Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1.Brisbane: Clear winners of the trade period imo, Dunkley takes some weight off of Neale and Gunston takes pressure off Cameron and Daniher. With both of these they also get the no.1 draft pick, couldn't ask for much more. Although if they underperform again surely it's bye bye Fagan. (1-4)

2.Melbourne: Still a genuinely fantastic side, their forward line still has question marks which puts their flag credentials at risk. How grundy and gawn perform together continues to be one of the most interesting questions going into next season. (1-5)

3. Richmond: Another trade period winner, addressed their biggest need. Having lynch for a full year and dusty possibly recovering puts them in contention. (although it's equally as possible dusty continues his fall in which case Richmond probably finish 4-7). (1-7)

4. Geelong: I'm unsure whether they'll still have the hunger going into next year after their ever allusive flag chase finally comes to an end, doubtless they continue to have a quality list. (1-7)

5. Carlton: This list is good enough, a coleman and brownlow medalist. 2022 seemed to come undone due to injuries, if they stay fit they should be fighting for top 4, finals is a minimum expectation. (2-8)

6. Freo: Another top 4 aspirant, unsure if they filled their forward line needs in the off-season (especially with losing lobb) and a lot falls on Jackson to deliver. Fyfe coming back fit could be massive, though i'm unsure if he can. (4-10)

7. Collingwood: Lot's of close games which you wouldn't expect them to win again, a harder draw, older players continue to age and no more new coach bounce. Although with their final's performance you would be hopeful they can recreate a top 4 finish, one of the harder teams to predict next year. A higher ceiling than fremantle, but a lower floor. (2-12)

8. Sydney: History shows getting smashed in a grand final results in a disappointing follow up year. However they are still young and could easily place a few spots above this. (4-12)

9. Port Adelaide: Probably underperformed at the start of last year which cost them their finals spot, they were 1st in 2020 and 2nd in 2021 and they could bounce back with a slightly easier draw. (6-12)

10. Bulldogs: Fully fit bont should make a difference, however losing your first placed bnf is never a good thing. I expect they finish similar to last year, fighting for finals. (6-12)

11. Suns: losing rankine is probably offset by gaining King, a young core which should continue to improve. Another finals aspirant, however their disappointing offseason has me ranking them below the other teams fighting for the 8. (6-12)

12. Saints: An average team, maybe ross the boss can take them back to the soaring heights of 6th however it's equally as likely they have another disappointing season. (6-14)

13. Essendon: I really don't know what to make of the dons after their disappointing year, another team I find hard to judge. (7-15)

14. Adelaide: if we were judging based on forward lines we probably make finals, unfortunately 2/3 of our team are still 1-2 years away. (9-14)

15. WCE: Senior players were immensely disappointing, however they may come back fitter and less covid interrupted. (14-18)

16. GWS: A poor year, followed up by a poor offseason. Not looking good. (15-18)

17. North: It's highly unlikely for a team to get 3 wooden spoons in a row, I probably would've put them 18th if it wasn't for the offseason of another team. (15-18)

18. Hawks: You simply cannot cut the amount of experience they did without severe impact to your results, however I suspect this is by design. (15-18)

1) Geelong
2) Sydney
3) Fremantle
4) Melbourne
5) Collingwood
6) Brisbane
7) Carlton
8) Bulldogs
----------------
9) Port Adelaide
10) Richmond
11) Gold Coast
12) Hawthorn
13) Essendon
14) Adelaide
15) GWS
16) Saints
17) North Melbourne
18) West Coast

1.Brisbane: Clear winners of the trade period imo, Dunkley takes some weight off of Neale and Gunston takes pressure off Cameron and Daniher. With both of these they also get the no.1 draft pick, couldn't ask for much more. Although if they underperform again surely it's bye bye Fagan. (1-4)

2.Melbourne: Still a genuinely fantastic side, their forward line still has question marks which puts their flag credentials at risk. How grundy and gawn perform together continues to be one of the most interesting questions going into next season. (1-5)

3. Richmond: Another trade period winner, addressed their biggest need. Having lynch for a full year and dusty possibly recovering puts them in contention. (although it's equally as possible dusty continues his fall in which case Richmond probably finish 4-7). (1-7)

4. Geelong: I'm unsure whether they'll still have the hunger going into next year after their ever allusive flag chase finally comes to an end, doubtless they continue to have a quality list. (1-7)

5. Carlton: This list is good enough, a coleman and brownlow medalist. 2022 seemed to come undone due to injuries, if they stay fit they should be fighting for top 4, finals is a minimum expectation. (2-8)

6. Freo: Another top 4 aspirant, unsure if they filled their forward line needs in the off-season (especially with losing lobb) and a lot falls on Jackson to deliver. Fyfe coming back fit could be massive, though i'm unsure if he can. (4-10)

