out Matthew McLeod-Allison on Wednesday night it had even veteran draft expert Kevin Sheehan momentarily confused.

As it turns out it is St Kilda’s top draft pick’s legal name but also his way of honouring the contributions his mother and father had made on his path to the AFL.

Having played for Calder Cannons as Matthew Allison, the 18-year-old from Strathmore added the McLeod – his mother’s maiden name – on his draft entry form.

“It threw a lot of people of but it is my legal name, mum’s McLeod and dad’s Allison.” the Calder Cannons youngster said after being unveiled with his fellow Victorian first-round picks.

“It’s great to share both their last names and recognise everything they’ve given to me and helped to get where I am.”

McLeod-Allison’s father, Brian, is a legend at VFL club Coburg and a member of the Lions’ Team of the Century, while mum, Sharon, was a talented sportswoman in her own right.

The exciting 195cm forward was the last pick in the first round after the Saints using pick No.26.

His raw athleticism – clocking a 6.17 2km time trial and sub-three second 20m sprint at last month’s Vic Metro Combine – was enough for the St Kilda to pounce and add him to the mix with Max King and Tim Membrey up forward.

McLeod-Allison is Calder’s first first-round draftee since Paul Ahern, Peter Wright and Jake Lever were all selected in 2014.

Watching the draft at home with his family, he had an inkling he was about to become a Saint when his phone started blowing up as the pick was about to be announced.

A deluge of texts from his new teammates quickly followed and a call from coach Brett Ratten and skipper Jarryn Geary.

He’ll report to Moorabbin for his first training session on Monday and is itching to make a strong start to football life.

“It’s an absolute dream come true, I’m still in shock to be honest,” he said.

“I did speak to (St Kilda) but I wasn’t going into the night with too many expectations.

“From a Victorian point of view there weren’t too many guarantees, particularly on my behalf, so I was hoping they’d be sniffing around and I’m so grateful they read my name out.

“I don’t think it matters where you go it’s what you do when you get to the club, at the end of the day it’s just a number, so I’m just going to work hard and earn the respect of my teammates.”

McLeod-Allison also paid tribute to Calder coach Ross Smith and former talent manager Tom Lonergan and was thrilled to see teammates Josh Eyre and Cody Brand end up at Essendon.

“I spoke to Tommy just before and he congratulated me and I spoke to Ross last night,” he said.

“I can’t speak highly enough of those two, they’ve been huge for my development and big influences on my footy.

“I’m rapt for Josh and Cody to see the effort they’ve put in and get rewarded for it.”

St Kilda added South Adelaide defender Tom Highmore with pick No.47.

Holy heck, Highmore sounds as well spoken as anyone on our list, perhaps in the whole AFL. Sounds like he could be leadership quality. I wonder what his game looks like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have known...best mates with Jack Steele.

This stuff is not News. Players pumping up themselves or their teammates is just Membership Drive stuff and should never be seen outside a Club website. Too many people treat it as objective reporting

Lol yea, even a club like Adelaide or Norf are going to talk about how the club is buzzing and the new players are training the house down and they’re all ready for a big year.

This stuff is not News. Players pumping up themselves or their teammates is just Membership Drive stuff and should never be seen outside a Club website. Too many people treat it as objective reporting

How do you get non members get excited & to sign up if they don’t visit the club website?

Coverage like this is gold... and is something that the move back to Moorabbin has provided (no media ever wanted to drive fo Seaford for a good news story... scandals maybe).

Reckon you need to light up mate, some positive Saints reporting, whether its a fluff piece or not, is a welcome break from what we’ve copped over the past decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlton are saying Charlie Curnrow will not be ready until mid season next year , that would be totally deflating for the club.
I rate this guy but the way it's going he might not ever show his full potential.

Carlton are saying Charlie Curnrow will not be ready until mid season next year , that would be totally deflating for the club.
I rate this guy but the way it's going he might not ever show his full potential.

rumours were his knee is really really bad. career threatening type of bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back