Brownlow 2023 🏅 Brownlow Medal 🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Use the coaches votes which is a more accurate assessment of the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Until a coach wants to reward or encourage his own. Some are excellent with their votes, while some apportion multiple votes to their players following ten goal defeats.

Contrary to popular thought, I actually have no issue with the umpires awarding votes for the Brownlow. I think they're entitled to have an award that they alone judge

Personally, I think the problem is that we are so steeped in tradition that we tend to weight the award a lot more highly than we do. Other awards. That's a football community thing rather than an umpires thing.

I know having spoken to several players about it that they all rate different awards differently. Some value the coaches award above all else. Are those rate the players MVP award as the most prestigious. Some still value the Brownlow while some players look at it as a great night for a piss-up

The good thing is that we do have these other awards. You can value each as you like just like the players do. There is nothing really wrong with any of them and sometimes human error and bias does play a significant part in the outcome of all of them

Every year there is whinging about the votes and umpires casting them...
Its been the same since 1924, can't see it ever changing, nor should it...

However I'd like to find a way to recognise/reward forwards and defenders, as the Brownlow is a midfielders award...
Maybe have a Lockett Medal for the forward with most votes and a Doull Medal for the defender with the most votes

First Brownlow haven't watched since 92.. whether just busy with work (preso this morning) or still flat after Saturday and needed a break from AFL for a while, also realising none of our players had a shot with our start to the season.

Gobsmacked at Neale winning the thing and a heck of a lot of other votes that were given to other players. Even Cripps getting so many votes compared to Cerra, Saad, Newman, Weitering who I think had far more impact on the season in its entirety than what Cripps did on field (leadership impact different story).

At least the Daicos hype didn't over influence umps giving him votes where not deserved... but Neale is a total surprise... Wanganeen and Woewoedin reincarnated.

Runners with suits and he’s Italian 🤦‍♂️ kids these days lol

Changed his shoes

Blues-at-the-Brownlow-20.jpg

OH, Errol, I would give anything just to get him to us. Carlton supporter as a kid, does that count anymore?

He's magnificent, isn't he? His run of form to finish the year was outrageous. In a magic wand scenario, he's the player the Blues would love to have. His left boot is part cannon, part surgical tool.

First Brownlow haven't watched since 92.. whether just busy with work (preso this morning) or still flat after Saturday and needed a break from AFL for a while, also realising none of our players had a shot with our start to the season.

Gobsmacked at Neale winning the thing and a heck of a lot of other votes that were given to other players. Even Cripps getting so many votes compared to Cerra, Saad, Newman, Weitering who I think had far more impact on the season in its entirety than what Cripps did on field (leadership impact different story).

At least the Daicos hype didn't over influence umps giving him votes where not deserved... but Neale is a total surprise... Wanganeen and Woewoedin reincarnated.

I reckon it's the first one I have watched since 92.

Hard knowing which way the votes will go as a lot of it is speculation by the media. Not sure whether the umpires get the stats or just go off gut instinct of what they have seen, will have to ask my ex umpire friend.

My gut feel is that the previous winners get a leg up by the umpires, or is it that we judge them harsher as we compare them to their best years?

Bontompelli did himself no favours, as when he was good, he was ridiculously good and probably should have been awarded 5 votes, but when he was just good it didn't match his ridiculously good games, if that makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F66wti7bkAAeryF

CARLTON

Patrick Cripps – 22
Charlie Curnow – 17
Sam Docherty – 7
Jacob Weitering – 6
George Hewett – 5
Sam Walsh – 5
Blake Acres – 3
Nic Newman – 3
Adam Saad – 3
Adam Cerra – 2
Harry McKay – 2
Jack Silvagni – 2
Jack Martin – 1

No, because it would be so obvious if there were any bets on JHF to get votes in that game.

It should act as a basis to ask the umpires, how did the four of you come to this?

Which umpire pressed for this?

There’s always strange decisions but this one is the craziest one I’ve seen from this count.

Very hard to claim a player was influential with no goals and 13 touches.

Every year there is whinging about the votes and umpires casting them...
Its been the same since 1924, can't see it ever changing, nor should it...

However I'd like to find a way to recognise/reward forwards and defenders, as the Brownlow is a midfielders award...
Maybe have a Lockett Medal for the forward with most votes and a Doull Medal for the defender with the most votes

Agree - Midfielders medal - the fact that players like Jacob Weitering, Darcy Moore, Lever and May hardly get a vote is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back