Autopsy 2023 Rd 5 Blues get smashed by Crows

Who played well for the Blues vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it potentially has a huge impact...when you consider the home gound advantage the Adelaide and Perth sides already have...along with the fact they play home finals on their home deck.

Completely bogus point. Melbourne clubs have very little home ground advantage for most of the season. Granted it's not foreign territory, but when Melbourne teams play other Melbourne teams, it matters little.

When the SA teams play 11 games against an opponent in completely foreign territory, and now a 12th, it has potential to have a major impact.

If they do get to keep this permanently, don't ever whinge about having to play a GF in Melbourne...ever.
It's not like we played a home game in SA spare a thought for GWS who lose a home game to the worst team in the comp.
Maybe we need to have gather round in Vic next year and play Adelaide as their home game maybe that will even the ledger for how unfair it is. 😛

We have been on a 6 year rebuild and still can't beat Adelaide. Are teams are way too soft and always have excuses. We have a bunch a soft mentally weak players who don't care if we lose. O'Brien is a prime example - he is so soft and has no mongrel. Can't even lay a tackle.
Chill a little, no such thing as a soft AFL player. When drafted you are a top 80 kid at the age of 17 in the whole country, as if ‘soft’ players get onto AFL lists.
Lob’s not great in a 1-1 battle, but he doesn't shirk them, just sadly loses a lot of them

Our ability to chain uncontested possessions, break lines, pass through zones and move the ball forward before the opposition setups is pretty deplorable though. We have players that can win the ball but our ability to starve teams of the ball outside of winning an ungodly amount of contested possessions is pretty bad. Speed definitely matters when it comes to shutting down the oppositions uncontested possessions. No point worrying about winning the ball if we can't force a contest in the first place.

Even against Adelaide we had patches where we dominated possession but it took us about 10 times the effort to gain ground. Not to mention that we move the ball out of defence so slowly that the opposition can jog into position to force the 50/50 kick to the boundary line.
This 👍

I only realised a couple of weeks ago that the AFL had actually given us an EXTRA interstate away game.

Compare that to Geelong who get a free hit at the rabble of WC.

Finals spots come down to 1 win here or there.

This is effectively a massive penalty to us and the dogs. Any team playing the home team in gather round should have 1 less away fixture for the season. I'd have thought that was obvious.

The AFL takes the unevenness of the draw to a new extreme with this gather round nonsense. Purely a money grab by the league.

It’s not all doom and gloom as some make it out to be. I think the perception from us is more of a projection of our expectation as the supporter base after 8 years of a rebuild. We demand consistency and results and Thursday was a massive hiccup from what we thought we had finally moved away from. And so we ******* should btw. We sit 3rd or 4th going into Round 6, and are playing a team above us next. We sit in a sweet spot still after a dismal performance and some very average footy in the first month. We’ve gotta take note of that despite the s**t that was dished up. I think I’ll be so much more disappointed and frustrated this week, if we don’t respond.

The loss needs to fuel the group to look at every opponent equally and prepare as such each time, mentally. To not drink their own bath water, you have not made finals as a group yet or won a flag. More so to open Voss and the coaching groups eyes to our deficiencies, because im very worried moving into a game where counter attack and fast clean ball movement will be spotlighted again on Sunday from the Saints. All in all, this week will show me whether we are fine or ****ed for the tough run we have in the next 7 weeks.

It’s not all doom and gloom as some make it out to be. I think the perception from us is more of a projection of our expectation as the supporter base after 8 years of a rebuild. We demand consistency and results and Thursday was a massive hiccup from what we thought we had finally moved away from. And so we ******* should btw. We sit 3rd or 4th going into Round 6, and are playing a team above us next. We sit in a sweet spot still after a dismal performance and some very average footy in the first month. We’ve gotta take note of that despite the s**t that was dished up. I think I’ll be so much more disappointed and frustrated this week, if we don’t respond.

The loss needs to fuel the group to look at every opponent equally and prepare as such each time, mentally. To not drink their own bath water, you have not made finals as a group yet or won a flag. More so to open Voss and the coaching groups eyes to our deficiencies, because im very worried moving into a game where counter attack and fast clean ball movement will be spotlighted again on Sunday from the Saints. All in all, this week will show me whether we are fine or ****ed for the tough run we have in the next 7 weeks.
no question in my mind quite a few of them had gotten well ahead of themselves, and sadly, that includes the so called leaders.

