Fixture 2023 Fixture - Rnds 16 - 23 Released 18th March 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture has finally been released (1 day early).

Gill would have been fuming it was leaked by The Age :laughv1:

1055-COMM22-2023-Blockbuster-Blues-Fixture-Downloadable.png

It seems you and Stamos are assessing the draw using different criteria
Stamos - breaks between games/level of travelling
morningbrown - which teams we are playing twice

I feel everyone (including Media) has only look at what morningbrown is using and called it a great fixture. I'd be interested in seeing more analysis around Stamo's perspective though and comparing to our opponents.
Yeah, the media seems to have a very superficial assessment of the fixture.

Geelong got an armchair ride last year, not because they played North and West Coast twice, but because they played 11 consecutive Saturday games. Makes everything so much easier with that level of consistent routine and recovery.

Kings Birthday Night eve vs * is an intriguing timeslot. If we get a decent crowd and TV ratings, maybe we can make it another annual blockbuster, like Dees v Spitmond on Anazc Day Eve ...

Hope both clubs really push hard with rivalry promos etc for this and try build it up and get a big crowd, probably the last remaining blockbuster timeslot available around a public holiday. Maybe they have and that's why we landed it.

Gotta feel for North. Got the most difficult fixture in the AFL.

Every week they play a better team. Tough.
Not that I particularly care about North but how is their draw the hardest? Their double ups are Essendon, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Hawthorn, West Coast and Melbourne, so only one 1 finalist for last year. In contrast Fremantle, Sydney, Geelong and Port all play 4 finalists from last year and there’s a host of team that play 3.

Not that I particularly care about North but how is their draw the hardest? Their double ups are Essendon, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Hawthorn, West Coast and Melbourne, so only one 1 finalist for last year. In contrast Fremantle, Sydney, Geelong and Port all play 4 finalists from last year and there’s a host of team that play 3.

I think you may have missed the satire of that post friend :)

It seems you and Stamos are assessing the draw using different criteria
Stamos - breaks between games/level of travelling
morningbrown - which teams we are playing twice

I feel everyone (including Media) has only look at what morningbrown is using and called it a great fixture. I'd be interested in seeing more analysis around Stamo's perspective though and comparing to our opponents.
Brackets did this at post #136.

Our days between games below and difference compared to our opponents.

Seems reasonable, start 8 games with extra rest and only 3 with less. The less favourable breaks between games aren't generally against strong opposition.

7 / +1
9 / +3
6 / 0 (North)
6 / +1 (Crows)
10 / +3
6 / -1 (Eagles)
6 / 0 (Lions)
8 / +1
8 / +1
5 / -1 (Sydney)
7 / +1
9 / +2
7 / Bye (GCS)

Geelong got an armchair ride last year, not because they played North and West Coast twice, but because they played 11 consecutive Saturday games. Makes everything so much easier with that level of consistent routine and recovery.

At the same time it felt like every week we were coming up against a team who had an additional day of recovery and preparation.

I remember it being discussed during the worst of our injury run.

Our days between games below and difference compared to our opponents.

Seems reasonable, start 8 games with extra rest and only 3 with less. The less favourable breaks between games aren't generally against strong opposition.

7 / +1
9 / +3
6 / 0 (North)
6 / +1 (Crows)
10 / +3
6 / -1 (Eagles)
6 / 0 (Lions)
8 / +1
8 / +1
5 / -1 (Sydney)
7 / +1
9 / +2
7 / Bye (GCS)
Good first part of the analysis, but it's more important to factor in consecutive breaks, and travel.

They don't play North

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing that seems odd with the fixture is that we only have one home game in the first 5 rounds.

While we've been 'rewarded' with prime time games, it seems more of a case of propping up the attendance for other teams as only 2/7 of those are our home games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 day break compared to 7 day break for athletes at peak performance shouldn’t be the indicator for a win or loss to be honest. It’s 1 day, if you can’t win cause you have 1 less day to prepare that’s pathetic. Geelong has heaps of 6 day breaks and still won 18 games

6 day break compared to 7 day break for athletes at peak performance shouldn’t be the indicator for a win or loss to be honest. It’s 1 day, if you can’t win cause you have 1 less day to prepare that’s pathetic. Geelong has heaps of 6 day breaks and still won 18 games
1 offs don't have so much influence, it's what happens over multiple weeks.
And again, the Cats had 11 consecutive Saturday games. 11!

One thing that seems odd with the fixture is that we only have one home game in the first 5 rounds.

While we've been 'rewarded' with prime time games, it seems more of a case of propping up the attendance for other teams as only 2/7 of those are our home games.
Home:
Thursday - 1
Friday - 1
Saturday - 1
Sunday - 4

Away:
Thursday - 2
Friday - 3
Saturday - 2
Sunday - 0

I must admit from a selfish perspective I hate Thursday & Friday night matches. Being in WA, they are either a 420 & 450 (first few rounds daylight savings) or 520 & 550. Makes it hard when you finish work at 5pm (or are suppose to). Most Friday nights I miss the first qtr and a bit 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back