Votes: 27 16.8%
  • 36. Josh Honey

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • 44. Matthew Owies

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

I think Setterfield could be added to the list, had a great second half of 2020. Played out of position, lost some confidence and then injuries destroyed 2021. Has talent and is a great inside option, but needs to find other strength/role.

Honey is my first pick, will see plenty of game time this year and has the explosive speed and X factor. TDK is already good around the ground can see him add size and hold his own in the ruck. Cuningham if he can stay fit could be anything. Didn’t vote Stocker as can’t see him add many inside minutes this year, but will improve again no doubt

Cripps back to 2019 form would be ideal, but would except 2020 where he was still #1 at center clearances.

Think who breaks out is less important than how many have career best years, and how many actually play 20+ games.

Our problems over the past 3 seasons - the coaching/football department notwithstanding - can really be drawn back to injury wrecking synergy between players and a lack of continuity. Fix this problem, and we won't know ourselves.

Think who breaks out is less important than how many have career best years, and how many actually play 20+ games.

Our problems over the past 3 seasons - the coaching/football department notwithstanding - can really be drawn back to injury wrecking synergy between players and a lack of continuity. Fix this problem, and we won't know ourselves.

Correct - continuity has easily been our biggest issue over the past few years.

Exactly why I'm not at all fussed if the likes of Kemp, Philp etc. 'break out' in 2022. I just want to see them get game time into their bodies, at any level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Walsh. Sure he did well in 2021 but he needs to pull his finger out to really reach his full potential ............

Kemp
Stocker
Charlie curnow please

If we are to progress up the ladder we need a couple of fringe players who have been on the list to take a huge step forward. The two I believe can take that step are Kennedy and Dow. Both have served their apprenticeships. Both are primed. Kennedy had a great end to 2021 and looks supremely fit this pre-season. Dow has Voss and Diesel mentoring him and hopefully changing his mind-set. If he starts to believe in himself he will be a serious weapon and point of difference to our midfield.

Of the youngsters I can see Durdin playing a big role as our quick, aggressive pressure forward.

Could make cases for all of them on the list...

I haven't gone back to this thread for a while, from the poll - the top 3 break out candidates are:
  1. Stocker - pity, he got injured and may have a slow start to the year. Is he back training as yet?
  2. Kemp - I just think he gives us so much versatility - if he has a big year - watch out!
  3. Dow - It would be interesting to see how he progresses with Cerra coming in. He has someone who has excelled that he can compare to directly from his draft year
I'm surprised that there's not enough love for TDK.
If he has a BO year, we have a important position on the ground covered - ruck! Which we haven't had for a while

In any case, if we get 3 or so having a Break Out year, we will be doing well and definitely finals bound for 2022 - exciting times!

Fisher - Couple of interrupted seasons, if he stays injury free, will have his best season

Kemp - Too much talent and after returning from a couple of serious injuries, will be set for a good year

Carroll - Think he will cement a spot, like Kemp has great versatility
Seemed like Voss/Port liked utilising a few of those nimble small/ff/mid types, which should suit Fisher's natural game pretty well. Floating between small fwd/hhf/wing/edge-of-the-contest roles.

Dow, Honey and Fisher are my selections but I was going to choose O'Brien.
I think he will come out firing this year and show us what he can do👌

Back