Unofficial Preview 2022 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum has some obvious weaknesses that will be tough to remedy, kicking and speed mainly. What he does bring though is intent and a footy brain. He gets himself in the right spots, and lifts when the game is on the line. I can see why he gets picked, but also the frustration with him.

Tyler for me has all the attributes, he just needs to get some consistency and confidence at AFL level. We are quick to write players off, I think with the sudden influx of young players the added competition will either make him or break him. He has no choice but to now step up mentally. I hope he makes it.

Callum certainly has kicking issues but he has plenty of speed when required.
I think we have to not pigeon hole players because of their performances over the last few years.
When you are playing to a coach’s game plan that is far too hell bent on filling space rather than pressure the ball carrier, as well as stagnant ball movement when we do get the footy, then it doesn’t give players every opportunity to excel.
I expect we will see many players improve drastically with new tactics & game style.
For instance none of our small forwards were coached to be front & centre of a pack mark contest.
There will be some sides to players that we see that will surprise us. Callum’s kicking I expect won’t be one of them, but he will along with many others get a chance to showcase other sides to his game that weren’t being allowed to flourish under the old system.
Exciting times ahead.

Assuming De Goey isn’t available then I’d look at the following.

Backs - Ruscoe - Roughead - Howe
H/backs - Quaynor - Moore - Crisp
Centre - J.Daicos - Maynard - Lipinski
H/fwd - Sidebottom - Krueger - Mihocek
Fwd - Elliott - Henry - Cameron
Rucks - Grundy - Pendlebury - Adams
Int - Macrae - Noble - N.Daicos - Mcreery

B Howe Roughy Quaynor
HB Maynard Moore Crisp
C J Daicos Pendles WHE
HF Sidebottom Mihocek Henry
F Elliot Cameron McCreery
Foll Grundy Adams De Goey
Int Lipinski McCrae Ruscoe N Daicos

I think we have to not pigeon hole players because of their performances over the last few years.
When you are playing to a coach’s game plan that is far too hell bent on filling space rather than pressure the ball carrier, as well as stagnant ball movement when we do get the footy, then it doesn’t give players every opportunity to excel.
I expect we will see many players improve drastically with new tactics & game style.
For instance none of our small forwards were coached to be front & centre of a pack mark contest.
There will be some sides to players that we see that will surprise us. Callum’s kicking I expect won’t be one of them, but he will along with many others get a chance to showcase other sides to his game that weren’t being allowed to flourish under the old system.
Exciting times ahead.
Fair point

I dont really see us challenging for the 8 next year which means that we need to get some games into the kids to see if they are really up to it. This also means that some of our senior players will be missing games or will be playing less vital positions for long periods. Pendlebury off the HBF. Sidebotton forward pocket etc. I would like to see Dean and Roughhead in the same side however if the coaching staff dont see them working together then a 30 year old Roughhead will have to drop out at times to give Dean a few games. A 31 year old Howe will need to let a Ruscoe like player develop.
Its a fine line between having a good amount of senior players in the team helping develop the younger generation and not developing enough younger players because we are only playing senior players. Hopefully we can get the balance right.

Sounds like Nick likely to be starrting off half back going by what he said. And this goes with what I was told a couple months ago.

That means if Ruscoe keeps getting games down back, or if Dean is in as a 3rd tall, someone from defence will be playing in the midfield. Crisp, Maynard or Quaynor.

Not sure why there's so much love for Nick in defence, I don't think it's his best position - clearly he's best possy is a mid, an outside type of mid imo.

In order to best use him in defence, we'd have to model a game plan that is attacking drives from D50. That's all good and well but even then he'd be competing against IQ and noble (as run and carry types).

There's no suggestion he'll be immediately better than those two from the start, in that position. That'd be speculative.

I'd rather him push for a spot as that outside receiving mid, even wing. Think it's better to develop him this way, sure he'll have more competition to break into the middle but we need to be patient. 2022 will be very much a development year in both game and player.

I get he's a versatile player, even could be a generational utility who knows.

My money is on the coaching panel focus on grooming him for the middle.

Not sure why there's so much love for Nick in defence, I don't think it's his best position - clearly he's best possy is a mid, an outside type of mid imo.

In order to best use him in defence, we'd have to model a game plan that is attacking drives from D50. That's all good and well but even then he'd be competing against IQ and noble (as run and carry types).

There's no suggestion he'll be immediately better than those two from the start, in that position. That'd be speculative.

I'd rather him push for a spot as that outside receiving mid, even wing. Think it's better to develop him this way, sure he'll have more competition to break into the middle but we need to be patient. 2022 will be very much a development year in both game and player.

I get he's a versatile player, even could be a generational utility who knows.