They've proved jack at this point in time and their level of football overall this year, sadly, has been bloody poor.

This group is talented and they can play good quality, attacking footy (we saw it plenty in 2022).

Why they aren't now is anyone's guess?

They're presently averaging under 80 points a game..... again, poor (and odd given the likes of Charlie and Harry).

And that's on the coaches largely.

no question in my mind quite a few of them had gotten well ahead of themselves, and sadly, that includes the so called leaders.

They've proved jack at this point in time and their level of football overall this year, sadly, has been bloody poor.

This group is talented and they can play good quality, attacking footy (we saw it plenty in 2022).

Why they aren't now is anyone's guess?

They're presently averaging under 80 points a game..... again, poor (and odd given the likes of Charlie and Harry).

And that's on the coaches largely.

Absolutely. I could add a lot on our stoppage set up and midfield balance but it’s been said ad nauseam. The coaching group as a collective need to have a re think about what is happening or has happened on Thursday, and realise after 5 rounds of average footy, we need to tinker.

As for those leaders drinking bath water, i agree. Hope they’ve had the reality check, because the expectation is a finals birth at the very least.

I would rather have my home ground as the grand final venue then a random extra match at home a year.

One game means a lot more than the other.
And I'd rather have a genuine home ground advantage against every other team except one during H&A, but we don't always get what we want.

It's not like we played a home game in SA spare a thought for GWS who lose a home game to the worst team in the comp.
Maybe we need to have gather round in Vic next year and play Adelaide as their home game maybe that will even the ledger for how unfair it is. 😛
Nobody loses any home games. This is an EXTRA round.

Just as long as we don't have to play Adelaide or Port next year in Gather Round...otherwise it's a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Matthews raised a good point about how this further erodes the integrity of the draw. This gather round is an EXTRA round of footy...which guarantees the 2 Adelaide sides an extra home game each year...on top of the huge home ground advantage they get by playing 12 games a year at the AO already. It's a pretty big advantage they'll get every year if ths stays in South Australia.
That's actually far from a good point. Typically this is seen as a Victorian based view on the landscape.

We have been on a 6 year rebuild and still can't beat Adelaide. Are teams are way too soft and always have excuses. We have a bunch a soft mentally weak players who don't care if we lose. O'Brien is a prime example - he is so soft and has no mongrel. Can't even lay a tackle.
We still can't win at Adelaide Oval. We've been flogged there by good sides and really ordinary sides. What goes?

My point was not just about our rucks being weak in that game only. I mean it in a more fulsome sense. Week to week we are weak, so to speak.
TDK is not a very good tap ruckman at this stage- things could click for him at any time or not - I don't know - it changes week to week for most ruckmen according to fitness /opponent set ups what the mids are doing or not. The Essendon ruck Phillips and Draper - 'schooled' GRundy in that game...Pittonet is consistent - at least he doesn't get physically over powered and pushed off the ball- but he is an ordinary ruckman compared to the better ones out there - I agree at this stage they both are nto great positives - but I dont think the ruck is our biggest issue.

Tough loss, thank * the Saints lost or we would be hearing all about Ross the Boss. I know it's easter but he aint jesus,

We need to move the ball quicker and press when we don't have it.

I feel like teams don’t fear us, they go in to the game knowing we are mentally weak and if they pressure us enough we crumble. It’s almost like they are pumped to be playing us and relish the opportunity to make us look ordinary. I dream for the day where teams say, oh no we’re playing Carlton. It’s the opposite at the moment.
Not sure about the pumped to be playing us, look forward to it and relish the opportunity to make us look ordinary etc. part, that's fanciful imo, but definitely I think every team would go into the game thinking they're half a chance as we're likely to fold mentally at 3qtr time. Teams would always feel like they're in with a shot.

Even trailing by 5 goals they always know we'll stop and start playing not to lose with 30 mins to go and all they need is or 2 goals to really make us panic.

Leigh Matthews raised a good point about how this further erodes the integrity of the draw. This gather round is an EXTRA round of footy...which guarantees the 2 Adelaide sides an extra home game each year...on top of the huge home ground advantage they get by playing 12 games a year at the AO already. It's a pretty big advantage they'll get every year if ths stays in South Australia.
Oh rubbish.

