Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I agree I'm all for keeping those picks if we do trade one or two of them I suspect it won't be enough to get us into the top 10 but it might be enough to get Swans 12 or Saints 13.
We might need to be adding future 2nd's into the equation, which again, I hope we don't do.

I'm still firmly of the belief WC want McKercher, but so do we.

So, is it almost getting to a point where the concensus opinion now isthat getting Reid at pick 2 is like a disapointing loss and we ought to have tanked R23 for McKercher?

Or are we trying to trick the WCE list manager into panicking and making a false selection at one?

So, is it almost getting to a point where the concensus opinion now isthat getting Reid at pick 2 is like a disapointing loss and we ought to have tanked R23 for McKercher?

Or are we trying to trick the WCE list manager into panicking and making a false selection at one?
Not at all, because we rate McKercher so highly we will gladly take him at pick 2 and then Duursma at 3. However if the Eagles rate McKercher higher than Reid they can either take him at 1 OR trade with us.

If they do trade with us, and I'm not convinced they do, we certainly won't be paying overs as we're under no pressure whatsoever to get the trade done. McKercher and Reid both address different issues for our list we win regardless of who we take.

Last edited:
If we want Geelong's P8 we have to take Sanders off the board early....that's who I reckon they want

Yeah, I reckon that's wishful thinking from them thanks to Twomey and other "expert" rankings. Who really thinks he gets to 8 given how much of a stink and backlash was being kicked up by clubs when it was suggested we'd get him for nix by being in our NGA.

Not at all, because we rate McKercher so highly we will gladly take him at pick 2 and then Duursma at 3. However if the Eagles rate McKercher higher that Reid they can either take him at 1 OR trade with us.

If they do trade with us, and I'm not sure they do, we certainly won't be paying overs as we're under no pressure whatsoever to get the trade done. McKercher and Reid both address different issues for our list we win regardless of who we take.

This is bang on the nose. We'd love Reid but the gulf between him and McKercher is not substantial enough (to us) for some bounty of picks. If the Eagles are ultimately worried about Reid's commitment to them then I'm sure a token trade to get them their second choice will be fairly arranged but I severely doubt the desperate call with the motherload some of their fans seem to expect is coming draft morning.

I’d be pretty dirty if I was a Cats supporter and they traded down from 8 to a combination of our picks.
Until they get something in a trade for Ratugolea they have pick 8, then their next picks are at the very end of the draft at like pick 80+. They have to make a minimum of 3 selections at the draft. So that’s the appeal for them to drop back. Of course they could also trade future picks to have some higher selections.

I can’t work out the logic with a large majority of WCE supporters and this pick 1 ‘conundrum ‘ which I pretty much blame the WA Media for (or WA Medusa more like it).

Since the eagles finished last it’s like Reid has become some sort of superhuman, constantly pumped up as the messiah by the WA media to the point a pick swap of only 2&3 for pick 1 became a thing..

I understand the WA Chardonnay’s are used to decent success and the times they’ve been at the bottom of the ladder they ended up with Judd & Nic Nat, so their expectations are quite high, but those expectations are not realistic.

Yes Reid is a sensational footballer for his age but there are still question marks on his tank and the potential flight risk, so he’s not an ironclad pick 1 for them.

(Assumed pick 2) McKercher is an electric midfielder who accumulates at will and at pick 3 Duursma has been the absolute freak in all the big games leading into the draft.

So on what planet does a swap of Reid for McKercher & Duursma sound like the eagles have the whip hand?.. other than the WA Media brainwashing the eagles fans with false hope.

If Reid somehow ends up in Perth the pressure on him to be a superstar from day 1 will be mind blowing.

He’s not Chris Judd, he’s not Nic Nat, who both had elite physical attributes to make them have an instant impact at AFL level. They both came into pretty handy teams too, this time their first pick is walking into a pile of steaming poo.

