Autopsy 2023 Rd 5 Blues get smashed by Crows

Who played well for the Blues vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

TDK is not a very good tap ruckman at this stage- things could click for him at any time or not - I don't know - it changes week to week for most ruckmen according to fitness /opponent set ups what the mids are doing or not. The Essendon ruck Phillips and Draper - 'schooled' GRundy in that game...Pittonet is consistent - at least he doesn't get physically over powered and pushed off the ball- but he is an ordinary ruckman compared to the better ones out there - I agree at this stage they both are nto great positives - but I dont think the ruck is our biggest issue.
The ruck issue may or may not not be the biggest problem Jab, but if it all starts at the source, and we have a game plan that revolves around contested possession and clearance, then it is a big part of the jigsaw. Yes the Jabbers duo outplayed the multiple AA ruckman, but how often do our duo outplay a big plodder from say Freo or Ravens, or Steak'n, let alone an elite ruck, like Grundy? I suggest Zero.

I often wonder if TDK could play a role more like his brother does - See ball get ball in the back line, but that would make our current ruck stocks even thinner.

Yep, we looked slow and disorganised a lot on Thursday, but that had a lot to do with Adelaide hitting peak form and method at an emotionally significant time for them. As I said in my opening post, they match up with us very well, quell our strengths, and have a few weapons we cannot counter.

The ruck issue may or may not not be the biggest problem Jab, but if it all starts at the source, and we have a game plan that revolves around contested possession and clearance, then it is a big part of the jigsaw. Yes the Jabbers duo outplayed the multiple AA ruckman, but how often do our duo outplay a big plodder from say Freo or Ravens, or Steak'n, let alone an elite ruck, like Grundy? I suggest Zero.

I often wonder if TDK could play a role more like his brother does - See ball get ball in the back line, but that would make our current ruck stocks even thinner.

Yep, we looked slow and disorganised a lot on Thursday, but that had a lot to do with Adelaide hitting peak form and method at an emotionally significant time for them. As I said in my opening post, they match up with us very well, quell our strengths, and have a few weapons we cannot counter.

We've only got these two to play ruck - that's the issue there; but even so more troubling is :

1. I never thought I'd see our midfield absolutely destroyed and embarrassed like that - that is a bigger issue and it has NOTHING to do with 'leg speed'.;and
2. Picking players who aren't fit Hewett and Kennedy ; and
3. The whole defensive flooding crowding out teh defensive fifty and having nothing to kick to... what was all that about- sick of watching that lame strategy or whatever it is week in week out now...

St Kilda game and selections will be very interesting - the bunsen burner is lit now after the nature of that loss.

TDK has looked pretty slow and cumbersome when he has played as a key forward so I doubt he has the mobility to play key defensive back in a regular basis.

What I was disappointed with on Thursday was it seemed like once O’Brien denied him his preferred run up at centre bounces TDK couldn’t figure out how to respond.

It does highlight that Tom is still prone to a shocker against the bigger rucks. Until he can learn how to handle them we simply have to play Pitto.

That said we’ve looked good this year when we have played the 2 rucks as opposed to trying to pinch hit with Silvagni in the ruck.

IMO SOS as a relief ruck is not viable as he just can’t compete against the big bodies and it also robs us of his leading to link play and pressure in the forward line.

If one of Tdk and Pitto are unavailable I actually think we’d be better off playing Kemp or S Durdin in the back line rotation to allow Young to relieve the first ruck.

Charlie in the square, put H at CHF, Cincotta to half back, Saad in the guts.
We saw against Norf when H was up the ground it seemed to open up our fwd line considerably. Saad will add the extra pace we need in the midfield.
Hewitt or Kennedy for the sub.
Maybe???

Oops, sorry wrong thread, my bad.

Charlie in the square, put H at CHF, Cincotta to half back, Saad in the guts.
We saw against Norf when H was up the ground it seemed to open up our fwd line considerably. Saad will add the extra pace we need in the midfield.
Hewitt or Kennedy for the sub.
Maybe???

Oops, sorry wrong thread, my bad.
You're creating more problems than you're solving!

Very intelligent by all parties. Our corporate group give in-directly to the club while also personally enjoying a great range. We still are the envy of all other clubs with such support and leverage. :D

Can't wait to be successful on field shortly - the hatred will be deep.

Not sure why it's even a story. The test cricketers stay at Penfolds nearly every year around the Adelaide test but it isn't brought up...

Just trying to rile people up by saying "Cawww look was these elites are doing... all while the team lost... so out of touch"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why it's even a story. The test cricketers stay at Penfolds nearly every year around the Adelaide test but it isn't brought up...

Just trying to rile people up by saying "Cawww look was these elites are doing... all while the team lost... so out of touch"
Not a good look when your team doesn’t show up at the start of the game though.

Not a good look when your team doesn’t show up at the start of the game though.
Why is it not a good look, aside from media framing? What impact does it have on anything the players did?

I'm sure our guys weren't the only exec types from footy clubs to enjoy the wine scene in Adelaide, and from what the media has said it's only going to get bigger in the Barossa region in future gather rounds.

Why is it not a good look, aside from media framing? What impact does it have on anything the players did?

I'm sure our guys weren't the only exec types from footy clubs to enjoy the wine scene in Adelaide, and from what the media has said it's only going to get bigger in the Barossa region in future gather rounds.
Yeah, and I have a bit of a wry smile about it. What were they have meant to do? It would've been arranged weeks in advance. Were they meant to have said, "Sorry, our team played awfully, and so we can't support you and thank you for your support of us."?

Not showing up was bad enough without knowing about the wine scene…now knowing about it just adds a bit more questioning if they prepared properly for the game.

Not showing up was bad enough without knowing about the wine scene…now knowing about it just adds a bit more questioning if they prepared properly for the game.
The players weren't there, were they? As I understand it it was the boffins that sit upstairs at the winery.

Needless to say if they players were having a boozy lunch the day before a game that'd be a different story - and just saw your post above and I believe it was a day or 2 later.

The players weren't there, were they? As I understand it it was the boffins that sit upstairs at the winery.

Needless to say if they players were having a boozy lunch the day before a game that'd be a different story - and just saw your post above and I believe it was a day or 2 later.
Yeah, it was 260 or so coterie members - no mention of any players attending. Average spend ~$4k. Given the sponsorship deal, and that the coterie members are generally not short of a quid, there really shouldn't be an issue with this. And it wasn't necessarily a boozy lunch with a big spend. In all likelihood, the bulk of the money spent was buying some stock for their cellars (and probably with a decent discount). It's a real non-story, nothing for anyone to get outraged over imo, irrespective of the match result.

Yeah, it was 260 or so coterie members - no mention of any players attending. Average spend ~$4k. Given the sponsorship deal, and that the coterie members are generally not short of a quid, there really shouldn't be an issue with this. And it wasn't necessarily a boozy lunch with a big spend. In all likelihood, the bulk of the money spent was buying some stock for their cellars (and probably with a decent discount). It's a real non-story, nothing for anyone to get outraged over imo, irrespective of the match result.
Sounds impressive but membership to have been invited costs 12k. That's not a deal. I'm a hotys member and get free popcorn refills for just $15 a year. Who's really coming out on top.

Members of a business coterie spending money on a sponsor's products at their members lunch.
I am positively flabbergasted...
Spot on, who seriously give a flying *.
I spend about the same money each year trying to land sane game multi’s, which is something else nobody could care less about.
(Side note, I don’t spend that much on same game multi’s, but it kinda feels like I do given how rare it is I actually land one).

Back