Position 2022 Fantasy Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand the set and forget approach.

Why are rucks considered different to any other position? You don't hear about set and forget defence. Don't we look for value in all 30 positions?
In my opinion, they're very different given there are only two of them. Obviously the positions don't mean much at the start of the season because you're comparing 30 players v 30 players and if you have a cheap ruck you'll spend the cash in the other position and vice versa. But, by the end of the season the goal is to have the 30 best players or close to it. In bigger lines like Midfield and Fwd/Def, you have six players to fill that slot and it might be that block of three or four weeks, the fifth ranked defender goes on a tear, whereas another block the seventh best defender does and over time the six players you have sort of level out and it doesn't matter if you had exactly this six or exactly that six. In Ruck, there is only two so there's a lot less diversity. If there are a couple of guys that are above the rest, they'll consistenly put points on your replacement and you'll slip back. It wouldn't be the case if there weren't two clear rucks and there were, instead, a handful who could all score 120+ for periods, but over the last three or four years Grundy and Gawn have proven they're the best and it seems that will continue.

Plus you have less options as less price points to replace them with. There's only like 40-50 players with ruck status and only probably 25-30 playing each week, so if your guy is injured, you might not be able to find a good suitable replacement at the price point you need. Whereas there are hundreds of forwards, mids and defenders making it easier to find a replacement at that position if you do get an injury.

Looks like I'm going against the grain and going Grundy and Draper.

I have a few reason for this.
Firstly, for value...
Gawn (110) + mid rookie (50) = 160
Draper (75) + Neale (105) = 180

The second reason is the lack of rookies in other lines. I played with set and forget rucks and if there was 4/5 sub $200k players playing rd 1, I'd probably go this way.

Thirdly, Draper is by far and away the cheapest solo ruck who is not only fit, but not under selection pressure. Sure Wright will play 20% ruck time but Draper has shown he can score big and can go fwd and kick a goal.

And finally, I can have less risk by having a few exit strategies....
1 - If Draper fails I can go down to Pruess if he fires. I really like this idea as those that go set and forget are not going to go down to Pruess, even if Gawn and Grundy are only going 105 and Pruess is going 80. This could give me a massive POD and cash generation advantage over set and forget.
2 - I have Xerri in the fwd line, Hayes at R2 and Dixon as Utl. This potentially gives me 4 players that can play at R2.
I'm also going this exact route, so I'll see you in the bin in round 3

I'm also going this exact route, so I'll see you in the bin in round 3
I only see Draper getting better.
Essendon at least see, that a rebuild with and based around an upcoming ruck is the way to go.
He's a feisty campaigner so will always be a shot at having a huge season sooner rather than later.

Just need North to try the same with Xerri.

Essendon at least see, that a rebuild with and based around an upcoming ruck is the way to go.
He's a feisty campaigner so will always be a shot at having a huge season sooner rather than later.

That's realistically how I see it also, I feel like it's important with midprice selections that you select those with great upside in terms of potential, as opposed to great upside in terms of getting back to where they once were. A better risk to take in my opinion.

Draper is a spud with ball in hands

Seriously considering Witts, he and the coach have said ready to go round 1. Sole ruck, he can easily average 90-100 Which is all you need at that price.

Worts case scenario he tanks, it's 2 trades to grab Gawn.

Becomes an enticing option as everyone has Gawndy. the extra cash helps massively in Defence however it could backfire of course hmmmm

Seriously considering Witts, he and the coach have said ready to go round 1. Sole ruck, he can easily average 90-100 Which is all you need at that price.

Worts case scenario he tanks, it's 2 trades to grab Gawn.

Becomes an enticing option as everyone has Gawndy. the extra cash helps massively in Defence however it could backfire of course hmmmm
austin-powers-dr-evil.gif

I know it’s short sighted, but a big turn-off for me with Witts at the moment is a round 1 matchup vs Nicnat on a hard deck in Perth coming off an ACL (never mind that he then goes up against Gawn/Jackson in round 2).

If Nicnat misses round 1 which is looking possible, that could change things a bit. If you’re picking a mid pricer you really need a decent start to kick off their cash gen and not sacrifice too many points to the premo options.

I know it’s short sighted, but a big turn-off for me with Witts at the moment is a round 1 matchup vs Nicnat on a hard deck in Perth coming off an ACL (never mind that he then goes up against Gawn/Jackson in round 2).

If Nicnat misses round 1 which is looking possible, that could change things a bit. If you’re picking a mid pricer you really need a decent start to kick off their cash gen and not sacrifice too many points to the premo options.

Yeah great point on the fixture. I guess it's more about the first 10 games or so.

another play is going Marshall with the hope he gets at least 3-4 games as sole ruck, then when Ryder takes minutes off can jump to Witts (if he looks ok) or up to Gawn depending on what's best at that point in time.

What about the 40% time on bench for Nic Nat? Witts will dominate in that period

What about the 40% time on bench for Nic Nat? Witts will dominate in that period
Yeah that’s fair. Highly possible that NN misses the whole game anyway, but yeah if he plays he is a low TOG player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn and Dawson, hoping dawson is gonna play as I won't find out till after I've locked gawn.
Or
Marshall and crisp?
I’ve said this elsewhere, but I reckon Dawson carries a decent amount of risk given his last few weeks of the pre season. Would be leaning towards Marshall and Crisp

Having my R1 and R2 up against eachother tonight was interesting. Lots of taking the good with the bad

English was how I expected. Small increase to possies and hitouts (and free kicks for lol). He should manage another 10 HO against non-Gawn rucks.

Unpopular opinion: Gawn's frees against were mostly there against English. Was a couple dicey ones though.

Having my R1 and R2 up against eachother tonight was interesting. Lots of taking the good with the bad

English was how I expected. Small increase to possies and hitouts (and free kicks for lol). He should manage another 10 HO against non-Gawn rucks.

Unpopular opinion: Gawn's frees against were mostly there against English. Was a couple dicey ones though.
And Gawn can't mark the ball for shhhhii

Gawn let me down yesterday but 6 FA and all those dropped marks means he still has scoring power

Its a toss up between Grundy and Lynch, if I go Lynch I can upgrade Sic and Chap to Short/Ryan/Dawson, if I go Grundy then its Sic and Chap in D5/D6

Anyone think Lynch has won himself multiple weeks in the team?

Gawn let me down yesterday but 6 FA and all those dropped marks means he still has scoring power

Its a toss up between Grundy and Lynch, if I go Lynch I can upgrade Sic and Chap to Short/Ryan/Dawson, if I go Grundy then its Sic and Chap in D5/D6

Anyone think Lynch has won himself multiple weeks in the team?
Their captain is out with covid, so gotta be a wait and see.

Their captain is out with covid, so gotta be a wait and see.
Ah yep, forget Big Boy is out

Thought Lynch must have won the battle with Reeves but there is every chance that he is one and done for Big Boy

Damn, made my defense look world class for a second there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back