Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

"We've got one spot free at the moment with Miller Bergman's injury. We've got another weekend of football still to go through so there's the potential that maybe a second spot does open up, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

I know its not what Rawlings meant, but it sounds like he's just casually expecting one of our players to sustain an LTI against the Saints this weekend.

Kind of sounds like they're hoping for an injury.

I'd love them to go into detail about Lynch and why he isn't playing, why he can't be retired etc.

Well we have gone from being flat broke and endangered to being safe from relocation due to being financially stable. Clearly we felt strong enough off field to allow us to plummet to the bottom of the ladder and get the associated rewards. ie JHF.
ok. just wasn't clear what you meant.

Seems like it would be difficult to get back up in an 18 team comp. Especially this draft with not many early picks for us. I don't have your confidence in our last few drafts tho I accept it takes most players about 3 years to become regular AFL players.

Kallan Dawson and James Blanck are both one of eight players to set terms for the draft, and both are mature prospects that fit a position of need.

If I was a betting man I’d be putting my money on those two.

AFL Mid-Season Draft: Western Jets’ Massimo D’Ambrosio on his chances​

The rise of Massimo D’Ambrosio to AFL hopeful has been a rollercoaster as the Point Cook junior opens up on recovering from a serious injury to finding a new home in defence.

Brayden May

3 min read
May 25, 2022 - 3:38PM
Wyndham Leader
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader.../44e4b6eb48be3804a26e4fddf6d44ab2#share-tools

Everything about Massimo D’Ambrosio is cool.

His name.

His attitude.

His football ability.

It’s the latter which has set tongues wagging ahead of the AFL Mid-Season Draft next Wednesday, June 1.

Many experts have tipped D’Ambrosio to be picked up by an AFL club with Hawthorn, Geelong, and Sydney rumoured to be interested in the 178cm dashing defender.

His elite kicking and decision making are just two of his attributes which are making the 19-year-old attractive to recruiters.

“(Seeing my name everywhere) is definitely something new,” D’Ambrosio said.

“I try and stay away from the socials as much as possible because I don’t want to get caught up in it all. But it can be hard because it’s everywhere with the draft so close now.”

The Western Jets co-captain has been right under the nose of Richmond recruiters this season having turned out for the Tigers’ VFL program.
He then went onto play the first four games of the NAB League season with the Jets.

He has averaged 27.8 disposals, eight intercept possessions and eight rebound 50s.

But those numbers might never have occurred if D’Ambrosio wasn’t moved to halfback having predominantly played as a midfielder during his junior career with Point Cook in the Western Region league.

“One of my strengths is being able to read the play and knowing when to come off my opponent,” D’Ambrosio said.

“It allows me to see everything in front of me and I’m thankful to my coaches for giving me that opportunity.

“I’ve gone back to basics this year and said to myself I want to have fun this year and trust the work I have done.

“I’m having the time of my life out on the ground right now.”

Current Jets coach Robbie Chancellor said he thought a move to defence would best suit D’Ambrosio because they played to his “attributes and strengths”.

The pair share a close relationship with Chancellor also coaching the teenager during his time at Maribyrnong College.

“We thought across halfback Massimo’s skills would be on show and he has really brought into the switch,” Chancellor said.

“His ability to get over and help teammates in the air, despite his size, and on the ground is outstanding. He’s built a really good profile as a small defender who is really hard to beat one-on-one.

“He’s one of the most empathetic and caring young men I’ve come across during my time in footy. He’s a ripping kid.

“I’m hopeful he gets an opportunity because I’ve always thought he had the ability to play at the next level.

“He showed he’s a classy player in the NAB League then he’s gone onto play some good footy in the VFL.”

Not everything has been as smooth sailing as this year for D’Ambrosio — where he has shone in key games including the Colgate Young Guns’ clash with the Vic Country under 18s earlier this month.

When the pandemic started in 2020, the four-time junior league best and fairest found himself battling a serious back injury which threatened to derail his draft prospects.

“It was a pretty dark time when I first did my back because I wasn’t sure what would happen,” D’Ambrosio said.

“But I was able to overcome those issues because I spoke out to the people who were closest to me and they guided me through what I needed to do.

“I put a lot of strengthening work into rehab and it continued to build from there.

“Going through those challenges is something which helped me to become the positive person I am today.”

Last weekend, D’Ambrossio played in Richmond’s VFL side against Essendon on the MCG — a curtain raiser to the Dreamtime clash.
He finished with 25 disposals in the big win.

“It’s great to be associated with such a great club,” he said.

