Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving his output, he’s been such a fantastic pickup, I do wonder though and this doesn’t concern just him, but are we asking our top on ballers to do too much?

Against Freo and Port we are having multiple players go entire quarters not touching the ball, do we need to sacrifice a few of these big numbers to increase the output of our second tier players?

Someone posted that we had something like 5 of the top 8 ball winners last night, yet 5 or 6 of the bottom 8.
Is it a blight on our top players that they aren't sharing it around, or do our bottom 6-8 need to be working much harder to get into the game?

A more consistent team performance is needed. Injuries clearly hampered our squad and game plan.

Are we over-using the ball?
Comparing our midfield numbers to Freos mids, it looks like our mids had a day out

Screenshot - 2022-04-24T111437.108.png

Screenshot - 2022-04-24T111343.932.png

Where is it going wrong? For years, we have speculated that our defenders were being put under too much pressure, because our midfield were short on numbers, not hard enough (except for PC) and not classy enough. But with Hewitt, Kennedy and Cripps all going well, we are certainly tough enough. With Hewitts DE being very high and the class of Cerra we should have the class to compete. But we clearly are having problems.

Something has changed from our preseason form and our early season form. It seems to me that the wheels have started to fall off since we lost our defensive structure when Gov and OMac went down. The ability to setup play from defence seems to be deteriorating. Perhaps having a Lever type of intercepting defender with class is more important than we realize.

Are we being let down on the wings? Leading to repeat rebound opposition F50 entries?

With Marchbank coming back eventually and Gov the same, hopefully we can look forward to a resumption of the elite football that we were playing 3-4 weeks ago. here's hoping.

Have our high pressure small forwards stopped trapping the ball in our F50?

Couldn't agree any more.
Docherty would be superb defensive wing, and Walsh a superb attacking wing.
Make this change and bring Dow into the centre, allows him to play to his strength in there.
Shifting the magnets like this would make us incrementally better.
Newnes/Setterfield/Cottrell sorry not going to cut it and probably not a part of our next flag so let's move on from that

100% agree Cookie, bring Dow or Kennedy, Carroll and Stocker in for those three, shift it around and I believe there will be improvement. It then depends on our half forwards and backs working in link up play in transitioning the ball from D50 to F50, which then moves the spotlight on some other names like Fisher, Martin, Owies, Williams and Newman. Sporadic and inconsistent so far. Saad and Doc, different story.

Last edited:
All the mids in at the contest, no defensive sweeper goal side, they let us force it out under pressure to a free Freo player at nearly every contest.
This. Very much this.

Our 'clearances' aren't nearly as to our advantage as they were at the start of the year. Teams are letting us get the hurried handball or blind kick out of the congestion that is very often intercepted by an opposition player, then they are off to the races. This was particularly noticeable at non-centre bounce clearance setups.

We very often have too many players committed to the contest and not enough hanging back a bit. We overcommit and the opposition just guard the contested space efficiently and give no clear option to whoever ends up with the ball, so we over-possess to try and break through, and usually turn it over in the process.

Freo did this very well - very much like Richmond in their day, and we have no answer for it.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree any more.
Docherty would be superb defensive wing, and Walsh a superb attacking wing.
Make this change and bring Dow into the centre, allows him to play to his strength in there.
Shifting the magnets like this would make us incrementally better.
Newnes/Setterfield/Cottrell sorry not going to cut it and probably not a part of our next flag so let's move on from that

Think Kennedy is well ahead of Dow, while pushing the likes of Doc and Walsh to the wings

Comparing our midfield numbers to Freos mids, it looks like our mids had a day out

View attachment 1382705

View attachment 1382706

Where is it going wrong? For years, we have speculated that our defenders were being put under too much pressure, because our midfield were short on numbers, not hard enough (except for PC) and not classy enough. But with Hewitt, Kennedy and Cripps all going well, we are certainly tough enough. With Hewitts DE being very high and the class of Cerra we should have the class to compete. But we clearly are having problems.

