Review 2023 AFLW Supplementary Draft Discussion April

Remove this Banner Ad

For VIC the top end probably isn't as deep as this year, only Pisano really stands out as an elite prospect at this stage
Ava Jordan is worth a mention. Although I haven't seen much of the '05 crop, what stands out to me is the lack of an elite prospect with size. Not necessarily Ham size but even just Hipwell/Clarke type stature. That's where Keck, Pisano and Jordan may be quality players but they aren't particularly big it seems.

Pisano, Keck and co were 15 years old when the shutdown started in 2020 so opportunities were far and few between if any so this is completely understandable.

For some, U15's is normally a good launching pad and to have had this taken away from the Victorians could be the difference between team representation next year.

Sort of similar for the 2024 crop but there's at least a sliver of games afforded to us to assess them.
Any idea when the draft will be?

I'm not privy to any draft day and date chatter but, if this year and previous years are any indication, June-July.
You would think they should move in line with the new calendar - ie, all other players will be doing their pre seasons and draftees would be very late to that.

Any idea when the draft will be?
There was some strong word that it'd be in Feb not too long ago, not sure how clubs feel about it though given there wouldn't be time for State comps or a full U18s Champs

Hey that bit is interesting;
It's believed that after next year's overage draft, the League then plans to revert back to a traditional national draft – where the junior season falls more in sync with the AFLW campaign and the majority of the talent pool will be made up of 18-year-olds – from the end of 2023 onwards.

From there, the timing of AFLW trade and draft periods are tipped to fall in line with that of the men's competition and are expected to be held towards the end of each year.

So they're expecting a winter season more or less. I wonder if they mean 17 rounds (presumably not 23).

You'd be expecting most clubs select from their own VFLW side/ the girls they've had as train on players really, minimal games, or absolutely 0, for players that missed out on the last draft makes it hard for new contenders to suddenly be seen as 'draftable'

So they're expecting a winter season more or less. I wonder if they mean 17 rounds (presumably not 23).
I'd be shocked if the league pushes for anything other than a ten round season in 2023. They've never been enthusiastic about extending the season. I believe they even tried to shorten it once.

I'd be shocked if the league pushes for anything other than a ten round season in 2023. They've never been enthusiastic about extending the season. I believe they even tried to shorten it once.
Yeah I heard Livingstone's interview on the CTTG podcast. Made me absolutely livid just listening to it.

There's probably good reasons not to extend the season, but the bluff and bluster pretending it's not a thing was offensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I heard Livingstone's interview on the CTTG podcast. Made me absolutely livid just listening to it.

There's probably good reasons not to extend the season, but the bluff and bluster pretending it's not a thing was offensive.
What did she say on CTTG? I've fallen out of the habit of listening to that, and I usually avoid interviews with the execs as they usually just puff out hot air.

Also I can't see them doing future trading while the draft order itself is so unstable.

They're using the draft for equalisation purposes, adding loads of picks into the first round and as of the last one, taking picks off clubs who don't lose enough players.

If they do the same to force more equalisation again, what exactly would you be trading? You might think another club's first pick is a top 10 pick, but then that team makes finals, loses their first pick because they're too strong compared to the weakest clubs in the league. Then what?

What did she say on CTTG? I've fallen out of the habit of listening to that, and I usually avoid interviews with the execs as they usually just puff out hot air.
I don't listen to it regularly, I listened to a few episodes in the lead up to Season 7 that were about Essendon probably. The Livingstone one was about the Season 7 CBA and stuff:

It was a while ago but what I remember fundamentally is that she was offended that they even asked her about not being in town while the CBA was being negotiated, rather than diplomatically using it as a chance to clear the air.

Then when they asked about the players getting to be full time eventually, she started trying to sell it as being great for the women to have so many opportunities to develop their lives outside footy, have great work/life balance, and how the men don't get those opportunities because they're full time.

Then they asked about a full season and she's like "what does a "full season" mean? We have a full season" and like completely seriously too, she wasn't joking around before giving a real answer.

Does that make this thread irrelevant now?

Does this "over ager" bollocks mean it's essentially the old school Mid-Season Draft?

I wouldn't be thinking of it as a one-off.
The girls that play the next U18 season (the ones that this thread was originally about) will be drafted at the end of 2023 by the sound of it.

This thing is an interim draft to be held before the 2023 season, which presumably will be moved a bit earlier again.

If the draft is to be held in Feb or March then add a 3 month pre-season starting 2 weeks pre-draft and you have a June start. If they negotiate a 4 month preseason, then a July start.

I don't listen to it regularly, I listened to a few episodes in the lead up to Season 7 that were about Essendon probably. The Livingstone one was about the Season 7 CBA and stuff:

It was a while ago but what I remember fundamentally is that she was offended that they even asked her about not being in town while the CBA was being negotiated, rather than diplomatically using it as a chance to clear the air.

Then when they asked about the players getting to be full time eventually, she started trying to sell it as being great for the women to have so many opportunities to develop their lives outside footy, have great work/life balance, and how the men don't get those opportunities because they're full time.

Then they asked about a full season and she's like "what does a "full season" mean? We have a full season" and like completely seriously too, she wasn't joking around before giving a real answer.

If this is the gist of it, then it's not even worth listening to.

Sounds like PR spin or PR bullshit.

Also, 17-22 rounds makes up a full season.

And full season my arse.

Don't s**t on my plate and call it a cake.

The girls that play the next U18 season (the ones that this thread was originally about) will be drafted at the end of 2023 by the sound of it.

This thing is an interim draft to be held before the 2023 season, which presumably will be moved a bit earlier again.

If the draft is to be held in Feb or March then add a 3 month pre-season starting 2 weeks pre-draft and you have a June start. If they negotiate a 4 month preseason, then a July start.

This necessitates its own thread.

This and its siblings are the of age crops.

They're using the draft for equalisation purposes, adding loads of picks into the first round and as of the last one, taking picks off clubs who don't lose enough players.

This surely is reason enough to extend the draft.

30 players is too small a playing list.

Get it up to 45 in the long term.

If 8 players are injured for instance, that's at least more viable for a 45 player club than an 8 out of 30 injury list.

This surely is reason enough to extend the draft.

30 players is too small a playing list.

Get it up to 45 in the long term.

If 8 players are injured for instance, that's at least more viable for a 45 player club than an 8 out of 30 injury list.
30 player lists and the lack of depth in the talent pool to sustain a 45 player list is one of the reasons (the logical-not-bullshit ones) for having a shorter season. They need a lot more investment in grassroots to get it to that point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back