Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be a bit sad if the GWS Academy prospects from Canberra were to be picked up by Sydney. GWS needs to bring in talent and GWS have been doing good work in Canberra for both Boys and Girls Academies.
It is where they should move. There isn't enough talent to fill two teams in the city of Sydney. You move to Canberra it give's you closer access to the borderlands and helps build an even more solid relationship with the Murray Bushrangers. With this move, you make create a draft zone that is more appealing to players in south NSW and the ACT. Metaphorically speaking.

ha ha looks like i did, because i had Paige Scott going to Western Bulldogs at pick 20, given that's what GWS will hand over for Huntington

Taylor is a all rounder, with McWilliams going their way, i had them looking at her, probably a toss of the coin between the 2 as the Blues lost Mid & fwd players & Bulldogs lost a heap of fwd's
Carlton could pick up Bridie Hipwell with their next pick. As for Huntington, I don't think there is enough talent in the picks that GWS have to make the Dogs budge. Granted, she can throw herself into the draft, but Sydney could easily take her. GWS is not a destination club. I have a feeling this might be the trade that doesn't get done.

Carlton could pick up Bridie Hipwell with their next pick. As for Huntington, I don't think there is enough talent in the picks that GWS have to make the Dogs budge. Granted, she can throw herself into the draft, but Sydney could easily take her. GWS is not a destination club. I have a feeling this might be the trade that doesn't get done.

well i'd call the Bulldogs crazy in that instance, GWS has only got pick 20 & 29 in the 1st Rd
first 13 picks can't be traded, Huntington on her 3rd ACL, won't be playing for nearly 2 years
Doggies can't get what can't be given

yeah i've got Hannah Ewings, Sarah Goodwin, Yasmin Duursma & Amelie Borg all going to Port
pick 31 or 34 will go to the trade for Surman (GC)

Port NGA pre-selections
Keeley Kustermann
Sachi Syme
Lana Schwerdt
For the Port NGA pre-selections Lana Schwerdt might be wooed to Crows as F/D. Even though they are shocking at F/S and NGA. Port NGA maybe Ella Little.

For the Port NGA pre-selections Lana Schwerdt might be wooed to Crows as F/D. Even though they are shocking at F/S and NGA. Port NGA maybe Ella Little.

yeah that's what i thought going to Crow's, Ella Little given Port will max out on the 3 NGA's i've posted
maybe with pick they get for Nikki Gore, say pick 40, they'll use on Jemma Ellis, Ella Boag or Kiera Mueller

It is where they should move. There isn't enough talent to fill two teams in the city of Sydney. You move to Canberra it give's you closer access to the borderlands and helps build an even more solid relationship with the Murray Bushrangers. With this move, you make create a draft zone that is more appealing to players in south NSW and the ACT. Metaphorically speaking.

Sydney wouldn't do too badly if they wooed, Tayissa Gray, Madison Gray & Grace Hay, over to the NSW region, they're all Murray bushie players

Sydney wouldn't do too badly if they wooed, Tayissa Gray, Madison Gray & Grace Hay, over to the NSW region, they're all Murray bushie players
Given what the NSW pool holds they'd benefit from enticing any of the later choice SA/WA/VIC girls, after the Cynthia there's a fair drop to Zara and Dakota Mason, then an even bigger one to the next rung. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see both Swans and GWS leave a couple of list spots open in order to bring in some undrafted talent from elsewhere

Given what the NSW pool holds they'd benefit from enticing any of the later choice SA/WA/VIC girls, after the Cynthia there's a fair drop to Zara and Dakota Mason, then an even bigger one to the next rung. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see both Swans and GWS leave a couple of list spots open in order to bring in some undrafted talent from elsewhere
The draft picks Sydney have, aren't worth their number. It might be the first time ever, that a team passes on their picks in the first round.

yes PMBangers that's my view as well, entice a few maybe's from other states
as it looks now in NSW pool, it's very ugly for Swans & GWS

are you doing a phantom draft ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are you doing a phantom draft ?
I am depressed enough without that thank you very much

although I believe RookieMe Central will be doing one on podcast again, if Pie 4 Life is feeling generous

I am depressed enough without that thank you very much

although I believe RookieMe Central will be doing one on podcast again, if Pie 4 Life is feeling generous
Yeah we'll do something for sure. Vic is always a crap shoot, the others a bit easier.

well i'd call the Bulldogs crazy in that instance, GWS has only got pick 20 & 29 in the 1st Rd
first 13 picks can't be traded, Huntington on her 3rd ACL, won't be playing for nearly 2 years
Doggies can't get what can't be given
The Dogs have to get that one done. By my count, they've got 24 returning players from the 32 they had listed last year. They've got holes all over the field as a result. They should be getting multiple usable picks from GWS in that deal. I have no idea how many, but you'd think it'd be at least two of 20, 29 and 37 and possibly all three.