We’ve seen first hand with LDU that the power players take a few years to get up to AFL speed and when they do it’s great to watch, but the WA media have conditioned the Eagles supporters to think Harley is going to walk in and win them a flag.

No wonder the kid doesn’t want to go there - who the * would?..
This is why I love what we did last year and this year. Getting a few picks at the top reduces the amount of pressure on our draftees as a whole. Sheezel knows he has Wardlaw and George there to help shoulder the load.

If we somehow end up with Reid, without losing both pick 2 & 3, he will have so many other young stars around him to grow with.

This needs the Mr Wolf meme, "Let's not start........just yet" etc etc

It's just a theory. I don't think everything is as it seems. WC are "waiting on medicals" etc. I dunno, doesn't add up to me. I am suss on most things though.

For all we know, McKercher could be giving WC "Judd-like" vibes when they watch him play...He definitely gets from the inside to outside the contest in a pretty similar fashion

I’d be pretty dirty if I was a Cats supporter and they traded down from 8 to a combination of our picks.
Don't be too sorry. With our luck we'd pick the Jacob Edwards out of the hat and their pick #17 would be the next James Kelly and their pick #18 would be the next Harry Taylor.

Not sure about that personally. they would rate their ability to develop great players from those later first round picks very highly based on the past decade or so, and they need more than just one player here to have a hope of rejuvenating their aging list

Depends how many list spots to fill

Right now they have pick 8 and nothing else
So would pick at the end of the draft
They’ll get 25 for Esava if they can’t convince him to stay in the next 4 hours

If they have a few senior list spots to fill 15,17,25 and 60 (whatever the last pick in the draft is)
Could be better than 8,25,60 and 61

Don't care either way, just that we definately do NOt sell the farm for #1. Hopefully we never have picks 2 and 3 in the same draft ever again and view it as the once in a 154 year opportunity that it is! Im onbaord the McKercher & Sanders train, keep the tassie boys together. Trading for #1 stuffs that up. Staying at 2 and 3, gives us the Reid "consolation" prize should they decide to take anyone else and "it was out of our hands", if Kerch and Sanders were hoping to play together. Keep our teens picks where I think we can address list needs. Seems a no brainer to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was interesting that someone posted in this thread (somewhere on our board) that other boards had raised that some recruiters had a concern or perhaps a question mark on Reid and concussions. He did get a bad one this year. And then this from O'Brien.

For those that move in recruiting circles is it a thing?

Could WCE possibly use it as a reason not to select Reid? Should it come into consideration for us trading up?

More likely it's all BS but is there anything to it? Hate to tag Souup - must have been asked over 100 questions in this thread! But love your work.

It was interesting that someone posted in this thread (somewhere on our board) that other boards had raised that some recruiters had a concern or perhaps a question mark on Reid and concussions. He did get a bad one this year. And then this from O'Brien.

Could WCE possibly use it as a reason not to select Reid? Should it come into consideration for us trading up?

More likely it's all BS but is there anything to it? Hate to tag Souup - must have been asked over 100 questions in this thread! But love your work.

I'd say it's less to do with Reid physically and more to do with them having internal questions about whether they are going to draft at 1 at all.

Smoke-and-mirrors GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Dream scenario

I hope that we do 3 for 6 and 11

And then 15,17,18 for 7

Mckercher, Sanders/Curtin, O’Sullivan, Wilson/Leake
Problem I have with that, is we are likely to be "reaching" for players who meet needs. I think having the picks we do is well balanced, in best available at 2 and 3 and needs based the others. Of course unless we are hell bent on picking up O Sullivan in which case we need to get another top 10 pick.....but again no guarantee someone jumps ahead of us there. Personally prefer having 3 teen picks to meet needs.

Don’t overpay.
We’ve got 5 real good picks which two are at 2+3
In fact don’t trade up - we take who’s available out of the big 2
And DO NOT get rid of 3......unless we have 1 AND 2, which is most unlikely. Must keep 2 of the top 3 picks, in whichever order they end up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back