Fixture 2023 Fixture - Rnds 16 - 23 Released 18th March 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture has finally been released (1 day early).

Gill would have been fuming it was leaked by The Age :laughv1:

1055-COMM22-2023-Blockbuster-Blues-Fixture-Downloadable.png

Hope both clubs really push hard with rivalry promos etc for this and try build it up and get a big crowd, probably the last remaining blockbuster timeslot available around a public holiday. Maybe they have and that's why we landed it.
This might be an unpopular opinion but I feel like if we have a 'marquee' fixture against one of our biggest rivals, then it may make the rivalry seem manufactured later down the line. Let me explain:
When we play Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon they are landmark fixtures on their own as they are rivalries that have been built over 100 years. People might say R1 v Richmond but I don't classify that as a landmark fixture as there is no actual event attached to it. Its just the first game of the season and the AFL need 2 big rivals to maximize the attendance.

The reason why Essendon play Collingwood and Richmond on ANZAC Day and Dreamtime is because they need a landmark game to manufacture a rivalry with each other. If you know your history you will know that Ess v Coll and Ess v Rich aren't real rivalries, they are just big clubs with big supporter bases, so if you give them a landmark game then it tricks people into thinking that they have some sort of rivalry. This isn't to say that these clubs supporters' don't like each other, they probably don't, but the clubs themselves aren't real rivals. Carlton have played 6 GFs each against all 3. Ess and Rich have only played 2 GFs against each other, both in the 40s. And before 1990 the last time Ess and Coll played in a GF was 1911.

There is a reason why Sheedy wanted Ess to play Coll on ANZAC Day, because Carl and Ess were already massive rivals, and ANZAC Day would help Carlton financially/comercially which Sheedy wouldn't want. So he chooses the next biggest club off the rack, because if Essendon have a landmark game against a club the size Collingwood, then it manufactures a rivalry between the clubs which makes Essendon seem more relevant than what they actually are. The same logic applies here with Richmond on Dreamtime.

Carl, Rich and Coll are all rivals based on-field as well as proximity. Unfortunately for Ess due to their residence, their rivalries with Carl and Haw are just on-field. The only 1 that is both on-field and proximity related is North, but here's the thing. Essendon fans always try to downplay their rivalry with North because North are a small, irrelevant club, and naturally they don't want to associate with a club that they are considerably bigger than, as it doesn't maximize their image. Whereas the other 3 are all massive rivals with each other, so if Essendon can contrive a rivalry with Rich and Coll through a landmark game, then it makes Essendon seem bigger then what they are. And they have sucessfully achieved this as there are people who genuinely believe that the bombers are rivals with the pies and tigers. A real Collingwood fan hates Melbourne far more than Essendon. If they don't then they are likely under 15 and have zero knowledge about their club's history. These types of fans are the ones that say stuff like "I actually don't mind if Carlton taste some success because they have always been down the bottom in my lifetime", and think that West Coast are their rivals.

So if this King's Birthday Eve becomes a landmark event then so be it, however we certainly don't need it, as all our rivalries are actually genuine and don't need an event to hype them up.

I must admit from a selfish perspective I hate Thursday & Friday night matches. Being in WA, they are either a 420 & 450 (first few rounds daylight savings) or 520 & 550. Makes it hard when you finish work at 5pm (or are suppose to). Most Friday nights I miss the first qtr and a bit 😢
That would suck.....

I must admit from a selfish perspective I hate Thursday & Friday night matches. Being in WA, they are either a 420 & 450 (first few rounds daylight savings) or 520 & 550. Makes it hard when you finish work at 5pm (or are suppose to). Most Friday nights I miss the first qtr and a bit 😢
Don’t ever let work interfere with living (or watching footy).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep…. History says that if you start your season 0-2, you are incredibly likely to miss finals. The Richmond game becomes even bigger than just a huge season opener.

It’s less about starting 0-2 and then finding it difficult to make the 8 and more so that most top 8 teams rarely are bad enough to lose for the first 2.

Section 537. Eastern Stand on the wing. Just hope I don't get stabbed by a rogue pair of knitting needles.
If you read the T&C’s you will find that is an exclusion from Adelaide Oval’s liability, along with injuries due to projectile false teeth, red wine stains and physical altercations arising from being too vociferous in your support.

Does Stig O'Hara know his joint will be headquarters for all Blues supporters?

He will have to own a mansion at Unley Park for that to happen, I honestly think there could be a crowd of at least 10 K Blue Baggers for that game in the city that Time Forgot :)

Num3ers does strike me as a very successful self-mad man though, so nothing would surprise with him :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back