Strategy 2022 Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but i have no idea where people are getting this "Melbourne are gonna fall off" idea. It's bullshit.

We had only 7 players in our premiership team over 26.

ONLY 7!

We also had 7 premiership players under 22.

A fall off is near impossible based only off of age and list demographic.
You're just making sh*t up and hoping we fail, it's not like the Dogs in 2016 when a hangover was plausible due to how young their list was and how miraculous their win was.

Melbourne were the best team all last year and expecting us to fall off again is a lazy assumption based off of Melbourne throughout the 21st century, except none of those sides won a flag nor had anywhere near as much talent.

Our new fitness bloke Selwyn Griffiths is even harder than Burgess and they've even had to hold people back

so stfu, i'm starting Tracc, Oliver and Jackson 100%
idfc

See Collingwood after 2010 and choke in 2011 😢

I'm thinking my premo mids are going to be Steele, Miller and Titch + Neale.

Those first 3 are the ones who are the key posession winners for their teams with very little competition for midfield points. Pretty much guaranteed big scores.

I feel like we have 4 mid locks and the rest hope for the best with no cash left.

Macrae - elite won't stop.
Steele - elite only knock was slow start.
Miller - elite no one can go with him.
Oliver - elite I can see him getting better.

Easily put these in that list

Walsh - Cerra make any difference?
Mitchell - SM change anything go younger?
Bont - No real knock think he is overs 120 ave?
Trac - No real knock any premiership hangover?
Lyons - I can't have him at the price.
Merrett - Gun better options 115 ave?
Parish - I would want to see him do it again.
Guthrie - Done it 2 years running, price?
Wines - I can't see him going at better.

Great price options

Neale - Fully fit will be a bargain.
Adams - Fit? 2020 scoring? I just don't know.
Danger - Have to get him at the price.
Shuey - Fit? Getting on, midfield minutes?

I think titch belongs in the top bracket, post bye he went 130+. Had no preseason virtually, was touch and go for R1. While hes 28, he did miss an entire year of footy so less miles in the legs, should have another year close to or at peak. There really isnt much else S.Mitchell can do with titch, he's still their best mid by a mile and none of them have the ceiling next year to get near him.

Walsh/Bont I'd have 6th and 7th and the rest potential upgrade targets. Bont's drop off was the same week after he copped the shoulder hit and wore tape for the year, but nothing was said of it so not 100% sure if that was the reason.

Macrae-Steele-Touk-Oliver-Titch would be my ideal set up but we may have a lot of mid rooks and look to start 4 instead of 5. Neale is a bit of a spanner, will be 29 off 4 different injuries (shoulder, calf, back, syndesmosis), but still has the upside and value.

Last edited:
I think titch belongs in the top bracket, post bye he went 130+. Had no preseason virtually, was touch and go for R1. While hes 28, he did miss an entire year of footy so less miles in the legs, should have another year close to or at peak. There really isnt much else S.Mitchell can do with titch, he's still their best mid by a mile and none of them have the ceiling next year to get near him.

Walsh/Bont I'd have 6th and 7th and the rest potential upgrade targets. Bont's drop off was the same week after he copped the shoulder hit and wore tape for the year, but nothing was said of it so not 100% sure if that was the reason.

Macrae-Steele-Touk-Oliver-Titch would be my ideal set up but we may have a lot of mid rooks and look to start 4 instead of 5. Neale is a bit of a spanner, will be 29 off 4 different injuries (shoulder, calf, back, syndesmosis), but still has the upside and value.

The only thing with Mitchell is Hawthorn and Sam trying to not only trade him but have almost stated they will lose games for picks...

Mitchell gets to play like he did last year I'm having him in my team.

Might be the bloke you bring in if one of those top 4 mids Steele/Olly/Macrae/Touk don't perform leading into round 3.

Using 5400 as the magic number, Gawn especially will cost a good bit less, Grundy only a small amount.

Gawn start 2021 751,400, next around 650k.
Grundy start 2021 648,200, next around 625k.

Probably will start Gawn. No idea yet who else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using 5400 as the magic number, Gawn especially will cost a good bit less, Grundy only a small amount.

Gawn start 2021 751,400, next around 650k.
Grundy start 2021 648,200, next around 625k.

Probably will start Gawn. No idea yet who else.
Hopefully a decent R2 option arises to finally save some cash in that area. Although a lot did go Flynn last year and that worked for a small period

More interested in Cripps

I talked up Walsh all pre-season last year, but went with Cripps instead. Epic fail.
Cripps could go 120+ but I won't go anywhere near him. He's one of the reasons I sucked at SC in 2021, but just one of many.
Paddy Cripps can GAGF!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
They are trying to make all 10 vic clubs play each other in round 1.
They will release the first 8-9 rounds of the fixture next week.
So we wont know byes at the start of the year most likely.
from

I'm really not sure about Walsh.

I started him last season and he was great. He was fantastic... when he was like $500k. But next season he's gonna be what, $630k? Plus they're adding Cerra and Hewett to their midfield mix. Hell who knows, Cripps could even stop playing like a crab and steal points off him as well.

I dunno, I'm just not sure I see the upside.

I started him last season and he was great. He was fantastic... when he was like $500k. But next season he's gonna be what, $630k? Plus they're adding Cerra and Hewett to their midfield mix. Hell who knows, Cripps could even stop playing like a crab and steal points off him as well.

Look at it this way .....for the extra $130K you get another 5kgs of Walsh ....on a price per kg that's excellent value

Good players will always score points.
Look at the big scoring Dogs. Macrae, Bont, Libba, Dunkley, Hunter.
The Cats with GAJ, Selwood, Bartel back in the day. The Pies midfield when Swan, Beams, Pendles etc were running around.

Sure winning teams like those above boost scoring, but I think that getting other decent players around you can help your scoring rather than hinder it.

FWIW I doubt I start Walsh this year (so that means he'll go big obviously).

Reckon he's one you can wait for bad game and get him a bit cheaper.

Can't start all the gun mids.

Look at it this way .....for the extra $130K you get another 5kgs of Walsh ....on a price per kg that's excellent value

Didn't help when I picked Lance Whitnall all those years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back