“They’ve allowed me to keep playing my game and seeing what’s required from top level players has been a great insight.”

Kallan Dawson and James Blanck are both one of eight players to set terms for the draft, and both are mature prospects that fit a position of need.

If I was a betting man I’d be putting my money on those two.
Blanck sounds promising especially if it means screwing over hawthorn

I'd love Menzie, but he was draft eligible last year and is one of those 19 year olds.

D'Ambrosio, El Nour, Menzie, Culley

2 of those if possible and we're laughing. Problem is 3/4 are 19 - the only one that isn't is El Nour who turns 21 in September. I'm not sure he's necessarily a 'mature aged' recruit either, but ultimately we don't know what they mean by that.

What we do know is that a differentiation was made between the 19 year olds and 'mature aged', which I felt they suggested we were not focusing so much on the 19 year olds which is mental.

If we pass on taking the best or 2nd best 19 year old in the country I have no idea what we're doing. It'll be an objectively bad move.

Surprised your not into Derksen.

With his size and movement combo he presents to have the highest potential ceiling of any of the MSD options.

I know hes not your "best 19yo" but still very young and has been Covid impacted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A perfect example of the type of mature-aged player we should target with late national draft and/or rookie draft picks, not the MSD. There'll be a few players like him at the end of this year we can grab from a state league if we want to sure up our key position stocks and decide we need more experience back there.

This season is dead - give 6-18 month contracts to players like D'Ambrosio + El Nour to see if they can make it at AFL level. They've got lower floors but much higher ceilings than Maibaum, and are worth the risk.
I am concerned they (CEO / Management) may have buckled under the pressure of being at the bottom and want a quick fix. My concerns are based off very little information but the mature player reference by Brady was noticeable as you have said. Then again Brady is no Shakespeare and by mature he could have meant many different things and either misspoke or mixed his words.

If we do draft a "mature" player or 2 I guess we will never know if it was the plan all along or a knee jerk reaction

FORMER HAWK KNOCKS BACK MID-SEASON CHANCE

MORE than 200 players nominated for next Wednesday's Mid-Season Rookie Draft, but one player didn't despite attracting plenty of interest.

Former Hawk Ollie Hanrahan was on the radar of the Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne and a couple of other clubs.

The 23-year-old was unlucky to be delisted by Hawthorn at the end of last year after playing 13 games in 2021 – including the final three in the senior side – for a total of 29 games across four seasons at Waverley Park.

Hanrahan signed with Werribee in the VFL after speaking to a handful of AFL clubs before being overlooked for another opportunity at the national and rookie drafts.

After playing predominantly as a small forward during his time at Hawthorn, Hanrahan has starred as a midfielder at Chirnside Park.

AFL.com.au can reveal Hanrahan has decided not to nominate for the mid-season draft because he wants to move on with his life away from a full-time environment, exploring study, travel and other interests.

This hasn't stopped some clubs asking the question in recent days.

Sydney nominated Hanrahan as one four Werribee players to be included on its top-up list in the unlikely event they require players this year and was monitoring his progress in the VFL. – Josh Gabelich

You’d assume that’s the plan if we don’t end up with an LTI this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That conversation with Lynch would be the stuff of black comedy.

Brady: "So Tom, mate, given the law of averages, there's a decent chance we'll get an LTI this weekend. But on the off chance, if we don't, how attached are you feeling to our VFL team? No, I mean as a player."

That conversation with Lynch would be the stuff of black comedy.

Brady: "So Tom, mate, given the law of averages, there's a decent chance we'll get an LTI this weekend. But on the off chance, if we don't, how attached are you feeling to our VFL team? No, I mean as a player."
Hi Tom. Let me introduce you to Drew Petrie. He's joining us today for some trainng drills. We'd like you to go out and do some one-on-one work with him.

I'd love Menzie, but he was draft eligible last year and is one of those 19 year olds.

D'Ambrosio, El Nour, Menzie, Culley

2 of those if possible and we're laughing. Problem is 3/4 are 19 - the only one that isn't is El Nour who turns 21 in September. I'm not sure he's necessarily a 'mature aged' recruit either, but ultimately we don't know what they mean by that.

What we do know is that a differentiation was made between the 19 year olds and 'mature aged', which I felt they suggested we were not focusing so much on the 19 year olds which is mental.

If we pass on taking the best or 2nd best 19 year old in the country I have no idea what we're doing. It'll be an objectively bad move.
It’s been mentioned mate, but seriously have you tried to explore putting your hat somewhat into the ring for north list management position. Not joking. Have no idea what your day job is, but you have an excellent handle on what’s going on. Kudos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back