The Dogs have to get that one done. By my count, they've got 24 returning players from the 32 they had listed last year. They've got holes all over the field as a result. They should be getting multiple usable picks from GWS in that deal. I have no idea how many, but you'd think it'd be at least two of 20, 29 and 37 and possibly all three.

yeah Vacuous Space i'm thinking the same, Dog's lost their whole fwd line in Toogood, Lockland & Huntington

GWS picks 20 & 29 at the bare minimum with maybe 37 in some shape or form
Swans only have 5 spots open & 5 real early picks, way before GWS 1st pick
so it won't affect their draft hand at all, they can pick players at their leisure

given what happened with the Dog's & the Kim Rennie non trade, i'd say they'll take whatever they can and move on
Huntington won't be playing this coming season, move is work related, sustained 3rd ACL, so these factors will have to be taken into account

yeah Vacuous Space i'm thinking the same, Dog's lost their whole fwd line in Toogood, Lockland & Huntington

GWS picks 20 & 29 at the bare minimum with maybe 37 in some shape or form
Swans only have 5 spots open & 5 real early picks, way before GWS 1st pick
so it won't affect their draft hand at all, they can pick players at their leisure

given what happened with the Dog's & the Kim Rennie non trade, i'd say they'll take whatever they can and move on
Huntington won't be playing this coming season, move is work related, sustained 3rd ACL, so these factors will have to be taken into account
The North board was saying the Dogs were trying to get Daisy Bateman. I don't know if it's still on (or what that would cost). I wouldn't be surprised if the Huntington deal is done in principle, with the Dogs are trying to on-trade before it's officially announced. We had that massive multi-team trade that was really a few trades thrown together last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we get something like that again.

They can't Rennie this deal, though. They said that fell through because North weren't offering anything usable. Right now, the Dogs are sitting at 24, 56 and 72 with at least 4 list spots to fill in addition to Aurora Smith and Kirsten McLeod likely to be inactive. They'll also get a lot more backlash if this one falls through.

One thing that may be worth mentioning if the Dogs do get pick 20 is that Scott has been playing VFLW for the Cats rather than the Dogs. It may also mean absolutely nothing. I've never been able to figure out how players wind up with one VFLW team or another. It may be a zone thing, but I thought Scott was from inside Dogs territory. From GWV, Speakman and Walton were playing for the Dogs, with Scoullar and Scott at the Cats. So, maybe nothing, but I'm not sure.

I'm wrapped with Olivia Barber (Even though our forward stocks were decent, now they're through the roof), but we have lost Pick 25. Now we have pick 30 in the first round. Pie 4 life I want you to take the role of Collingwood's list manager metaphorically speaking. Who are your targets around pick 30?
Not sure our forward stocks are decent as you say. Alexander gone. Sabrina not enough physicality for her size and no speed.
Alisha newman gone. Sheridan and malloy playing as mids a fair bit late in season.
On the plus side Membrey back.
Hopefully Olivia shines.
Hopefully Brazil back

Not sure our forward stocks are decent as you say. Alexander gone. Sabrina not enough physicality for her size and no speed.
Alisha newman gone. Sheridan and malloy playing as mids a fair bit late in season.
On the plus side Membrey back.
Hopefully Olivia shines.
Hopefully Brazil back
Alexander was a fringe player. From a structural point of view, she played her part, but never hit the scoreboard consistently. Wasn't really her fault this year or Sabrina Frederick, or any forwards for that matter. It was a decent forward line completely starved of opportunity due to a weekend midfield and a ruck 37 years old ruck with no backup. That's the big piece that is missing from Collingwood and the only one we can't really substitute.

Liv Barber was U18 All Australian as an underager. Her upside is massive. Think of her as an upgrade from Sophie Alexander only taller. Yes, I suspect Chloe Molloy and Aisling Sheridan will have to play midfield this year, I'd like to see Tarni Brown step up to. But when the injury list is healthy, and Davey and Bonnici return, Molloy and Sheridan go back to the forward line. But as for forward stocks currently, I think there is plenty to go around. Lastly, Ash Brazill is just taking up space. Best to move her on.

C.Molloy
A.Sherridan
S.Frederick
I.Barnett
E.Chaston
J.Membrey
A.Moloney
E.James
O.Barber

Alexander was a fringe player. From a structural point of view, she played her part, but never hit the scoreboard consistently. Wasn't really her fault this year or Sabrina Frederick, or any forwards for that matter. It was a decent forward line completely starved of opportunity due to a weekend midfield and a ruck 37 years old ruck with no backup. That's the big piece that is missing from Collingwood and the only one we can't really substitute.

