List Mgmt. 2022 Senior List - The Final TWO Spots

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need a Levi type, rather than a pure ruck.
Somebody who can fill a spot as a ruck, or a key forward, or a key back. They can cover injuries in any of those areas, without demanding a best 22 spot, or unbalancing our development in the 2s.

Ballenden sounds like the right 'type', probably doesn't get to our pick.
But I don't think we should have 4 rucks on the list with only TDK a legit forward option of the 4.
I think someone like Ballenden fits the bill. Whether it allows Young to be freed up to ruck or has him rucking makes no difference. I don't think Ballenden will be available at our pick, which leaves our recruitment team with a job to do to find someone of a similar mold.

I think someone like Ballenden fits the bill. Whether it allows Young to be freed up to ruck or has him rucking makes no difference. I don't think Ballenden will be available at our pick, which leaves our recruitment team with a job to do to find someone of a similar mold.
I don't want Young rucking. We need him as a defender, and he is improving by the week as he gets more experience.

I'd also think that it is easier (fitness allowing) for a current non-AFL player to come in and compete in the ruck, than slot in to our 2nd KPD role.

I think we need a Levi type, rather than a pure ruck.
Somebody who can fill a spot as a ruck, or a key forward, or a key back. They can cover injuries in any of those areas, without demanding a best 22 spot, or unbalancing our development in the 2s.

Ballenden sounds like the right 'type', probably doesn't get to our pick.
But I don't think we should have 4 rucks on the list with only TDK a legit forward option of the 4.
Ballenden can get to our pick if we’re the ones who’ve agreed to financial terms like an 18 month contract, which it’s being reported he has applied for and I’d be happy for the club to give him some tenure given our KPP shortage is long term more than short term.

He’s not a perfect solution but he’s the best we can hope for to address the problem at the MSD, a far better option than any one of J Cripps, JGM, Lieu or Radovanovic, as he can potentially act as last resort cover for KPF, KPD and the Ruck.

From the Carlton nominations Radovanovic has probably shown the most. Could do worse with our second pick, depending on who is available that fits the list needs better.

Ballenden can get to our pick if we’re the ones who’ve agreed to financial terms like an 18 month contract, which it’s being reported he has applied for and I’d be happy for the club to give him some tenure given our KPP shortage is long term more than short term.

He’s not a perfect solution but he’s the best we can hope for to address the problem at the MSD, a far better option than any one of J Cripps, JGM, Lieu or Radovanovic, as he can potentially act as last resort cover for KPF, KPD and the Ruck.

Been very impressed with Radovanovic.

Just did a quick google search on some talls who were mature age pick ups...some very handy names here.

Ben Brown
Tom Stewart
Alex Silvagni
Jeremy Howe
Brody Mihochek
Mitch McGovern
Rowan Marshall
Callum Wilkie
James Podsiadly
Brian Lake

Could even throw in Ben Stratton, Dane Rampe and Bailey Fritsch who are shorter but basically play key position.

St Kilda picked up Jack Hayes as a forward ruck just recently and he had an immediate impact before his injury.

Sure, it would be hard for any player to come in mid season and impact. But history shows we could find a player and realistically we only need KPP depth, we don't need to find a star.

Not sure I ever mentioned mature aged recruits.

How many of them were taken in the mid season draft?

Jacob Bauer really appeals to me, partly because he almost shares the same name of my favourite TV characters ever

images

Also it looks like he could be ready to go at senior/AFL level and can play several roles and positions around the ground.

So hope he is available with our first MSD pick

They have a Category B rookie on their list this year and took 2 rookies in the mid season draft last year, one of whom has since departed. Not the first Cat B rookie they have had, either.

The year prior they took an academy kid in the SSP, a few weeks out from the start of the season.
Didn't they pick up that basketballer (dad) and tennis player (mum) kid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Ballenden will be available at our pick, which leaves our recruitment team with a job to do to find someone of a similar mold.
Perhaps.:
Liam Reidy - Big ruck who gets hit outs galore and tackles more than he takes marks but also goes fwd and kicks goals

I would be happy with any two of these, although on needs I think Ballenden and Durdin would help us this year.

Not that excited about Ballenden. Played ruck against Riley Obrien in the SANFL last week and got annihilated. Riley had 37 disposals, 11 marks (4 contested), 13 clearances, 42 hit-outs and a goal. Ballenden had 13 disposals and 10 hitouts. Suggests he is pretty far off being able to compete with AFL level ruckmen and is a pretty average forward.

I wouldn't mind the Durdin and Bauer combination. Durdin mature age (25) and has been the best key defender in the SANFL this year. Has the size at 199cm and 98kgs. Bauer a younger type with more upside and has shown a heap as an undersized key forward / 3rd tall.

Gives us tall defender and tall forward depth. Don't think ruck depth is as much of an issue once we get Pitto back in a few weeks.

Not that excited about Ballenden. Played ruck against Riley Obrien in the SANFL last week and got annihilated. Riley had 37 disposals, 11 marks (4 contested), 13 clearances, 42 hit-outs and a goal. Ballenden had 13 disposals and 10 hitouts. Suggests he is pretty far off being able to compete with AFL level ruckmen and is a pretty average forward.

I wouldn't mind the Durdin and Bauer combination. Durdin mature age (25) and has been the best key defender in the SANFL this year. Has the size at 199cm and 98kgs. Bauer a younger type with more upside and has shown a heap as an undersized key forward / 3rd tall.

Gives us tall defender and tall forward depth. Don't think ruck depth is as much of an issue once we get Pitto back in a few weeks.
Ballenden is more of a key defender and won the B&F for Lions reserves last year playing as a key defender including games where he had in excess of 30 disposals.He is a reasonable ruckman who generally gives a good contest, but is a great intercept defender with a really good kick. Can play forward as well, I have seen him play a lot in Brisbane and there was genuine shock when he was delisted. He was one of the best players when Carlton reserves played Brisbane reserves. O'Brien had something to prove, and that sounds a dominant game, but I wouldn't discount Ballenden on one game, when he has done well enough in SA to be named to the state team and acquitted himself well in that game.

You can carry injured players.

You can carry fringe players.

You can't carry injured fringe players...

I got a couple of laugh emojis to ^^^^ post. Not sure why. I was (uncharacteristically) being serious.

If I wanted to be silly, I would have said...

You can pick your friends

You can pick your nose

But you can't pick your friend's nose...

I don't know, but if Cottrell hurt his finger karate chopping an opponent and then showed dissent...

...It would be a whinging infringing fringe ginger ninja's injured finger...

Just hope it's a stinger that doesn't linger...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back