Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
There was some simply outstanding debuts and young talent on display, but the first nomination of the season is a no brainer

Harry Sheezel 34 possessions on debut (9 contested) already looking likely one of the most probable chances to win the whole thing.

Sheezel did well racking it up, monty for this weeks nom

Happy enough with Ginbey's performance for the Eagles, racked up 12 tackles on debut which is second only to Jai Newcombe for the record. If he can keep that up he will get a nom in the coming weeks.

I think it will definitively be a closer award than what the bookies and media have led us to believe, with them having basically already awarded it to Ashcroft since the draft.

It looks a really strong RS class to me, especially with some left overs from 2022, which is funny, as it was stated as a shallow draft and an even top 10 that wasn’t particularly note worthy.

Sheezel, Ginbey, Phillipou, Callaghan and McKenzie all look good enough to win it on the eye test, apart from Ashcroft.

Goater and Owens look quality eligible candidates from 22 as well who will get noms at some point.

With Wardlaw, Tsatas, Cadman, Clark all to enter the group early in the season also.

• Banned
Some very good performances so far this weekend, Hollands, Ashcroft, Phillpou etc

I believe Samson Ryan is too old be nominated.

At this stage, I would be giving it to Phillipou for having the most scoreboard and arguable match influencing impact in his team's win/performance, although Ashcroft has a strong case too.

Probably a couple of other outstanding performances I missed, and still 3 more games tomorrow.

Feels already this is going to be the strongest field in a few years (last year's draft already seems to be more fruitful than many thought)

Some very good performances so far this weekend, Hollands, Ashcroft, Phillpou etc

I believe Samson Ryan is too old be nominated.

At this stage, I would be giving it to Phillipou for having the most scoreboard and arguable match influencing impact in his team's win/performance, although Ashcroft has a strong case too.

Probably a couple of other outstanding performances I missed, and still 3 more games tomorrow.

Feels already this is going to be the strongest field in a few years (last year's draft already seems to be more fruitful than many thought)
Mitch Owens is eligible as well and I'd say he had a better game than Phillipou with 17 disposals, 3 goals and 4 tackles (3 inside 50). I'd expect Ashcroft to get the nom this week though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Owens is eligible as well and I'd say he had a better game than Phillipou with 17 disposals, 3 goals and 4 tackles (3 inside 50). I'd expect Ashcroft to get the nom this week though.
I don't think the commentators realise Owens is still eligible. His game was extremely impressive for a 19 year old, makeshift key forward.

If he can keep it up, he will get a nomination early in the season.

Last edited:
Must be Ashcroft this week. 31 touches 15 contested possessions, 9 clearances, 1 goal + 1 goal assist is a ludicrous game by an 18 year old

Was probably the most consistent midfielder for Brisbane on Thursday night. 15 contested possessions and 9 clearances playing an opposing midfield consisting of Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney etc. is a fair achievement for a 18 year old.

Won't win the rising star but Alwyn Davey has been great so far.

How did he fall so far in the draft? He was being talked about as a top 10 pick at one point wasn't he? So not surprising he is doing well.

How did he fall so far in the draft? He was being talked about as a top 10 pick at one point wasn't he? So not surprising he is doing well.
Not sure he was top 10 but definitely in that 12-20 range for a while eDPS may be able to clarify. No idea why he slid but happy he did although we were probably never not picking him. Having his brother come onboard as well will be good once his ACL rehab is done. There’s another one coming in 2-3 years or so as well, crazy to think their old man is only 38 still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back