Liv Barber was U18 All Australian as an underager. Her upside is massive. Think of her as an upgrade from Sophie Alexander only taller. Yes, I suspect Chloe Molloy and Aisling Sheridan will have to play midfield this year, I'd like to see Tarni Brown step up to. But when the injury list is healthy, and Davey and Bonnici return, Molloy and Sheridan go back to the forward line. But as for forward stocks currently, I think there is plenty to go around. Lastly, Ash Brazill is just taking up space. Best to move her on.

C.Molloy
A.Sherridan
S.Frederick
I.Barnett
E.Chaston
J.Membrey
A.Moloney
E.James
O.Barber

you'll be lucky to get much out of Frederick, as we (Tigers) found out to our horror
she's running on the fumes of past achievements
you might as well put a line through her to do anything meaningful going forward into your future

The North board was saying the Dogs were trying to get Daisy Bateman. I don't know if it's still on (or what that would cost). I wouldn't be surprised if the Huntington deal is done in principle, with the Dogs are trying to on-trade before it's officially announced. We had that massive multi-team trade that was really a few trades thrown together last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we get something like that again.

They can't Rennie this deal, though. They said that fell through because North weren't offering anything usable. Right now, the Dogs are sitting at 24, 56 and 72 with at least 4 list spots to fill in addition to Aurora Smith and Kirsten McLeod likely to be inactive. They'll also get a lot more backlash if this one falls through.

One thing that may be worth mentioning if the Dogs do get pick 20 is that Scott has been playing VFLW for the Cats rather than the Dogs. It may also mean absolutely nothing. I've never been able to figure out how players wind up with one VFLW team or another. It may be a zone thing, but I thought Scott was from inside Dogs territory. From GWV, Speakman and Walton were playing for the Dogs, with Scoullar and Scott at the Cats. So, maybe nothing, but I'm not sure.

yeah it's hard to figure out what the reasons are that NAB U/18 girls play for each of the VFLW teams
unless it's just ad hock, which it seems to be

this year Port Melbourne VFLW had 3 Murray Bushrangers players Cassidy Mailer, Maddy & Tayissa Gray, last year it was Oakleigh Chargers Amanda Ling & Brooke Vickers

i agree with you that this year the Dog's can't Rennie the deal with GWS over Huntington

yeah it's hard to figure out what the reasons are that NAB U/18 girls play for each of the VFLW teams
unless it's just ad hock, which it seems to be

this year Port Melbourne VFLW had 3 Murray Bushrangers players Cassidy Mailer, Maddy & Tayissa Gray, last year it was Oakleigh Chargers Amanda Ling & Brooke Vickers

i agree with you that this year the Dog's can't Rennie the deal with GWS over Huntington
Port Melbourne and Collingwood share Murray Bushrangers and Oakleigh Chargers players, hence the variety as both are generally strong regions for top-end talent.

you'll be lucky to get much out of Frederick, as we (Tigers) found out to our horror
she's running on the fumes of past achievements
you might as well put a line through her to do anything meaningful going forward into your future
It's fair criticism. She hasn't really performed in the last three years. But Frederick was much better in the second half this year. She deffinately has a confidence problem. If Collingwood can fix that I'll deffinately back her in on the one on ones. But like I mentioned before, that entire forward line was starved of opportunity last season because the midfield kept getting smashed in the hit-outs and inside 50s.

Big hit for WA, in particular West Coast.

First round AFLW draft prospect Lauren Wakfer will be sidelined for up to 12 months after suffering a season-ending ACL injury. Wakfer, widely considered one of WA’s best two draft potentials alongside Peel Thunder’s Ella Roberts, will watch what should’ve been her debut AFLW season from the sidelines after scans confirmed the injury.

The 18-year-old was playing for South Fremantle in the WAFLW when a Swan Districts player fell across her leg attempting to smother Wakfer’s kick. With West Coast handed three first-round draft picks as part of an AFLW draft concession package, the Eagles looked certain to land Roberts and Wakfer with the first two WA-based selections (14 and 15) before Fremantle entered the draft at pick 27.

Eagle Parris Laurie also retired last week, leaving second-year talent Sarah Lakay as West Coast’s only recognised ruck. Wakfer had an exceptional under-18 National Championships, recognised in the All-Australian side as the best ruck of her draft class. A renowned athlete, Wakfer has recorded the fourth-most hit-outs of any player in the WAFLW this season.

But her ability to have an impact around the ground has also excited recruiters, averaging nearly 14 touches from eight games. The AFLW draft will take place on June 29 with the next AFLW season due to commence in late August

Remove this Banner Ad

Back