AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
1656310961593.png

Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed, but a red card might be a better way of dealing with future incidents on the day. Like soccer
I strongly support doing the opposite of whatever soccer does. The only place I can see for a red card is for strikes like Hall and Gaff (turning around and punching someone in the face 50m off the ball. should be assault as well)

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I strongly support doing the opposite of whatever soccer does. The only place I can see for a red card is for strikes like Hall and Gaff (turning around and punching someone in the face 50m off the ball. should be assault as well)
Agree with what Nick Reiwodlt said, when something like this happens in a GF, then it will change.

The biggest problem currently is the team who are on the receiving end of the foul play are dis-advantaged because they lose a player. In this case they can use the sub, but what happens if they have already used their sub?

Also, when the red card is suggested, would that mean 17 on the field, or 3 on the bench?

Agree with what Nick Reiwodlt said, when something like this happens in a GF, then it will change.

The biggest problem currently is the team who are on the receiving end of the foul play are dis-advantaged because they lose a player. In this case they can use the sub, but what happens if they have already used their sub?

Also, when the red card is suggested, would that mean 17 on the field, or 3 on the bench?
3 on the bench, 17 on field is stupidly unfair. You play more than maybe a quarter with 17 there's no chance you win regardless of who's out there

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
For me the biggest issue with a red card system is that it would feed into the "punish the outcome, not the action" school and that's already gotten out of hand.
Umpires have consistently shown an inability to make accurate decisions .....add more umpires, and they constantly contradict each others decisions

Good luck with a red card / sin bin process ......if you think 50 mtr penalties, and current reports are a shemozzle ....just wait on this catastrophe

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
we havent had a red card system for 150 yrs or whatever it is and there was a hell of alot more sniping going on for the majority of that than in this era

no way we should have anything near that
But with the sniping came retribution? I assume 50 years ago Stewart or Gaff wouldn't have walked off the field. Can't really even things up like that now.

I'm not saying your wrong, but it probably cost Richmond the game the other day. Sure Stewart gets a ban, but that only advantages other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As pissed as I am about what happened this is how the game has been as long as I remember and stuff like this happens.
Stewart will cop his whack and it's play on, our game is unique and Red cards are not the answer in the AFL.

St Steady

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
But with the sniping came retribution? I assume 50 years ago Stewart or Gaff wouldn't have walked off the field. Can't really even things up like that now.

I'm not saying your wrong, but it probably cost Richmond the game the other day. Sure Stewart gets a ban, but that only advantages other teams.
i get your reasoning, back then 2 umps players spread across the ground in real positions, no cameras , etc etc . yes retribution was the way it was in most cases and if the umpire did see it and report, the victim would lie at the tribunal anyways and follow the silence code

the games now so different

from memory you're a kiwi and send offs are normal in rugby , so i guess you're more broad minded than some of us old aussie farts

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
i get your reasoning, back then 2 umps players spread across the ground in real positions, no cameras , etc etc . yes retribution was the way it was in most cases and if the umpire did see it and report, the victim would lie at the tribunal anyways and follow the silence code

the games now so different

from memory you're a kiwi and send offs are normal in rugby , so i guess you're more broad minded than some of us old aussie farts
Guilty - yes I must admit I find it odd you can knock someone out and stay on the field. And the reasoning of "well it's always been like that" is a bit unusual, but there are a lot of unusual things things I like about AFL.

I'm not arguing for send-offs, just trying to understand the debate.

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Umpires have consistently shown an inability to make accurate decisions .....add more umpires, and they constantly contradict each others decisions

Good luck with a red card / sin bin process ......if you think 50 mtr penalties, and current reports are a shemozzle ....just wait on this catastrophe
Ahhhhh what's another catastrophe to the other 86 currently on show.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

St Steady

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Guilty - yes I must admit I find it odd you can knock someone out and stay on the field. And the reasoning of "well it's always been like that" is a bit unusual, but there are a lot of unusual things things I like about AFL.

I'm not arguing for send-offs, just trying to understand the debate.
i think in a nutshell, its always been like that because the overlords have always introduced a mechanism with the times. lee matthews getting de-registered for example.

i think the difference is in rugby, contact can only really come from in front of you so its really obvious when intent is there to harm.

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers, Port Melbourne.
When an incident like this occurs, the senior field umpire could be conferring with the off field umpire in the replay suite.

Off ball incidents would be hard to police in the live flow of a game, but play stopped for more than ample time for all the angles of this hit to be assessed by the umpire in the replay bunker.

Not even the O.J jury would have found a not guilty verdict on this one. If any doubt about malice aforethought or extreme negligence, play on, refer it to the tribunal to determine.

You don't see many Red cards overturned for violent acts in the EPL, about the only aspect of the VAR system that has done its advertised job.

May 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers, Port Melbourne.
Henry maybe or Blicavs?
Blicavs looks the natural replacement, given that he seems to share an uncanny Boys From Brazil like resemblance with Stewart, SDK, TDK at Carlton, and several other Geelong defender types: Matter of fact, I wonder what sort of biogenetic program they are running down there.

I reckon a certain kenneyswarriors would be happy to Blicavs take the role, anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back