The integrity of the draw is in tatters every year because Victorian clubs play home games all season. Every year the draw is immensely weighted toward Vics.

Maybe if the AFL let them play in Adelaide 18 times a season and have the Grand Final there every year then you/Leigh would have a point, but as it is now Vics have no right to complain about the draw.

Something I've often thought about, quietly, is that our midfield gets overrated a tad.

I mean, on paper it's excellent. But last couple years all too often there's massive chunks of games where we just don't win the ball, which is meant to be our one wood.

I won't say a bad word about Walsh though. That boy is phenomenal.
I've been thinking the same. The drop-off after Cripps and Walsh is probably bigger than we think.

It feels like coaches have done homework on our contests and have figured it out. I'm not sure the rotation of Kennedy, Hewett & Curnow through the midfield is keeping many coaches up at night as it might have last season.

Hewett could be health related tbf to him, however, those comments are off exposed form this season. If you're on the field you're expected to perform.

Oh rubbish.

The integrity of the draw is in tatters every year because Victorian clubs play home games all season. Every year the draw is immensely weighted toward Vics.

Maybe if the AFL let them play in Adelaide 18 times a season and have the Grand Final there every year then you/Leigh would have a point, but as it is now Vics have no right to complain about the draw.
Carlton doesn't even have a home ground. Our "home" matches are shared between the 'G and Marvel. Looking at this year as an example...

Home matches at the 'G against a side that also plays some home matches at the 'G - Geelong, Essendon.
Home matches at the 'G against a side that plays all of their home matches at the 'G - Collingwood, Melbourne (not scheduled yet, but likely).
Home matches at the 'G against interstate sides - Gold Coast
Home matches at Marvel against a side that also plays some home matches at Marvel - n/a
Home matches at Marvel against a side that plays all of their home matches at Marvel - Saints, Dogs
Home matches at Marvel against interstate sides - Brisbane
TBA - Port, West Coast, GWS.

Our only truly home ground advantage matches will be the 5 against interstate sides. In the others we'll rely on weight of numbers for a slight crowd advantage.

And yes, we benefit with a decent number of away matches on grounds we're familiar with. But don't pretend that the Melbourne-based sides have anywhere near the level of home ground advantage that the interstate sides enjoy. In particular the WA/SA teams, who can generally rely on 90%+ parochial crowds at 10 of their 11 home matches (11/12 this year for SA teams), playing against sides that only play there once a year.

Not sure about the pumped to be playing us, look forward to it and relish the opportunity to make us look ordinary etc. part, that's fanciful imo, but definitely I think every team would go into the game thinking they're half a chance as we're likely to fold mentally at 3qtr time. Teams would always feel like they're in with a shot.

Even trailing by 5 goals they always know we'll stop and start playing not to lose with 30 mins to go and all they need is or 2 goals to really make us panic.

the next step is to control the game, (or play not to lose as you put it), take the sting out of the game but kick those two goals ourselves.

Carlton doesn't even have a home ground. Our "home" matches are shared between the 'G and Marvel. Looking at this year as an example...

Home matches at the 'G against a side that also plays some home matches at the 'G - Geelong, Essendon.
Home matches at the 'G against a side that plays all of their home matches at the 'G - Collingwood, Melbourne (not scheduled yet, but likely).
Home matches at the 'G against interstate sides - Gold Coast
Home matches at Marvel against a side that also plays some home matches at Marvel - n/a
Home matches at Marvel against a side that plays all of their home matches at Marvel - Saints, Dogs
Home matches at Marvel against interstate sides - Brisbane
TBA - Port, West Coast, GWS.

Our only truly home ground advantage matches will be the 5 against interstate sides. In the others we'll rely on weight of numbers for a slight crowd advantage.

And yes, we benefit with a decent number of away matches on grounds we're familiar with. But don't pretend that the Melbourne-based sides have anywhere near the level of home ground advantage that the interstate sides enjoy. In particular the WA/SA teams, who can generally rely on 90%+ parochial crowds at 10 of their 11 home matches (11/12 this year for SA teams), playing against sides that only play there once a year.
Maybe FFS you’d like to get on a plane and travel every 2nd week mate….

Back