Something has changed from our preseason form and our early season form. It seems to me that the wheels have started to fall off since we lost our defensive structure when Gov and OMac went down. The ability to setup play from defence seems to be deteriorating. Perhaps having a Lever type of intercepting defender with class is more important than we realize.

Are we being let down on the wings? Leading to repeat rebound opposition F50 entries?

With Marchbank coming back eventually and Gov the same, hopefully we can look forward to a resumption of the elite football that we were playing 3-4 weeks ago. here's hoping.

No not much has changed...Freo were pretty solid and damaged us literally...CFC played OK....considering they were out to do damage
Lewis Young ....nice game !
Think Kennedy is well ahead of Dow, while pushing the likes of Doc and Walsh to the wings
Dow is a frustrating one....he is actually excellent on the burst ,his glimpses are actually good....but he just doesnt stay on the boil,attacking....
again is he now fit for 4 attacking quarters?....has this changed?.........i think its a mental thing with him,he seems to lack aggression,maybe he might be too sane for this?
Gov is excellent however .. dont build on him because his injury history is exhausting...ok
Same with Marchbank.....who will take a lot of work ...a lot of work to work well again
the dust has settled a bit and we will be lucky to win half of our remaining games....so yes the finals are on ,just but Voss will be working hard and i feel thats where he wants it...not too much pressure either way...we have had a lucky run,thats all and we needed it[we got a few early wins]
Sorry this unit were never going to challenge in 2022...
We do have some nice reserves
Kemp
Stocker
Phiiip
LOB
Dow

Last edited:
I actually think its our Half Forwards that let us down defensively.

Williams, Newman, Saad are generally in good defensive position while also attacking well.

It's the opposition half-backs that are providing all the link up play and even a lot of forward 50 entries.

My 2c anyway.
I 100% agree with this.

I was at the ground last night on ground level and I can guarantee you the likes of Saad, Williams, Doc and Newman put in a huge effort and held Freo up for some time despite the repeat forward entries, however the problem was when we cleared it our forwards just kept losing contests up the ground so then all just coming back into the d50.

Compared to other teams I think our forwards have shown a real lack of competitive edge be it from gut running to provide a lead or chase someone down, repeat efforts or even a bit of daring to take on and beat an opponent in the air or on the ground.

I wouldn’t just limit it to criticism of the small forward either because Charlie and Harry didn’t provide much either albeit the latter was hampered by injury.

It also showed me how important Silvagni is as he is capable of giving us this sort of lift but again this points to an unhealthy reliance on individuals similar to the problems we are having in the ruck at the moment if Pitto goes down.

Last edited:
Not sure why you would say this. He took some good marks, defended well by punching from behind a no. times and created - used the ball well. He got beaten once 1v1, if I remember correctly.
IMO, he performed better then Weits, who I think is definitely carrying something but also has directly costed us goals multiple weeks. I don’t get what I’ve missed with all the negativity regarding Young.

Ps. Goes int the ruck and kicks a goal. Sorry I like the kid - a lot.
my view down near the goals in Q2 - I thought his positioning was poor and got beaten regularly
but if you want some vision Just watch the Mini Match on AFL App
1:50 - out marked way too easily and then let’s them play on
2:34 - again outmarked, is outbodied way too easily, can not spoil
4:36 - outmarked, no body strength, poor effort

i am not going to go on, this is just the highlights/lowlights and I don’t want to watch this game again

i wasn’t impressed

We already have the Lever type. Unfortunately, Jacob is unable to play in his natural role because of the shortage of numbers.

You hit the nail on the head with Gov and OMac.

We need to trade for one at the end of the year. Someone in the 22-25-year-old bracket who is ready to be a shutdown defender.

Free up Jacob to play in his most natural and gifted position and it'll change everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coincidentally, despite the loss, how bloody good does it feel to actually be hated again and to have teams playing their non-local rivalry grand final against us?

Been a very long time since we've been able to genuinely say this.

