Fixture 2023 Fixture - Rnds 16 - 23 Released 18th March 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture has finally been released (1 day early).

Gill would have been fuming it was leaked by The Age :laughv1:

1055-COMM22-2023-Blockbuster-Blues-Fixture-Downloadable.png

Looking forward to round 5 now.. if only the missus was more of a footy nut i would've got tickets to all AO games.

We will have to work out which pub will be the "carlton pub" before the game...

Play Twice
Collingwood - Play them twice, beatable but lost both matches this year. Hard to tell whether this is a good or bad thing.
GWS - They should be a beatable team, I don't think they will be that good so this is a win.
Gold Coast - Even though we lost to them last year they are a weak side we should beat.
Melbourne - Expecting them to be pretty good.
St Kilda - They weren't much last year but again we lost to them. A new coach could see them overperform.
West Coast - Going to be a weak team so this is good for us, should be a percentage booster.

Mixed opinions with who we play twice. Melbourne, Collingwood were good sides last year. St Kilda were mediocre and the rest were weak. However 4 out of 6 teams are teams we lost to. If we excel as a team and right the wrongs of this season and beat teams like St Kilda, Gold Coast, Collingwood etc then this part of the draw is a positive but from our results this year it will be a challenge. But it's a challenge we have to overcome.

Last Season we doubled up on:
Richmond - 1.1
Fremantle - 1.1
Adelaide - 1.1
GWS - 2.0
Collingwood 0.2
We came away with 5 wins 5 losses, we will need to do better next season.

Play Interstate
GWS - They should be weak again but you can't be sure of this, either way we went interstate and won up there this year.
Adelaide - They could be a team on the up. We travelled there this year and were embarrassed by them, going down easily. This won't be an easy game.
West Coast - A weak side we went over there and accounted for easily, this is a bonus for us.
Sydney - Always a better team on the SCG, this will be a challenge.
Fremantle - We lost to them easily over there but beat them in Melbourne. This is a game which will be tough.
Gold Coast Suns - A weak team but we lost to them up there this year so we can't declare this to be in the bag, not by a long shot.

Last Season
GCS - Loss
Fremantle - Loss
GWS - Win
WCE - Win
Adelaide - Loss
Lions - Loss

Our record interstate last season was terrible, only beating the very weak teams. 4 losses and 2 wins needs to dramatically improve for us to make finals. Whatever our issues with travelling are we need to get on top of that. On 2022 form you would think we are going to struggle to win all of those games apart from WCE and maybe GWS.

I think our draw is fair but it's not easy. We play are a poor interstate team who plays enough sides good enough to beat us on our current interstate form. We double up on teams who have been our bogey sides. However we don't double up on teams who should be really strong apart from Melbourne. It's also fair to say that none of the interstate sides may be super strong.

It's a fair draw but one which challenges our weaknesses IMO.

Looking forward to round 5 now.. if only the missus was more of a footy nut i would've got tickets to all AO games.

We will have to work out which pub will be the "carlton pub" before the game...
O'Hara's Tavern

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles, Pies, Saints, Suns, Giants & Dees as our double ups.. Dees the only team guaranteed to be a finals player (i expect pies to fall away)

What it means is there is simply no more excuses, this team needs to not only just fall into the 8 but establish themselves as a key player and potential top 4 team. We should get off to another strong start, Tigers will be rejuvenated but we should be confident and traditionally the premiers start slowly so no reason we should fear Geelong round 2 and the rest should be locks if we are half as good as we think we are.
Melbourne won their first ten this season.

The Adelaide game next year is a bell weather one for our season for me. After last years shameful performance in this fixture at the Adelaide Oval (not to mention our record at the ground) and kicking off arguably the biggest weekend in South Australian football history they will be penciling it in as a win. If we are a serious football team with desire for success we will equally be pencilling it in for a win to make amends for last years loss which ultimately blew up our year, and set up our 2023 season.

Doubt Cats will be way better than everyone else and also doubt Dockers with Luke Jackson and O'Meara will fall out of the top 8.
Pies will have a tougher draw this season and probably used their amount of luck with narrow wins that it will probably even itself out over the two seasons and they will probably be more on fringe of the 8. I expect Dockers in the 8 at expense of Dogs or Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back