Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko would absolutely love Curtin, all his teams are built on intercepting & ball use off HB.

Clarko will get his way IMO, opens up a few options for us gonna be an exciting night

Fox Footy Article

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Picks: 5, 48, 50, 52, 53, 56

Latest intel:
The Bulldogs were prepared to part with three first-round picks during the trade period to get their hands on Pick 4 as they highly rate the top of this draft class. Most sources expected the Dogs to take Tassie ball magnet Ryley Sanders. But should one of North Melbourne or Hawthorn take Daniel Curtin, Eastern Ranges small forward Nick Watson would likely slide down the order and be available for the Dogs. In that scenario, sources still believe the Dogs would take Sanders over Watson, but suggest their call wouldn’t be as straightforward. Elsewhere, the Dogs are well placed to match a bid on 200cm father-son prospect Jordan Croft – the son of ex-key position Bulldog Matthew Croft. That bid could come as early as Sydney’s pick or as late as Adelaide’s third pick, but the expectation is it’s unlikely he’ll get past St Kilda.

Best-case scenarios: Colby McKercher somehow slips to Pick 5. If not, the Hawks opt for Daniel Curtin at their pick, giving the Dogs the option of Ryley Sanders or Nick Watson. Father-son key forward Jordan Croft then doesn’t receive a bid until the early or mid-20s.

Worst-case scenario: North takes McKercher and Watson then the Hawks take Sanders – for the Dogs aren’t picking Curtin with their first selection. Then a bid on Croft comes as early as Sydney’s pick.

Anyone have that herald sun article from today about Sanders’s professionalism and how he missed his formal for footy?

I want Watson. Then Curtin. Then Sanders. That’s my order. Sanders just feels very vanilla to me.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but the WA and SA comparisons when Eagles and Crows joined are pretty valid given a similar level of home state pride.

Many players chose to go back, plenty stayed with their Vic club.

With Sanders, a big factor is that he is a Launceston boy who has lived in Melbourne for a couple of years.

As such, playing for a Hobart based club may not be overly enticing.

Hobart Schmobart. He'll leave for the enormous sack of cash they throw at him, while muttering something-something-friends-family, like they all do.

We did ok but only because we finished bottom 4 the year we took our pick and only because we nailed the selection.
There will be no multiple first rounders either, free agency has set the value of losing a player - it will be one pick tied to ladder position, potentially in a draft where Tassie has already been given the first few picks.
I don't like that value.

yep, will be a total s**t sandwhich

I’m not that concerned about the Tassie factor. It’s 4 years away and he’ll be able to contribute for each of those seasons.

We’d also receive great compensation if he did leave at the point. Think Ward landing us Macrae. Something we’d take every day of the week.
Sanders has spent a lot of time in Melbourne and is pretty comfortable here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 6 and future 1st from Melbourne for pick 5 is verrrryy tempting. It does look like that is a tier below talent wise though and we would have to love a Windsor, Curtin or Leake (Dees want Sanders). That or potentially Eagles future 1st next season plus steak knives if they really want Curtin. Would take massive stones though to do either and I doubt we even entertain it

Pick 6 and future 1st from Melbourne for pick 5 is verrrryy tempting. It does look like that is a tier below talent wise though and we would have to love a Windsor, Curtin or Leake (Dees want Sanders). That or potentially Eagles future 1st next season plus steak knives if they really want Curtin. Would take massive stones though to do either and I doubt we even entertain it

I’d rather take sanders although it is a monster deal

I wonder how we'd all feel if Melbourne gave us 6 + F1 for 5 (Watson/Sanders), and then Eagles give us F1 for 6 (Curtin).

We get nothing this year, but 2 1sts next year, including a likely top 2 pick.

Not an impossible scenario.

Last edited:

I would do that if, and only if, Curtin goes before our pick and Watson and Sanders are both there. Dees take one, we take the other, and we get one of the two guys we want plus an extra pick next year.

I wonder how we'd all feel if Melbourne gave us 6 + F1 for 5 (Watson/Sanders), and then Eagles give us F1 for 6 (Curtin).

We get nothing this year, but 2 1sts next year, including a top 2 pick.

Only if we use them to trade back in this year. We can't afford to delay getting in a top line small for another year imo

I don't think that's right. Pretty sure they got two first round picks.

Melbourne got pick 4 and another first round selection which - with a bit of jiggery pokery - meant they also landed Jesse Hogan and Dom Barry (but gave up their own first round pick). Or something like that. It was a very complex set of deals that GWS engineered.

Happily it didn't really work out for either club.

The point being that Melbourne got two first rounders for former #1 pick Scully who was a bust while we got one first rounder for Ward who was already a star for us and became a club legend for the Giants.
Actually you are correct. I'd forgotten the 2nd pick Melbourne got.

They ended up with Toumpas and Aiden Corr for Scully, whilst we got Macrae for Ward.

Even allowing for the extra pick, still reckon our outcome stacks up.

Sanders has spent a lot of time in Melbourne and is pretty comfortable here
I’m not too worried either. Is a bloke skipping his year 12 formal to go on a 30 minute Friday night jog really moving to Tassie at 22 years old to get belted for 2-3 years? Whatever the AFL tries they just won’t be competitive from the first year.

Much more likely outcome I think is he sticks around in Melbourne for 8 years and moves to Tassie on a monster free agency deal having avoided their garbage initial years.

We get nothing this year, but 2 1sts next year, including a likely top 2 pick.

I would do this. Only thing I’d want to know is how many academy and FS are there next year. Could Melbourne’s F1 be a mid 20s pick?

I would do this. Only thing I’d want to know is how many academy and FS are there next year. Could Melbourne’s F1 be a mid 20s pick?
In my humble opinion , I would contemplate the Melbourne deal, based on Watson or Saunders and Curtin being available. Wouldn’t do the west Coast deal.

Next year is pretty relaxed for us dogs supporters
Esp with NGA ruling changes coming in

Back