Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been following the draft crop much, but now we're right in the mix for pick 1 it's peaked my interest.

Is Smillie the consensus number 1?

If Finn O'Sullivan isn't your number one you're doing it wrong. Only challenger is Guy Smillie, if you're into the whole tall midfielder thing.

Who’s Guy Smillie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:hearts::hearts:

Don't be forgetting my guy...

AFL Draft 2024: Top prospect Sam Lalor kicks seven goals in return from injury for Geelong Grammar​

He is known as a midfielder, but this top-10 prospect dominated up forward for Geelong Grammar in his return from injury. And an emerging cricket star proved he is also handy with the Sherrin.

Sam Lalor made an emphatic return. Picture: Alan Barber

Sam Lalor made an emphatic return. Picture: Alan Barber

Sport

Don't miss out on the headlines from Sport. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Unfollow
Top draft prospect Sam Lalor made a stunning return from injury in Geelong Grammar’s season-opener against Wesley College, booting seven goals in his side’s narrow loss.
The Bacchus Marsh product had been kept out of action with both the AFL Academy and Coates League club GWV Rebels but made an emphatic statement in his first game of the year, kicking 7.3 and tallying 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 141 Premier Data ranking points.
With limited match fitness, Lalor played the majority of the first half through the midfield, kicking a goal, before he began cramping and was moved forward.
The bullocking 187cm midfielder went on to kick six goals in the second half, proving his worth as a potential top 10 talent in this year’s draft.
Geelong Grammar football director Troy Selwood said AFL recruiters watching on went in with low expectations but were thoroughly impressed by his display.
Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber

Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber
“They probably were tempering their expectations as to what he might put out as a first up run, but to be able to still find a way to really contribute despite being under duress in the second half, I think that really pleased the people watching,” Selwood said.
“Definitely was one of the more dominant performances I have seen at schoolboys football but obviously there is a lot more improvement left in his game once he gets some proper conditioning over the next month.
“It was quite impressive, he was still very short of a gallop but was able to show probably people who were watching that he has the ability to go forward and be a dangerous option inside forward 50.”

What do people think about Waylon Davey-Motlop?

Saw him play last week and he has some x-factor. Fan favourite with Xavs. Not sure about fitness or running capacity which is needed for smalls.

What do people think about Waylon Davey-Motlop?

Saw him play last week and he has some x-factor. Fan favourite with Xavs. Not sure about fitness or running capacity which is needed for smalls.
He’s 100% X factor…which is another way of saying he only tries to kick freaky goals and not much else. Zero fitness and would probably be the reason skin folds have been banned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back