View attachment 1382705

View attachment 1382706

Is it simply a case of too few, having to do too much? We have 5 out of the top 6 possession getters right there, we also had 10 of the worst 12 possession getters On the ground.

We already have the Lever type. Unfortunately, Jacob is unable to play in his natural role because of the shortage of numbers.

We need to trade for one at the end of the year. Someone in the 22-25-year-old bracket who is ready to be a shutdown defender.

Free up Jacob to play in his most natural and gifted position and it'll change everything.

Prefer Jacob be the Steven May and shut down his man plus intercept. No reason he cant. The best key defenders do. Even more valuable then the Lever type.

Probably a loss from the start, Pitto going down sealed the deal. Freo bought the heat and we wilted.

We are a work in progress. Injuries to irreplaceable players hurting us again …. Are we cursed?

If anything this game showed we had way too many VFL players who just cannot step up.

My major concern is our pressure, Freo just had so much space and it wasn’t the only team this year!

Our defensive pressure is pretty ordinary and teams score at will, looks like we have been worked out early.

Grave concerns about the north game, they will bring the heat as they know it’s what humbles us.

The loss of Jones is telling.

No not much has changed...Freo were pretty solid and damaged us literally...CFC played OK....considering they were out to do damage
Lewis Young ....nice game !

Dow is a frustrating one....he is actually excellent on the burst ,his glimpses are actually good....but he just doesnt stay on the boil,attacking....
again is he now fit for 4 attacking quarters?....has this changed?.........i think its a mental thing with him,he seems to lack aggression,maybe he might be too sane for this?
Gov is excellent however .. dont build on him because his injury history is exhausting...ok
Same with Marchbank.....who will take a lot of work ...a lot of work to work well again
the dust has settled a bit and we will be lucky to win half of our remaining games....so yes the finals are on ,just but Voss will be working hard and i feel thats where he wants it...not too much pressure either way...we have had a lucky run,thats all and we needed it[we got a few early wins]
Sorry this unit were never going to challenge in 2022...
We do have some nice reserves
Kemp
Stocker
Phiiip
LOB
Dow

Never going to challenge?

we missed Pitto and JSOS hugely.

That's harsh when we know our back line is unsettled (no Guv/OMac) and Weiters not playing his best.

Ditto Big H up forward and a swag of others far from 'peaking' - Martin, Williams, Fisher, Setters etc....

Fremantle played at a higher intensity and higher speed than we did.

We broke lose, they closed quick we closed a little slower. The ball spilled lose they closed on it quicker. There was more effort and speed around the contest for them.

Our skills were sloppy. We dropped a lot of marks. We missed a lot of kicks we shouldn't. We put pressure on our selves.

Defensive. Lose men forward of the ball. I thought we defended against the switch and corridor play well this week but let ourselves down with the basics. Gee they moved it quickly and easily at times. Failed to lock it into our forward half. Failed to create a contest.

Offensive we rely on individual efforts. They ran from behind play a lot, created overlap run, we didn't do that well enough.

I think we need to get some more speed and outside run into the team. We just looks slow and low on intensity. We need to rotate our forwards through the middle of the ground more as well.

Our forwards are allowed to get "cold" when the play is against us. I'd be pushing them up the field and rotating them through the middle more.

Walsh - He does his job as an offensive mid winning the ball but his tackling of recent weeks has been poor. Onballers need to be better tacklers. Accumulated a lot of the footy but just feel his impact wasn't as high as his numbers.

Cerra - Thought he was ok. His kicking is not outstanding, it's AFL standard.

Cripps - Sometimes he just tries too hard but gee it's a bad look when he's looking to give and there is no one. This is district footy stuff. Thought he was pretty good just poorly supported.

Docherty - Another consistent game.

Hewett - He's been our most consistent player. Another good game from mr reliable.

Saad - Without his individual brilliance we would be stuffed. We get opened up all the time and he just makes it work for us with his pace and attack on the ball.