7. Collingwood: Lot's of close games which you wouldn't expect them to win again, a harder draw, older players continue to age and no more new coach bounce. Although with their final's performance you would be hopeful they can recreate a top 4 finish, one of the harder teams to predict next year. A higher ceiling than fremantle, but a lower floor. (2-12)

8. Sydney: History shows getting smashed in a grand final results in a disappointing follow up year. However they are still young and could easily place a few spots above this. (4-12)

9. Port Adelaide: Probably underperformed at the start of last year which cost them their finals spot, they were 1st in 2020 and 2nd in 2021 and they could bounce back with a slightly easier draw. (6-12)

10. Bulldogs: Fully fit bont should make a difference, however losing your first placed bnf is never a good thing. I expect they finish similar to last year, fighting for finals. (6-12)

11. Suns: losing rankine is probably offset by gaining King, a young core which should continue to improve. Another finals aspirant, however their disappointing offseason has me ranking them below the other teams fighting for the 8. (6-12)

12. Saints: An average team, maybe ross the boss can take them back to the soaring heights of 6th however it's equally as likely they have another disappointing season. (6-14)

13. Essendon: I really don't know what to make of the dons after their disappointing year, another team I find hard to judge. (7-15)

14. Adelaide: if we were judging based on forward lines we probably make finals, unfortunately 2/3 of our team are still 1-2 years away. (9-14)

15. WCE: Senior players were immensely disappointing, however they may come back fitter and less covid interrupted. (14-18)

16. GWS: A poor year, followed up by a poor offseason. Not looking good. (15-18)

17. North: It's highly unlikely for a team to get 3 wooden spoons in a row, I probably would've put them 18th if it wasn't for the offseason of another team. (15-18)

18. Hawks: You simply cannot cut the amount of experience they did without severe impact to your results, however I suspect this is by design. (15-18)
I like your reasoning. Solid prediction.

Great list. I agree lions did really well in the trade period, so I’m not sure why I’ve seen some articles saying they didn’t do well and didn’t address any needs. They will be strong next year imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great list. I agree lions did really well in the trade period, so I’m not sure why I’ve seen some articles saying they didn’t do well and didn’t address any needs. They will be strong next year imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Seem's bonkers how you can pick up a bnf winner, a proven goalscorer whilst securing the no.1 pick (with another likely first rounder) and it be anything but fantastic.

Lions to lose next season.

Dees, Cats, Swans most likely to make up top 4.

Port, Tigers, Freo, Pies, Dogs, Blues fighting for a spot in the 8.

Bombers the team to potentially make the big jump after a poor season. They are the big floater.

Saints, Suns, Crows and Giants hanging in there but battling

Hawks, Kangas, Eagles tanking for Harley.

They still don't have a decent second KPF and their back line is still suspect.
Back line is probably the most consistent area for the Lions. Got a good mix of KPD's, lock down mediums and attacking smalls.

Curious as to why you think it's suspect?

If anything I think the wings is the area that is suspect and could do with an upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Melbourne
2. Geelong
3. Brisbane
4. Bulldogs
5. Richmond
6. Freo
7. Collingwood
8. Carlton

9. Sydney
10. Port
11. Essendon
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Gold Coast
15. St. kilda
16. GWS
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Back line is probably the most consistent area for the Lions. Got a good mix of KPD's, lock down mediums and attacking smalls.

Curious as to why you think it's suspect?

If anything I think the wings is the area that is suspect and could do with an upgrade.
Because they had 7 matches where they let through 100 points or more and another 4 where they let through 90-99 points, and they ranked 8th for points against.

That does have a lot to do with the team defence, no doubt - but some of the teams that scored over 90 were not that great.

Because they had 7 matches where they let through 100 points or more and another 4 where they let through 90-99 points, and they ranked 8th for points against.

That does have a lot to do with the team defence, no doubt - but some of the teams that scored over 90 were not that great.
Probably more to do with the midfield getting belted on the outside. The ball came in quickly and easily if the Lions mids didn't win it.

Dunkley will address a big need for defensive pressure in the middle.

Probably more to do with the midfield getting belted on the outside. The ball came in quickly and easily if the Lions mids didn't win it.
Yeah, you are right - it's probably the main contributor. I say suspect because I saw a few instances where the backline structure fell down, I just felt they got a bit rattled on a few occasions. But like you say, when the ball is coming in fast it's easy to make the backline look bad.

Cats best defensive and offensive structure.. Ruck is a worry.. Can be beaten in the midfield..

Melbourne now have the two best rucks in the comp.. Had a down year, but can rebound.. Can win the flag next year.

Sydney will be there about again

Lions better, but defensively still average

Pies better with McStay improved their structure

Tigers added to the midfield, but it's their defensive structure that is a worry.

Blues will be bolters next year.

Fremantle will drop IMO.. Lost a lot of structure...

Swans will bounce right back. They aren’t like ‘most sides’.
And to be fair, Geelong would have absolutely smashed everyone that day.
Like the Dogs?

The prize for the 2023 wooden spoon should be a colonoscopy and the league should make that clear before the H&A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back