My money is on the coaching panel focus on grooming him for the middle.
Its clearly not his best position, but boy, can he play it to sublime. In his very first game playing with our vfl team, you just had to bite down on your fist because at how good he looked off half back.
And clearly at only 72kg, he isn't gonna play in the middle from the start, so half back and rolling through the midfield kinda like what crisp does it seems is what they feel is best for him right now. Ease him into it as he develops.

Its clearly not his best position, but boy, can he play it to sublime. In his very first game playing with our vfl team, you just had to bite down on your fist because at how good he looked off half back.
And clearly at only 72kg, he isn't gonna play in the middle from the start, so half back and rolling through the midfield kinda like what crisp does it seems is what they feel is best for him right now

Is that your intel Jen? The coaching panel are going to develop him in a HB role?

I would hope this is not the intent, as versatile as he is, I'd rather he and his coaches focus on his strengths - which seems more midfield than a run and carry HB.

I could be wrong but it seems he's a mid first and foremost.

Is that your intel Jen? The coaching panel are going to develop him in a HB role?

I would hope this is not the intent, as versatile as he is, I'd rather he and his coaches focus on his strengths - which seems more midfield than a run and carry HB.

I could be wrong but it seems he's a mid first and foremost.

Came from Nck himself. I'll see if I can find the interview.

Exciting times ahead.
First fundamental skill of Aussie rules Football is kicking the football in an effective manner , hence the name of our game , Foot ball. He is substandard with this basic first fundamental skill , his kicking will never improve , that ship has long sailed , if you have not mastered the correct ball drop technique and the connection of foot on the ball at its pointy end by the age of 20 , you never will , it is a repetitive action for Callum which cannot be rectified with the amount of time he has been playing the game and 6 seasons at Collingwood with all the skills coaches at his beck and call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that case, I'm not gonna oppose that developmental focus.
Yeah, it seems we have a big emphasis on development and investing in development coaches, given how many kids we have. It's no surprise they'll ease him through the system in phases to make sure he can become the best player he can be. If that means starting off half back as he develops and matures, then so be it. His skills back there won't hurt either.

We have all dropped WHE. His salary means that we're likely going to field him. At least for the first part of the season. And I think when played on the wing, he is a quality player. People just need to realise this and stop reiterating his dire 2020/1 campaign.
He’ll have more competition for the wing next season with Lipinski coming in and the likes of Reef, Macrae, Bianco starting to come on. But I also think we can’t afford to have a player with speed and a long kick in the ressies so if he gets pushed off the wing I hope he atleast moves to half back.

FB: Ash Johnson ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Trey Ruscoe
HB: Nick Daicos ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jack Crisp

M: Will Hoskin-Elliott ~ Brayden Maynard ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Patrick Lipinski ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Josh Daicos ~ Nathan Kreuger ~ Trent Bianco
F: Darcy Cameron ~ Brodie Mihocek ~ Jamie Elliott

I/C: Taylor Adams ~ Beau McCreery ~ Isaac Quaynor ~ Steele Sidebottom

*Josh Daicos is named up forward but he’ll be rotating mid.

He’ll have more competition for the wing next season with Lipinski coming in and the likes of Reef, Macrae, Bianco starting to come on. But I also think we can’t afford to have a player with speed and a long kick in the ressies so if he gets pushed off the wing I hope he atleast moves to half back.
Absolutely. Don’t forget Poulter also for that wing position and Josh Daicos. Nice having go too options again

FB: Ash Johnson ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Trey Ruscoe
HB: Nick Daicos ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jack Crisp

M: Will Hoskin-Elliott ~ Brayden Maynard ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Patrick Lipinski ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Josh Daicos ~ Nathan Kreuger ~ Trent Bianco
F: Darcy Cameron ~ Brodie Mihocek ~ Jamie Elliott

I/C: Taylor Adams ~ Beau McCreery ~ Isaac Quaynor ~ Steele Sidebottom

*Josh Daicos is named up forward but he’ll be rotating mid.
Johnson won't be playing in defence. No Howe?

I think Howe is too injury prone to be relied upon at this point and Johnson is the ideal successor.

I think Howe is too injury prone to be relied upon at this point and Johnson is the ideal successor.
Interesting choice. I've currently seen no signs he'll be playing in defence at this point. But suppose anything can change.

I wonder if Dean can be howe's successor?

That was a left field selection Mike , where did you get that inspiration to have Johnson in the back line when pretty much his whole career has been as a forward , I haven’t seen him play so I can’t comment

That was a left field selection Mike , where did you get that inspiration to have Johnson in the back line when pretty much his whole career has been as a forward , I haven’t seen him play so I can’t comment
I haven't seen him play a game, but I've seen him training last week and it was definitely in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back