Newman - Terrible game, butchered it. Hasn't been bad this year but he sometimes has games where he just picks out the worst options.

Weitering - Thought he was pretty good. Looked like we were trying to free him up.

Young - Young was ok. He's a player who plays well below their ability. Very indecisive as a defender. He has talent but he just doesn't have any confidence or arrogance about him to bring it out. He's very under developed physically.

DeKoning - Got another opportunity this week as a ruckman and I thought he was pretty good up against a quality opponent. Even took a few marks.

Williams - Was not his best game however this was not a good game for our defenders, under a fair bit of pressure.

Newnes - Really didn't offer us much.

Cottrell - He was quiet this week but at least he looked like he was putting in effort to chase and apply pressure unlike the rest of them. Offensively looked a bit lost out there but perhaps this says more about how we played as a team than anything.

Fisher - Did nothing at all. Starting to see that he doesn't do the defensive part of his role. Bad day to be a forward though. He should be going on the ball more, says a lot about our coaching, just not rotating the midfielders and leaving forwards stuck doing nothing.

Martin - Showed glimpses but again it was a dirty day for forwards.

Owies - Started well but was really sloppy which is not really like him. Quiet game.

Parks - did some good things but unfortunately he is a weak spoiler. Just an average game.

Setterfield - Pretty poor. Not a great runner, not great over head, nothing special at ground level.

Boyd - All effort but not up to it.

Curnow - Started well then could not find it.

Durdin - Looked good early but was left to get cold in the forward pocket where nothing was happening. Needs to go into the middle more, we could do with the pace and rotations.

McKay - Did nothing. Did his best impression of a statue.

Pittonet - a bad injury for us.
So disappointing that Fisher can’t step up. Sure, when he has the ball in space he’s a threat but there’s no physical presence or application whatsoever and he has had every opportunity. There was an instance on Sat where he appeared to run from an opponent with the ball when a tackle was required . Surely he’s playing for his career in the coming weeks! I wonder whether they look at Jack S. to bolster up defence. Maybe try Zac Williams on one wing? Whatever the result of Pittonet’s injury, TDK needs to play each week from herein. Carlton’s still a team most coaches would love to have under their control. The list contains no shortage of blue chip talent which might be enough to help secure 12 or 13 wins for long-suffering fans but the list appears to tail off badly.

Never going to challenge?

we missed Pitto and JSOS hugely.

That's harsh when we know our back line is unsettled (no Guv/OMac) and Weiters not playing his best.

Ditto Big H up forward and a swag of others far from 'peaking' - Martin, Williams, Fisher, Setters etc....
its pretty good going considering one preseason,new coach new panel,new CEO.....a lot new
JSOS and Pitto are workers...yes we miss
Be careful on Gov....his injury list is not possible...should be a rookie even though he is potentially elite,if he settles down then in

i am seeing 12 wins this year....and thats pretty good

Miles off it…

For the younger ones, kilometres away from AFL standard…

Voss to make a liar of me!
Currently you’re telling the truth
Voss can’t make you a liar
Only the players can prove you to be wrong
I’d too like to be proven wrong

View attachment 1382705

View attachment 1382706

Maybe efficiency is key.

Charlie had multiple 50-100m leads that were ignored, or kicked to the apex of his jump - not to his chest.

Charlie is an elite runner who will smash any KPD in the competition back inside 50 if he takes them for a run up the wing.

I’d be beyond frustrated if I’m Charlie yesterday. His mercurial abilities made his game look passable but he had to work way harder than he should to get 3 scoring shots.

LOB was a good link up option when he was in the side, but he is pretty soft still and doesn’t work hard enough defensively. I still think he’s better than Setters though.

Yes, Charlie led well. But he's not responsible for receiving the second kick out of our D50...that second mark that can slingshot an attack.

Interesting point you made with the kicks going to the apex of his jump.
It happened multiple times in the first half and made me question if the conditions have any effect on the ball.
Freo would be used to this and know to adjust their kicks from the first bounce.

Back